S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Potential new owner - quality questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Potential new owner - quality questions

I am getting close to pulling the tigger on a 2008 S550 but I have some lingering quality questions. The car I am interested in only has 43K miles on it and is in mint condition, but I will not be able to tolerate the car if it develops the infamous vibration issue that seems to plague some S550's. I will not own the car without an extended warranty, so anything else that breaks and can be fixed under warranty is not really an issue to me.

The vibration issue has me concerned but I realize that the forums are not necessarily an accurate representation of the mass...the enthusiasts are here and we tend to be much more vocal regarding quality issues. There are several posts regarding vibration so I figured I would reach out to see what other have to say.

What I am trying to understand is whether the vibration issue is something that the car either has or it doesn't have. If it will develop and MB cannot fix it, I will not buy the car. Any experiences or advice would be apprciated.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
I have a 2010 with 55k miles and haven't had an issue. On the test drive I ran it up to 80 and there was a clear vibration in the steering wheel. They had it back in the shop for an hour or so and on the next drive it was gone. If your car doesn't have it now, unless you change something later like wheels and/or tires you should be okay. I bought mine seven months ago at 43k miles as well.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Iceman

The vibration issue has me concerned but I realize that the forums are not necessarily an accurate representation of the mass...the enthusiasts are here and we tend to be much more vocal regarding quality issues.
Well said!!

I have a 2008 that I bought at 35k and now have 80k. Never had the vibration issue. Since the vehicle you're looking at has 43k make sure the transmission oil was changed at 40k (I believe MB actually specifies 39K)