S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

There goes the panoramic roof!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
There goes the panoramic roof!

This doesn't seem like an uncommon problem on these cars....Well I first noticed a problem when opening the sunshade on the roof, it started doing the old "movement in intervals" bit where it stops every 1/3 of the way and I have to let go and press the button again.

Except once the sunshade is open, the roof will not! So I can't open the roof....However, I noticed that when I close the sunshade, once it fully closes, if I don't let go of the button then it starts the grinding/machine gun sound.

Since they are two separate drive mechanisms and the sunshade is clearly affected, could it be that a fault is being detected that doesn't signal the sunshade is fully open, thus preventing the sunroof from opening as it doesn't think the shade is open yet? I'd rather deal with a faulty shade than a faulty glass, though either one is preferable to BOTH being out of commission....I'm hoping this is the case as it appears to be the opposite problem an E55 had where it was the glass roof that was opening and closing in intervals, but then the sunshade wouldn't close!

I think best case I'm looking at headliner removal and at least one of those motors needing to be shimmed...I'd at least want to be able to rule out the sunroof itself, maybe by pulling the fuse it will let me operate the sunroof to verify it still functions?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kalortpor
This doesn't seem like an uncommon problem on these cars....Well I first noticed a problem when opening the sunshade on the roof, it started doing the old "movement in intervals" bit where it stops every 1/3 of the way and I have to let go and press the button again.

Except once the sunshade is open, the roof will not! So I can't open the roof....However, I noticed that when I close the sunshade, once it fully closes, if I don't let go of the button then it starts the grinding/machine gun sound.

Since they are two separate drive mechanisms and the sunshade is clearly affected, could it be that a fault is being detected that doesn't signal the sunshade is fully open, thus preventing the sunroof from opening as it doesn't think the shade is open yet? I'd rather deal with a faulty shade than a faulty glass, though either one is preferable to BOTH being out of commission....I'm hoping this is the case as it appears to be the opposite problem an E55 had where it was the glass roof that was opening and closing in intervals, but then the sunshade wouldn't close!

I think best case I'm looking at headliner removal and at least one of those motors needing to be shimmed...I'd at least want to be able to rule out the sunroof itself, maybe by pulling the fuse it will let me operate the sunroof to verify it still functions?
Hopefully they are on separate fuses, but they may be on the same fuse.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Should be covered under warranty.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Designo S550, R32 Nissan Skyline
I was having the same jumpy movement and I had my motors replaced for both shades, and the glass on my pano under warranty.