S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Disc player suddenly not recognizing format.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
Disc player suddenly not recognizing format.

Does anyone have any information on this topic? The other day I was playing a officially licensed cd and suddenly it stopped playing. The command read cd format not recognized. Now it won't play any type of disc. It loads for a while but times out and seats it's not recognized. The rest of the command seems to still work flawlessly. I did the telematics update but that was over a year ago. Anyone ever experience this?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup
Does anyone have any information on this topic? The other day I was playing a officially licensed cd and suddenly it stopped playing. The command read cd format not recognized. Now it won't play any type of disc. It loads for a while but times out and seats it's not recognized. The rest of the command seems to still work flawlessly. I did the telematics update but that was over a year ago. Anyone ever experience this?
Your cd diod is out and needs to be replaced ..I had the same problem ..I had to replace the comad unit .
Old 09-20-2014, 01:48 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by Carters550
Your cd diod is out and needs to be replaced ..I had the same problem ..I had to replace the comad unit .
Thanks for replying. Wow, So I take it there is noway to repair this even by a professional? If I understand correctly, I need to have it recoded with the star computer. Which is fine bc I have a friend that can do it for me. But how do I go about choosing the correct unit to use? Is there a certain criteria?

I ask this bc when I first purchased my w221 in needed the command to be replaced due to a faulty nav. One thing I recall is that the first unit I had had different options within the system like lumbar adjustment. Once the second unit was put in (which was taken from another w221 in the same lot) It seemed to have lost the option to adjust the lumbar. I also lost a feature regarding security.
What all did you do to resolve the problem and what did it cost you?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:04 AM

S550
Thanks for replying. Wow, So I take it there is noway to repair this even by a professional? If I understand correctly, I need to have it recoded with the star computer. Which is fine bc I have a friend that can do it for me. But how do I go about choosing the correct unit to use? Is there a certain criteria?

I ask this bc when I first purchased my w221 in needed the command to be replaced due to a faulty nav. One thing I recall is that the first unit I had had different options within the system like lumbar adjustment. Once the second unit was put in (which was taken from another w221 in the same lot) It seemed to have lost the option to adjust the lumbar. I also lost a feature regarding security.
What all did you do to resolve the problem and what did it cost you?

Is not that bad you need this guy well help you fix it for around 500 to 600
also before you do anything try to do a hard reboot of the comand ..your friend should know how using STAR . If all fails call these people they have your answer ...you don't need any reprogramming ... all they do itake your unit and change the optics ...no need to reprogram .
Good luck

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Atern...2009_S_CL.html

Or try this guy, he is the best

http://www.fastoem.com/products/221-870-80-85.html

Here is how you take the comand unit out

Last edited by Carters550; 09-20-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:18 AM

2008 S63
Thank you so much. Literally able to sleep better tonight. I was reading threads where they are talking about 10k to replace. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Have you heard that a hard reboot might get it going again?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:50 AM

S550
Thank you so much. Literally able to sleep better tonight. I was reading threads where they are talking about 10k to replace. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Have you heard that a hard reboot might get it going again?

Some time it might work but from what you described its a 20 percent chance ..FASTOEM is your solution ..I know for a fact he is your guy ..also try to haggle with the price tell him $400 ..