S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

COMMAND not functional - no audio but nav works

Old 02-17-2016, 05:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
Originally Posted by gapcobenz
There are two authorized service centres in Germany,one in USA,another in Australia and ourselves in Africa. By authorized I mean approved by the part manufacturers. There is nothing wrong with trying to save money by using other service centres, but in your case you were unaware of the USA agent.

The authorized service centres are equipped with all the manufacturer equipment needed to fix defective parts. I cannot say the same of other repairers as I don't know their level of expertise in the field.

And no the approved service centres do not charge unreasonable rates.
Call your nearest MB dealer and ask for the details of the USA agent. Maybe they can help you with a good used amplifier.
Interesting. So these service centers are different because they can repair defective components opposed to replacing them?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Various Fiat
Call the USA agent and find out what they offer.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:44 PM

2008 S63
MB wants $2100 for a refurbished unit with a 1 year "limited" warranty. Heartbreaking considering poor design being at fault and water being the culprit. They pretty much designed an amusement park water slide that leads directly over the exposed amp. Very disappointed.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 PM

2008 S63
So I'm sourcing another unit at the moment. Can someone explain to me exactly how water got into the amplifier location and what I can do to prevent this from happening again. Here's a random pic I found of the trunk open.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:02 AM

2008 S63
So I found an amp but it's from a CL. I can't seem to find the part number for my old unit nor the new CL unit on the parts list someone provide previously in this thread. Does anyone know if they will swap out without a problem? Top one is the CL unit and my old unit is on the bottom
Old 02-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
EPC shows both part #s, yours being current. “May” need to code unit to match your vehicle using MB DAS.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321901501632
Attached Thumbnails COMMAND not functional - no audio but nav works-capture.jpg  
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by konigstiger
EPC shows both part #s, yours being current. “May” need to code unit to match your vehicle using MB DAS.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321901501632
Thank you very much for confirming that. I just purchased a used unit from a CL for $600. No warranty so I'm going to have to try to make this one last. I don't know where the water came from but hopefully this will keep it safe for now.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W221 S500 SWB
In my opinion the water is from the groove on the hatch. And when you open the boot, the water runs down to the left arm, into the hole, directly on top of the amp. It's only my pet theory and not 100% scientifically proven.

My solution is to make use of the "limit boot release" function. So when the boot is remotely open, it only opens half way. This allows enough time for the water to run off gracefully (i.e. everywhere BUT the hole). Then you lift the rest of the hatch manually like a peasant.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63 AMG
Bahahahaha Like a peasant! awesome. I think youre on to something, ****ty design by Mercedes but limiting the trunk might be the way to go.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:33 PM

2008 S63
What the hell! Can someone please tell me where this water is coming from. The whole driver side storage area of the trunk is soaked in water after a rain. I'm afraid to power the car on. Could someone please literally point out where this water could be seeping in from. Please I would appreciate it greatly.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup
What the hell! Can someone please tell me where this water is coming from. The whole driver side storage area of the trunk is soaked in water after a rain. I'm afraid to power the car on. Could someone please literally point out where this water could be seeping in from. Please I would appreciate it greatly.
Possibly worn/dried out or torn rubber seals in the trunk opening.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:07 PM

2008 S63
But where exactly. I don't want to come off as a dimwit but can you be extremely specific. I'm looking all over and can't seem to put my finger on it. I don't want to losee another amplifier bc of a silly leak.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
I assume nothing is wet up top if so, check the backup TeleAid antenna location on that side behind amp (FYI there is one on each side).
Attached Thumbnails COMMAND not functional - no audio but nav works-capture.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 PM

2008 S63
Interesting. Thank you very much for the visual. Looks like a vent of some sort.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
e320
please post back when you figure out where the leak is

unreal mercedes has this many water leaks and of course they all fry sams, amps or some other expensive electrical part

my w211 just started leaking and i ordered a 3rd brake light that is in the trunk on those cars- that goes in tomorrow and we will see if it solves the problem

the ML and GL both leak around the tail lights, there was actually a recall on some of them for this
maybe you should check there too
Old 05-02-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
e320
i have never owned a car that had a water leak and almost everything i have now and in the past had sunroofs etc
so all these posts about water leaks on several different mercedes models made me leery

but guess we have to give mercedes a slide on this, just for fun did some google searches of water leaks on other car brands

all of them turned up lots of hits, looks like no one builds a car that doesnt leak around the sunroof, trunk, 3rd brake light etc
even lexus had a bunch of hits

dont know if the others locate their sam, amps etc in water prone areas though....
Old 05-02-2016, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
The last car I had with leaks was my old '84 Vette, which I sold 22 years ago. The first time I took that car through a car wash, I got fully washed too. I've had 5 Lexus' and none of themy ever leaked. My M5 never leaked, and neither did my Chrysler SRT8.. or anything else for that matter.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:42 AM

Mercedes-Benz S350 2006
I got problem.

1. After I start the car Mercede-Benz image is showing in the command center.
2. Command center doesen't show Audio, dvd, car details in the command center anymore.
3. Only Aircondition is working on command center.

What do you think is broken in my car?

See image attachment.

I have drive with this car 180 000km. I got full Mercedes-Benz dealer service history. But I have got so much trouble with Mercedes so this will be my last Mercedes car. Last week I bought new handbrake to this car and it cost about 2000€. So expensive and almoust every mont I got new problem.

I have previosly owned five mercedes. Good cars to drive. Only quality sucks.

Last edited by Ville Linden; 06-18-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
Look on the center console on the right side of the COMAND wheel (for left hand drive cars). There's an on/off switch that's difficult to see from the drivers position. Sometimes it gets hit accidentally and it shuts COMAND off.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:39 PM

sl280 r129
Harmon Kardon Logic 7 fix

I recently bought a 2006 S500 W221 with a non functioning HK Logic 7 audio system.
From previous experience I know the S class and Mercs in general do not like low batteries and the guy I bought it from had indicated that the system had stopped working after he had returned from a 2 week holiday.
The sat nav was working but there was no audio.
So, here is what I did:
1- tried the standard reset procedure of holding the eject button on the cd changer for 10 secs-didn't work.
2- recharged the consumer battery in the boot- still didn't work.
3- disconnected the starter and consumer batteries ( Important- in that order and reconnect the consumer battery first- also make sure everything is off before you disconnect)- leave overnight then reconnect- still no joy.
4-Removed the left hand side boot liner which gives access to the amp. Disconnected all of the cables and removed amp from car. I then switched on the audio system - it obviously doesn't function but this will clear the fibre optic ring.
The amp was quite dusty around the fan area so I took the top casing off ( watch the small metal tabs on the side which can be carefully bent out of the way) then vacuumed the fan and amp innards - take care.
Put amp back together and re-installed in car.
Switched on and IT WORKS!- Result!

I have since found that the consumer battery on the car was on it's way out and have replaced it and have had no more issues.

I hope this helps someone but obviously you do this at entirely your own ( and your cars) risk.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Very old thread, but I see several references to 2006 (EU) /2007 models. Make sure you have the most recent Telematics update as well. This will update pretty much everything on the MOST ring. It requires a Telematics disc as well as DAS (can be done offline if you have the right version of DAS - i.e. old). On US cars, it flashes the main COMAND unit with DVD Changer, Tele-Aid, AGW, Center Control unit, and Navigation, and enables Video playback, which was disabled in 2007 on US models (but probably not EU models).
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM

S320 ww21
Hello, i've the same problem as you had.. Navigation OK but not trafic informations and no sound. Can't read CD DVD PCMCIA and Blank screen on radio stations... Telephone works but no sound... it was an intermitent problem for 2 weeks and now it is down for ever it seems lol.. So i bought a bypass fiber optic loop to try each part as this video shows
and i tried each componnent in the back .. nothing worked.. i'm really confuse about it.. i dont know what to do more except going on DIAG next week..
i'll try to charge the consumer battery, it isAGM, right? I can charge it with a simple charger ? or i need a specifically one for AGM batteries?

thank's.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:22 PM

2008 S63

Well after only a few months the second hand amp that I purchased has failed on me in the same manner. Pulled it out to find some dirt concentrated near the fan opening. Cleaned that to find some discoloration and bubbling of the circuit board. Does this look like water damage to you guys? There’s no evidence of actual burns on the board or components just a little rust in some places.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E-200 CDI on steroids (W212)
You said that there was dirt near the fan opening? Is the fan working? This looks more like overheating then water ingress. If you have some skills and good steady hand try to solder the contacts, i must warn you that this is not an easy task. In case of doubt or not willing to do this try someone that works in electronics, they will do it for sure. This does not guarantee that the unit will work but it's a start.

If there are components to be replaced you can do that by respecting the values from the resistors and solder "the old style", in this case you have to remove the ones you marked, measure or check online the code stamped on them for correct resistance value and buy new ones. They charge a lot of money to repair or sell these units but sometimes it's an easy thing to fix just take your time and a good dosage of patience...

Good luck,

I managed to get a GPS system working with identical problems but it took me some time, they wanted to charge me 650€ and, not considering my time, i spend 20€ on parts and other stuff well worth while i think.

Beco
Old 05-27-2018, 03:09 PM

2012 Mercedes S550
Device unavailable

So I have this issue as well with no audio but still having access to the vehicle controls and navigation.

The display reads ‘device not available’ for both fm radio and satellite. I have tried to troubleshoot by unplugging the amp, Sirius module, command module, antenna module and waiting a while and plugging back but it didn’t fix my issue and I also tried the reset from the console using system settings.

what I noticed is that the amp fan is not moving although it seems to get power to it. I unplugged it and noticed that there was some black burnt dust inside I cleaned it with alcohol and plugged it back in but same issue although I noticed that there are only 3 connections to it in my car and there are a few other connections that I don’t have cables for two Circular ports one yellow and he other silver I believe and two small rectangle ports with pins. maybe those don’t need to be connected but I have the other two big rectangle power plugs and the fiber optic wire connected so I think maybe the AMP is defective.

any other suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. I was also looking for the navigation module but not exactly sure which one it is does anybody know?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: COMMAND not functional - no audio but nav works