S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

aftermarket grille with distronic plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by wywywywy
Okay here are the pictures.
Thanks for the great photos. Does the OE's quality appear obviously better?

Originally Posted by DaveW68
Great photos and write-up. Honestly, since the shield is only there to keep the distronic sensor from getting mucked up, I really don't see anything there that would have any negative effect using the after-market part.
I tend to agree. I was puzzled by the posts I found suggesting that the aftermarket plates don't work, but after reading a few, I believed them.

If anyone has successfully used an aftermarket grille w/ Distronic, please chime in. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W221 S500 SWB
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Great photos and write-up. Honestly, since the shield is only there to keep the distronic sensor from getting mucked up, I really don't see anything there that would have any negative effect using the after-market part.
I don't want to make guesses, I can only say that I tried it and it didn't work for me at all. And I had to sell it then buy a genuine one which worked perfectly straight away.

Originally Posted by snovvman
Thanks for the great photos. Does the OE's quality appear obviously better?
No it's not obvious.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by wywywywy
I don't want to make guesses, I can only say that I tried it and it didn't work for me at all. And I had to sell it then buy a genuine one which worked perfectly straight away.

No it's not obvious.
Thank you. It is very strange that the that Distronic did not work with the aftermarket grille. That silicon dot is a curious difference...
Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 S550 4Matic
Just for the hell of it I looked to see if mine had the round thingy and it did not.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
Im having the same problem...i did the facelift and now my distronic does not work wih A/M grille from Gary...im going to try getting OEM😣
Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Originally Posted by S500 Man
Im having the same problem...i did the facelift and now my distronic does not work wih A/M grille from Gary...im going to try getting OEM😣
Replace with an OEM plate and you should be good! The AM plate is too thick for the sensor to pass through.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S63 AMG
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is a topic I'm trying to learn more about and I felt it better not to start a new thread.

If you have a W221 S63 with Distronic, and want to get a black grill... what is the correct way to go about it while keeping the OEM Distronic fully functional?

Do we just have to get the OEM grill painted?

Or is there anyplace that sells black grills with the correct Distronic-compatible parts?
Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
I have a aftermarket grill that I have used on both my S500 and my S65 and they work perfectly with NO ERRORS ever.... So there sure is a AM version that works...
Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Sorry for reviving this old thread but I just purchased a w207 e550 coupe 2010 and I purchased an aftermarket grill that said "compatible with distronic".... The plate on this car is a little different from your s class style but I believe it does the same thing. It is the giant flat "2d" mercedes painted star in a circle. I looked at both oem and aftermarket plates and they both appear to be the same thickness but the aftermarket one I bought has a raised black painted star ontop of the flat plate. The look is much better then stock but I am not sure if it is distorting the distronic. I don't get any errors right away but I took it on the freeway for some spirited driving and notice that I was getting errors when changing lanes from an occupied lane to an open one. I also had some seatbelt tightenings occur. I am not sure if this is the distronic working properly or not. I ran the cruise control for a while and it worked perfectly with braking etc. Just the few instances of lane changes. I also used the park assist function which I think works with distronic and that worked fine as well also. Is this distronic or is my driving just too "spirited". Also threw the warning at a redlight that I was approaching at a somewhat fast speed. Are these all normal things for distronic?