S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Power side sun blind adjustment

Old 06-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 designo
Power side sun blind adjustment

My 2008 S550 has an out of whack left rear sun blind. It operates smoothly, but when it stops in the extended position, the side closest to the front of the vehicle stops about 1 inch from the top. The back edge stops at the very top as expected. The right door operates fine.

Anyone know of a way to synchronize or adjust the travel on that front edge to get it to go up all the way?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM

2008 S550 designo
Just for informational purposes... I worked on this shade numerous times trying to get it to fully extend at the leading edge and even went so far as to remove the door panel and poke and prod around on the internals with no success. I had given in and decided that replacing the entire unit was my only option. I searched eBay and could only find the right side assembly and that is still the case today. Online, the best price for a new one I could find was about $930 and I am just not willing to pay that.

Fast forward to about 30 minutes ago. I went to roll the front left window down and accidentally hit the left rear window switch instead (who hasn't done this on pre-facelift cars? These switches are insanely designed to be difficult to operate by feel.) I heard the shade going down and promptly hit the switch again to make it extend up again before pressing the drivers window switch as originally intended. When the shade went back up it made a loud clicking sound about 3 or 4 times and when I looked back it was fully extended front and back as it is supposed to. Not sure if pressing down the back up relatively quickly is a reset of sorts, or if the intense heat had an effect or what. It had been parked out in 96+ degree heat for a few hours prior to this.

Either way I am extremely happy it is finally fully extended. I have not tried to lower and raise it again as I rarely operate the rear windows and leave all window shades extended always.

I wanted to put this out there as some documentation in case anyone else has similar issues in the future.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
hey

Originally Posted by Trey
My 2008 S550 has an out of whack left rear sun blind. It operates smoothly, but when it stops in the extended position, the side closest to the front of the vehicle stops about 1 inch from the top. The back edge stops at the very top as expected. The right door operates fine.

Anyone know of a way to synchronize or adjust the travel on that front edge to get it to go up all the way?

Thanks!
funny enough, i just experienced same thing few days ago.
one side of the shade wouldn't go up all the way.
It just needs to be "recalibrated" manually. By that, i mean removing the door panel, removing the pulley mechanism that winds it up and down.when the mechanism is out, manually pull the shade all the way to the end so that way when you re-install the mechanism it starts from that point zero again.
hope this makes sense.
if not, let me know, i will try and explain better.

Last edited by just1time; 09-09-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:31 AM

2008 S550 designo
When I had my door apart, I did not see a way to manually calibrate them, but sounds logical if that is possible. Something that I did triggered the calibration manually and did not require the removal of the door panel, which is preferable to me any time!