S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S400 Under Repair for 6 weeks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes S400 Hybrid, 2014 Porsche Cayman S, 2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie
S400 Under Repair for 6 weeks!

Hi Everyone,
New member to the forum and have gained a lot of knowledge from this site over the past few months. Need some advice if anyone can assist.

I own a 2010 Mercedes S400 with 48,000 miles. 6 weeks ago, as I was on the road, the car completely shuts down at a red light. Tried starting it several times, but nothing. Had it towed in to the dealer that day. It's been there 6 weeks already. The service rep. told me they've changed out the hybrid battery, the control module, regular battery and a host of other parts totaling about $30k (all covered under warranty of course). However, they have not been able to figure the problem. Last week when I called, they said Mercedes is flying technicians in from Germany to examine the car. WTH? Granted, they gave me a loaner car so I'm not complaining, but I've never had any dealership hold my car for 6 weeks and not been able to fix a problem. The rep. told me he has no idea when the car will be fixed.

Can anyone recommend the best course of action? Do I just sit back and wait or am I within my rights to seek out a resolution? If the problem is indeed serious enough for them to hold my car for 6 weeks, I'm not so sure I want to keep that car anymore. What are my options if the dealer just continues to hold my car or cannot fix the problem? I'm just hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Thanks all,
Jim
Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by qship45
Hi Everyone,
New member to the forum and have gained a lot of knowledge from this site over the past few months. Need some advice if anyone can assist.

I own a 2010 Mercedes S400 with 48,000 miles. 6 weeks ago, as I was on the road, the car completely shuts down at a red light. Tried starting it several times, but nothing. Had it towed in to the dealer that day. It's been there 6 weeks already. The service rep. told me they've changed out the hybrid battery, the control module, regular battery and a host of other parts totaling about $30k (all covered under warranty of course). However, they have not been able to figure the problem. Last week when I called, they said Mercedes is flying technicians in from Germany to examine the car. WTH? Granted, they gave me a loaner car so I'm not complaining, but I've never had any dealership hold my car for 6 weeks and not been able to fix a problem. The rep. told me he has no idea when the car will be fixed.

Can anyone recommend the best course of action? Do I just sit back and wait or am I within my rights to seek out a resolution? If the problem is indeed serious enough for them to hold my car for 6 weeks, I'm not so sure I want to keep that car anymore. What are my options if the dealer just continues to hold my car or cannot fix the problem? I'm just hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Thanks all,
Jim
Hey it is still under warranty, so if they have to rebuild that car or replace it, you should be in great shape. Sounds like some sensor has gone off, its not reporting and they are missing it.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:21 PM
SPONSOR

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
C190 GT C
Wow sounds like a nightmare! I would be very thankful in your case it was under warranty. You will basically get a new car by the time it's fixed, for free!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by qship45
Hi Everyone,

Thanks all,
Jim
get a good lemon law attorney. you have a good case if they cannot fix the car under warranty within a reasonable amount of time. also doing so much work under the hood depreciates the value of your car. the lawyers will usually charge the MB company and wont cost you a dime. good luck
Old 07-21-2014, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
I had a similar situation with at C4 Corvette ZR-1. Had to remove engine, send to Lingenfelter performance, and wait on a ZF-6 transmission from Germany. Probably took close to that amount of time.

I think the bottom line is the S400 is not a "typical" car like a Chevy Cruze, etc. Things like this occasionally come up. The loaner car is a nice perk and I feel certain they will get it up and going very soon. Just look over the car and make sure you are satisfied with the reassembly of any components you can think of that may have been remove/replaced that are visible. In the end I think you will be just fine. If the estimate of 30k is where they are already, then they are certainly trying their best.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I had a similar situation with at C4 Corvette ZR-1. Had to remove engine, send to Lingenfelter performance, and wait on a ZF-6 transmission from Germany. Probably took close to that amount of time.

I think the bottom line is the S400 is not a "typical" car like a Chevy Cruze, etc. Things like this occasionally come up. The loaner car is a nice perk and I feel certain they will get it up and going very soon. Just look over the car and make sure you are satisfied with the reassembly of any components you can think of that may have been remove/replaced that are visible. In the end I think you will be just fine. If the estimate of 30k is where they are already, then they are certainly trying their best.
PB, good post
Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 PM

2010 Mercedes S400 Hybrid, 2014 Porsche Cayman S, 2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie
Thank You

Hi All,

Thank you all for your responses. Car is still at the dealer, but enjoying the loaner. Dealer told me techs from Germany showed up last Thursday and worked on the car. Still can't locate the reason why it won't start. They said they will get back to me later in the week.

Going on week 7.

Thanks everyone for your support!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 PM

2015 Brabus G63
I second the lemon law attorney. This sounds like a good case to get the vehicle replaced.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:29 PM

2010 S 400
@qship45,

do you have any updates on your car? I have the same car and last week I experienced the same issue : the car just shut down after I stopped on a road-crossing. ( I was able to restart the car after several tries )

Your update on the status of the car ( and what the German technicians said happened) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:52 AM

2010 Mercedes s400
Originally Posted by Tandioku
@qship45,

do you have any updates on your car? I have the same car and last week I experienced the same issue : the car just shut down after I stopped on a road-crossing. ( I was able to restart the car after several tries )

Your update on the status of the car ( and what the German technicians said happened) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Any more news on this?
Old 11-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 W222 W216
Originally Posted by 2010s400
Any more news on this?
Hey user, you used the search function and replied to a thread that has not been updated since 2014.

Do you know that what you did will jump the dead thread on first page where the up to date threads of other people who need help as you will be buried because of your selfishness.

Don’t reply to old threads, open one yourself, ask for help and wait. This way someone who knows something about your problem will help you.

When you have a problem you should create a new thread. You shouldn’t post on every old thread that talks about the same problem.

Don’t be that guy who has just bought a Mercedes and googles about the forums and comes, does a search about his problems and ruines all the new threads by posting to every old thread that talks about his current problems with his car.