S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

iPod Interface Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 (W221)
Question iPod Interface Installation Questions

Hi Guys,

I have a 2007 S550 that does not have the iPod kit. I want to install one, primarily so I can use the Tune2Air, but I have a few questions:

1. For the iPod interface itself, there a difference between P/N B67824245 and P/N B6782424528? The former I can find used on eBay, but the dealer says the latter is the current part number. But they have no idea if there are any differences.

This is an example of the iPod interface available on eBay.

2. What cables do I need? It looks like I may need two: one to go from the interface above to the glove compartment, and the other to attach the interface above to the back of the COMAND unit. Any idea what the part numbers are?

Do I need a wiring harness like this to attach the iPod Interface to COMAND? What is the correct part number? Again, the dealers weren't able to help me.

And I need this cable to go to the glove box? Are there different versions of this cable?

I've been in contact with two dealers, MB of Beverly Hills and MB of Laguna Niguel, and neither were sure how the interface connects to command and whether I need a wiring harness.

Is it possible to pull off an AUX input and USB, like in the following figure, or is this only available on NTG 3.5 units?

Will this work with the B67824245 iPod Interface?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. The dealers seem pretty clueless about this!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
am in same position as you. hopefully someone can advice us on this.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 760 Likes on 644 Posts
S500
u need all parts in photo, later NTG 3.5 usb not compatible, big loom sits between car's original loom and the ntg unit, third smaller plug goes in one end of the black box, with ipod lead plugging in the other end. Then you need aux in coded. I heard parts no longer available.... only black box has the part number showing.

what you need
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ng-harness.pdf

how to fit
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ng-harness.pdf.

more pics
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...-interface.pdf

what it is

Originally Posted by token

I don't think there are different versions of this cable. it is only apple (old stuff) compatible

!

Last edited by BOTUS; 10-03-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Originally Posted by BOTUS
u need all 3 of these, later 3.5 usb not compatible, looms plug in either end.... big loom sits between car loom and the ntg unit. lots of merc pdf's out there on how to do it, need aux in coded. I heard part no longer available....
Hey BOTUS, thanks for the help!

I called the dealer and they said that the part IS still available, but the part number is now B6782424528 (28 added to the end.) It's $232.83.

But they were not able to help me with the loom on the NTG side, shown above. They couldn't find a part number for it. Do you have any idea what the correct part number is?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Originally Posted by just1time
am in same position as you. hopefully someone can advice us on this.
It looks like it's going to be a relatively inexpensive install once we get the right part numbers! I'll keep you posted with anything I learn.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
u need all 3 of these, later 3.5 usb not compatible, looms plug in either end.... big loom sits between car loom and the ntg unit. lots of merc pdf's out there on how to do it, need aux in coded. I heard part no longer available....

I replied too fast! Thanks again for the various links! I had not seen the installation PDF's before; they will help a lot.

I'll forward them on to the dealer and see if they can come up with the part number for that wiring harness as shown.

Last edited by token; 08-26-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Too fast responding to BOTUS; missed additional info.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I tweaked my post a bit. I wouldn't get too excited yet. I don't think the parts are available no matter how hard you try.

There may be differences between USA spec and Europe and ROW, I have only found 2 available worldwide at stupid prices.

UK one kit left for US$1650
New Zealand US$1169
Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
I tweaked my post a bit. I wouldn't get too excited yet. I don't think the parts are available no matter how hard you try.

There may be differences between USA spec and Europe and ROW, I have only found 2 available worldwide at stupid prices.

UK one kit left for US$1650
New Zealand US$1169
Yes, I saw that, thank you. So far, it looks like the NTG-side cable is the only part that's difficult to source if I put it together piece-by-piece. I might have to pull one from a salvage yard.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Here's another document in that sequence, the top level:

Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM

s550
Good details,
Thanks Botus. Now to source parts.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
In another thread (https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class...ft-r171-2.html) Caboz listed the contents of his iPod kit for an SLK. The kit sounds very similar, and each of the components had a part number, including the cable harnesses.

The iPod Kit for the W221 in the USA is B6 782 42 23. Any idea how we could get a listing of the contents?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
oh yes, that's important.... you must have the integrated phone system or pre wiring for UHI to use the integration kit (hard to believe and not sure why but that's what the Merc instructions say in that 3rd pdf)

with CODE (386) Preinstallation for telephone "Cell phone", UPCI [UHI] system

with CODE (388) Telephone "Cell phone", UPCI [UHI] system

with CODE (389) Mobile phone preinstallation with universal interface, USA/Canada

Not available for Japan

From the fact someone told me this S class uses a proprietary system (exclusive to W221) and that http://www.dension.com/ don't have any compatible products, I don't think any other merc interface kit is of use either

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-26-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
oh yes, that's important.... you must have the integrated phone system or pre wiring for UHI to use the integration kit (hard to believe and not sure why but that's what the Merc instructions say in that 3rd pdf)
Yes, I have code 389, so I *think* I'm set.

I've asked the folks over at Midcity Engineering about that interface cable. He said he should have an answer for me tomorrow.

I've also asked MBUSA for a parts listing of what was in the original kit.

I'll post the results here when I have them.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:15 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
No point in contacting http://www.commandonline.co.uk/... Even though they are out of stock and the kits are discontinued, they refused to provide me with part numbers. They did confirm that the kit contained "the loom, controller and ipod lead," however.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I know a person who is selling this iPod kit for a W221. If you want it, be prepared to travel to Europe, he says he does not post it anywhere.

Considering Comand Online, I would not be too upset if a shop does not help you to purchase parts from other shops...
Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Not worth it to me to travel to Europe! lol

It wouldn't be bad if we could even buy it from Command Online, but they don't have it, either.

Good news, though! TJ at Midcity Engineering got back to me with the part number!

The kit contained these three components:

1. "iPod Interface" P/N B6 782 4245
2. "Interface wiring harness" P/N B6 782 4500
3. "iPod wiring harness" P/N B6 782 4531

I haven't been able to find a source for B6 782 4500, yet. Maybe have to pull one from a salvage yard. The other two parts appear to be readily available.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 AM

s550
Given the hardship faced sourcing these iPod kit components, is there any other meted to get music from one's iPod to the cars audio system besides an fm transmitter.
i dont really care for the song title etc to show on the command or dash screen or control it from the steering. am ok just controlling it from my iPhone/ipod.
Shame on Mercedes building a car of this luxury without a readily available aux input.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 AM

2007 S550 (W221)
Originally Posted by just1time
Given the hardship faced sourcing these iPod kit components, is there any other meted to get music from one's iPod to the cars audio system besides an fm transmitter.
i dont really care for the song title etc to show on the command or dash screen or control it from the steering. am ok just controlling it from my iPhone/ipod.
Shame on Mercedes building a car of this luxury without a readily available aux input.
Give TJ over at Midcity Engineering a call. When I was talking to him earlier, he said that it's relatively easy to implement an aux input. I want the steering wheel control with Bluetooth (via Tune2Air), and that's why I'm trying to get the iPod interface.

There's a nice demo of the integration that I want here:

He also said that they can source the T harness, B6 782 4500, and I've got one on order with him. I picked up a used interface and iPod cable off of eBay for about $70 each. Also got a Tune2Air for $49 from Amazon, because I got a $40 gift certificate for opening a credit line, so I *think* I'm good to go.

I'm buying their VIM221K kit to get a backup camera, and he said the kit enables the audio aux input as well, so I don't believe I'll need to do any additional encoding once I install the iPod interface. We'll see!

Last edited by token; 08-28-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
well what a disappointment....

• how can you navigate? ipod gets locked with no navigation of its menu structure once plugged in to the car.
  • all it does it play a track and you can skip to the next... very helpful if you have different playlists it just uses one.
  • with 50,000 tracks what if I want the next one to be the other end of the list? click steering wheel button 50,000 times !!!
  • comand has nothing displayed or navigable, just the track name on the speedo display and up down button on wheel to change track.
    are they joking or what ?
  • Ok so maybe you can have some navigation what a weird set up, you can JUST ABOUT navigate an ipod's menu structure via the steering wheel phone "hang up" button.
  • the Comand screen and controller have NO functionality at all....

this C350 review on a 2010 car, says the same thing

http://www.cnet.com/products/2010-mercedes-benz-c350/2/

"Our car also came with the optional iPod integration kit, with a pigtail connector in the glove box. But getting ready to road-test the car, we were baffled that we couldn't find out how to get music from an iPod playing over the stereo system. After some searching, we found the auxiliary setting, only accessible through the COMAND interface.
But while that did get music playing, there was no interface on the LCD, no capability at all to select music with the COMAND interface. Instead, the current track was shown in the speedometer, which holds displays for the trip computer and audio. It was immediately apparent that directional buttons on the steering wheel moved sequentially through the track list, but we had to consult the manual to figure out how to choose artists and albums, which involves first hitting the phone hang-up button. Bizarre.

This optional integration kit feels like a hack, especially when satellite radio and CD displays work perfectly well on the car's LCD"

what if you want to drive the car and let your passenger play with the toys / music selection.... its NOT possible,
they can't even see the album details as its only in front of the driver,

this is a 20 dollar bodge a Chinese technology start up company would be ashamed they'd thought of ...
in an S Class from Mercedes!!!!!

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-28-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Yes, the integration appears to be rudimentary at best.

Here is a similar review on a C-Class:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-kit-joke.html

I saw a much nicer integration here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tegration.html

I asked Midcity Engineering about it, and they said they no longer offer this package because they just don't have the hardware anymore. They said they haven't sold a system like that in over 5 years. The Nav-TV iPod dock looks like it's still available on their site:

http://www.navtv.com/product/128/ipo...nterfaces.html

I believe this would still be an option, however, if you wanted to control the iPod via the Nav-TV supplied remote control. At least then everything would be displayed on COMAND.

Last edited by token; 08-28-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
by default the car always starts up with no navigation possible and no track info display. you have to toggle speedo display to get to ipod navigation and track info display.

I guess if you have a load of random stuff, then its like playing the radio but with your choice of song and better quality. I've currently got a 180gig ipod classic in there with 100gig containing only CD quality music.

This is important, there are two solutions for charging up devices.
I now see you can get a (low cost) better ipod to black box of tricks cable. It allegedly accommodates both 5v or 12v charging.
The stock lead only does 5v and therefore does not charge iPhone 3gs, 4, 4s, whilst old ipods stuff is ok (as is my classic).
To retrofit the better cable its only 8 torx screws and about 30 mins. The fun comes in finding room behind NTG3 for that massive black box.... and NOT helped by the fact the cables go in each end. If they has used their brains and fitted both sockets at one end it would be an easy job !

There's an alternative, (a much more expensive) Mercedes bodge that adds an nasty adaptor between devices to allow either voltage product to work. But it looks like a way to snap off or damage the device to me.

I set up my ipod music structure / naming in a way that worked for either a USB stick or the ipod in the way I wanted.

a folder for the artist
containing a folder for each album (of that artist's)
with each track having the artist and then the track name

I did this intentionally so my music library coped with most dumb menu structures in multiple devices like I find across my home network (set top boxes, dvd players, my BMW car etc.)

On the Merc display it probably reads it the right way !!! unlike the BM, in the Merc I get 3 lines of info in the speedo.... unfortunately now all three read artist and the actual track info is only showing 5 characters...

no thinking about it I'm right.... its the poor display length in both the merc and bm that's at fault... the BM nearly worked with artist who didn't have silly length names the merc doesn't cope at all

if you have compilations you want

compilations...
this compilation...
current track is by fred blogs, with track name e.g. 01 Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now.wav

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-30-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Thumbs down

I've noticed another mistake with the Mercedes ipod integration....

unlikely to be a big deal but still a fault... if using night vision there is no way to control your ipod at all
if I ever win the lottery... there will be full integration of this, seven digit postcodes and a free update for anyone who wants it !

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I've noticed another mistake with the Mercedes ipod integration....

unlikely to be a big deal but still a fault... if using night vision there is no way to control your ipod at all
if I ever win the lottery... there will be full integration of this, seven digit postcodes and a free update for anyone who wants it !
By no means a fault (a bug). In any case, have you tried to activate the iPod menu first, then night view, what do steering wheel buttons do then?

Night View is supposed to be used in severe conditions where you should fully concentrate on driving, not supposed to be playing with iPod. I would not mind if it was implemented differently (like on later models with COMAND integration) but to me this is a bit like "you cannot reach the steering wheel from the rear seat".
Old 09-03-2014, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
[QUOTE=Diesel Benz;6153276]By no means a fault (a bug). In any case, have you tried to activate the iPod menu first, then night view, what do steering wheel buttons do then?
QUOTE]

nothing.... a fault
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 PM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
So i just purchased a ipod interface off of ebay. I installed it and headed over to my local dealer. I needed the Aux port opened. The dealer spent a little less than an hour to program and charged me 145.00. I got back in the car to find that when I hooked up the ipod the dash board said please wait then It said error. So thinking the the ipod was a newer one. I went home to try an older ipod. I got the same result.(dam) I headed back to the dealer and they tried to fix it. They ended up reprogramming the comand unit with the latest update. ( thinking that the the update would fix the problem) it did not....but i did get the comand update for free ...which gave me the Birdseye nav.(nice plus) but unfortunately I still don't have a working ipod interface.. Any help would be greatly apercated ...
I also purchased the cable from the interface to the ipod from the dealer and that also didn't work...this project is getting costly...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod Interface Installation Questions