S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! Need information/advice on interior LED lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
Exclamation HELP! Need information/advice on interior LED lighting

Wsup guys, I've searched the forums a couple times and the other Benz website and still nothing.. >_<
I'm sure one of you guys have done this already..
But anyways. For the longest time I've been wanting to change out my interior lighting preferably to a white or blue like. (5-6K)

If you guys can help me with a few things..
Do you guys know any reputable websites who sell quality LED interior lights who won't throw an error code?!

Also all the bulbs I'll need and their bulbs numbers..
I want to change out all the front & rear lights (dome/map), including all reading lights, and floor lights, along with door lights(courtesy), trunk lights, & license plate

Btw, I own a 2007 S550 if that helps

Thanks in advance for those who reply!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
http://iJDMTOY.com/

Not sure on your sizes, but many here have bought from them.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
We have complete kits of extremely high quality units that covers all the interior lamps. Plus you can get them for the cost of shipping IF you can do before and after shots for our site. Contact us via our website if you are interested (not a PM here). Put LED in the subject line.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
Originally Posted by Sjohnny
Wsup guys, I've searched the forums a couple times and the other Benz website and still nothing.. >_<
But anyways. For the longest time I've been wanting to change out my interior lighting preferably to a white or blue like. (5-6K)

Do you guys know any reputable websites who sell quality LED interior lights who won't throw an error code?!

I want to change out all the front & rear lights (dome/map), including all reading lights, and floor lights, along with door lights(courtesy), trunk lights, & license plate

Sjohnny,

I have been trying to update to LEDs as well. I ordered my LEDs from Ebay
item
INTERIOR LED CAR LIGHT BULBS FULL SET Mercedes S-Class W221Item Id:110821073105

Installing these lights is not as easy as one would think. Perhaps we can help each other.

Have you done your tail lights and License plate lights yet? That is a real night mare.

Tony
Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM

2007 S550
Tony,

How many bulbs did the set come with?
I looked around my car and counted about 22 lights that I needed to replace.

2 x License
2 x Back Up (reverse)
4 x Courtesy/Step (i'm not sure if these are above the floor mats or are on the door sills)
2 x Trunk
4 x Vanity Mirrors (front/rear & L/R)
4 x Dome Lights (front/rear & L/R)
4 x Map Lights (front/rear & L/R)

Also, just to make sure, the map lights are the same as the reading lights, right ?

Johnny
Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM

2007 S 65
Tony,

How many bulbs did the set come with?
I looked around my car and counted about 22 lights that I needed to replace.

2 x License
2 x Back Up (reverse)
4 x Courtesy/Step (i'm not sure if these are above the floor mats or are on the door sills)
2 x Trunk
4 x Vanity Mirrors (front/rear & L/R)
4 x Dome Lights (front/rear & L/R)
4 x Map Lights (front/rear & L/R)

Also, just to make sure, the map lights are the same as the reading lights, right ?

Johnny
There is 18 total bulbs in the kit.

I haven't got started on the interior lights yet.

Still recovering from doing the license plate lights. The license plate lights (two ea.) are not part of the kit.

Tony
Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 AM

2007 S550
Hey,

Still hesitant on purchasing those LED lights for the S Class W221; Another alternative could be:
http://www.hidxenonlights.com/merced...ment-kit-p-659

Meanwhile, I was thinking of getting some license plate lights too.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-S-...e-led-c-s3.htm

Has anyone had experience with these before ?

Johnny

Last edited by Sjohnny; 02-25-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
If you are interested in taking good photographs, you can get these for FREE for a very short amount of time.... if you are interested.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM

W221 S550L, W212 E250CDI Wagon
Dont put led's in your reverse light, you wont be able to see **** at night
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
There's 1 bulb under each door, 1 bulb under each foot rest,1 in the glove compartment,1 under the center arm rest,2 for the license plate light. And all of them uses the same bulbs (wedge bulb 128). Anything interior you don't need special bulbs aka canbus-free' or error free' bulbs. But you will need them for the exterior such as side markers,license plate,mirror puddle lights etc. I didn't change out the my my lights,dome lights etc yet so don't know what bulbs those take? Can someone confirm what those take?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:54 AM

I would also like to change interior lighting to led....im gonna follow this thread!Hopefully someone of the led lamps sellers will see this thread .....
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kia Sedona
Originally Posted by CTDK
Dont put led's in your reverse light, you wont be able to see **** at night
what do you mean? would this blind the reverse camera?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by tonykharper
There is 18 total bulbs in the kit.

I haven't got started on the interior lights yet.

Still recovering from doing the license plate lights. The license plate lights (two ea.) are not part of the kit.

Tony
Tony,

I was following your other thread about your dome lights.
I was wondering, where did you get your LED dome lights from? I've been searching all over, and no place seems to have the correct bulb size (2776x or 6486x).

Also, does anyone know where to get 12184 error-free LED lights for reverse/back up?

Johnny

edit: anyone following this thread, here's a way to install the License Plate lights.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-W2...-DIY-a/198.htm

Last edited by Sjohnny; 02-27-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM

2007 S 65
Tony,

I was following your other thread about your dome lights.
I was wondering, where did you get your LED dome lights from? I've been searching all over, and no place seems to have the correct bulb size (2776x or 6486x).

Also, does anyone know where to get 12184 error-free LED lights for reverse/back up?

Johnny

edit: anyone following this thread, here's a way to install the License Plate lights.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-W2...-DIY-a/198.htm

EBAY Item number: Id:110821073105

Thanks for posting the link to the DIY guide. Wish I had seen it before I installed my licenses plate LEDs. I'm still not sure I could have gotten that trim off without breaking something. I ended up breaking out the old light housings and installing the new ones. Needless to say I'm not much of a mechanic.

I'm still worried about installing the interior lights. The only way I see to some of them is to pry out the whole fixture and hope I don't mark the headliner or break the fixture.

Tony
Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM

2016 C450
Johnny,

I bought the license plate lights off eBay a few weeks ago, identical to the link you posted. Kind of a PITA to install, but not overly difficult. The end result is an EXTREMELY bright license plate light with a really appealing color. Definately worth it. For the record, I didn't get any error codes.

As far as LED lighting is concerned, I think the LED license plate lights are about as brazen as I'll get with any installs.

Hey,

Still hesitant on purchasing those LED lights for the S Class W221; Another alternative could be:
http://www.hidxenonlights.com/merced...ment-kit-p-659

Meanwhile, I was thinking of getting some license plate lights too.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-S-...e-led-c-s3.htm

Has anyone had experience with these before ?

Johnny
Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 AM

2007 S550
Lights finally came in today.
So far, I have only attempted to put in one light into the trunk. The LED turns on, but only flashes instead of staying lit.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 "The Diplomat" W211

Dont even mess with it. I changed all my interior and exterior bulbs with quality LEDs with built in resistors and it screwed up my car. It took about 4 hours to figure out how to take apart half the roof to access the bulbs in the ambient lighting system and the domes... another few hours to trying to understand things like this: why my 2 front footwell lights refuse work unless they are a different color LED than the back 2 lights, even tho they are exactly the same bulb and wattage, just different color... There are 3 bulbs in my car that did not accept an LED switch and it makes no since. One of the spots is in my drunk where there are 3 lights, all requiring the same size, shape and wattage bulb. The two lights on the sides of the trunk work fine with LEDs but the one on the celling will only work with a halogen bulb.

-I started to get battery issues around the time I installed my lights. Most mornings I get in my car my battery is almost dead and the "WARNING: Electronic consumers switched off" is flashing.
-When I drive my car at night the courtesy/ puddle lights under the doors stay on for the whole trip.
-When I open one of the doors at night, the interior lights turn on for about 2 seconds, then all turn off for about 5, then turn back on again until I close the door.

Im not sure why Mercedes make everything in their cars so unnecessarily complicated. I think Id could just as content content in my life if my car wasn't able to alert me about a burnt out turn signal.
I recommend only replacing a select few lights with LEDs... but it just looks damn good that its almost impossible not to do the rest.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 AM

2007 S550
So far, I have only attempted to put in one light into the trunk. The LED turns on, but only flashes instead of staying lit.

Nevermind, I realized I needed the error free ones (even though it was interior lighting)

Any ideas on the rear dome/map removal? I managed to pop off both ends of the cover, but it won't budge in the center where the reading emblem and button for the light are.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 AM

2007 S 65
Nevermind, I realized I needed the error free ones (even though it was interior lighting)

Any ideas on the rear dome/map removal? I managed to pop off both ends of the cover, but it won't budge in the center where the reading emblem and button for the light are.
Sjohnny,

I got mine off just by prying carefully on the side right under the roof handle. There are clips on the sides and one in both ends. The lens is really thin where the map light switch is so be very careful not to pry there. If you work slow and careful it will come out. I've done both of mine.

Now the bad news. The dome light requires festoon type bulbs. None came with my light kit. So I'm waiting for them to be shipped. The map light is a blade type. The rear vanity lights for the mirrors also require festoon bulbs.

Tony

Last edited by tonykharper; 03-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class

If the car is on. The light in the trunk won't flash. But if the car is off and the trunk is open, then you'll have the flashing problem. Only the bulbs inside the cabin does not require error-free led's.

Last edited by phatisfy; 03-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by phatisfy
If the car is on. The light in the trunk won't flash. But if the car is off and the trunk is open, then you'll have the flashing problem. Only the bulbs inside the cabin does not require error-free led's.
I also encountered the blinking problem for the rear footwell lights (under the front seats). I'm just going to return the bulbs I purchased from iJDMTOY and get the error-free ones for the blinking locations.

Originally Posted by tonykharper
Sjohnny,

I got mine off just by prying carefully on the side right under the roof handle. There are clips on the sides but none at the ends. The lens is really thin where the map light switch is so be very careful not to pry there. If you work slow and careful it will come out. I've done both of mine.

Now the bad news. The dome light requires festoon type bulbs. None came with my light kit. So I'm waiting for them to be shipped. The map light is a blade type. The rear vanity lights for the mirrors also require festoon bulbs.

Tony
Hey Tony, since you already replaced the front dome lights, what type of bulb do those use? Do they also use the festoon type bulbs or the wedge bulbs like the other interior lights? Also to verify, the map lights (reading lights) for front and rear use BA9s bulbs, right? I'm not sure what type of lights came with the set you purchased on eBay; I purchased mine off of iJDMTOY instead.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 PM

amg cl/s
i have a problem. i got the bulb holders out from the rear footwell lights (under front seats) and cannot get them to stay back in.. nothing is broken at all that i can tell. help! lol
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by Dr Feltersnatch
i have a problem. i got the bulb holders out from the rear footwell lights (under front seats) and cannot get them to stay back in.. nothing is broken at all that i can tell. help! lol
Yes, I also had this problem. I just used a piece of electrical tape to keep it in for the time being. Does anyone know any better fixes?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 "The Diplomat" W211
Yes, I also had this problem. I just used a piece of electrical tape to keep it in for the time being. Does anyone know any better fixes?
there should be 2 metal clips on either side that touch the ends of the bulb. take a screw driver or your finger and bend them in slightly so the bulb will click in place.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by Freshly
there should be 2 metal clips on either side that touch the ends of the bulb. take a screw driver or your finger and bend them in slightly so the bulb will click in place.
The bulb fits fine in its socket; the problem is that the plastic covers won't click back into its spot under the seats. I had to tape the cover to prevent it from falling out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! Need information/advice on interior LED lighting