S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 S550 Bluetooth adapter - where to plug in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 80K Miles
2007 S550 Bluetooth adapter - where to plug in?

I just purchased a 2007 S550 and overall love the car. My question is regarding MB Bluetooth interface on this vehicle. I have the keypad, the phone related buttons on the wheel, the related menus on the main computer (although it says "disabled" under bluetooth and it won't allow me to enable. What I do not have is any kind of related cradle or adapter, or any interface for that matter for the BT adapter in the center armrest. I asked the dealer to look up original configuration and they confirmed that although the vehicle is setup to work with BT, the feature was opted out by the original buyer (not sure WTF anyone would purposely opt out). Every search on the web, and things available for sale on MB site or ebay mention some kind of cradle to plug the BT adapter into located in the armrest, but I don't see one there. Again, I know the telephone works as I dialed out few times by pressing the "i" or the maintenance buttons in the armrest, but bluetooth won't work. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 765 Likes on 647 Posts
S500

if you don't have either of the UHI options

386MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS)
388PHONE MOBILE, MTUS-SYSTEM

without huge cost you can't get integrated BT to work

there is no working built in bluetooth on any pre 2009 car they meant it to but it just doesn't function. And that option is only there with the UHI phone system, if you are lucky and the car once had a phone system, in centre arm rest will be a socket or a plastic cover.... then you can add various BT adaptors....
Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 80K Miles
Originally Posted by BOTUS

if you don't have either of the UHI options

386MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS)
388PHONE MOBILE, MTUS-SYSTEM

without huge cost you can't get integrated BT to work

there is no working built in bluetooth on any pre 2009 car they meant it to but it just doesn't function. And that option is only there with the UHI phone system, if you are lucky and the car once had a phone system, in centre arm rest will be a socket or a plastic cover.... then you can add various BT adaptors....
Nothing in the armrest. I was told I could buy the cradle interface you showed in your attached picture and it would plug into the telephone module inside the armrest. Any merit to that? Dealer checked the original config for my VIN and confirmed "MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION" was in fact part of it. Thanks.

Last edited by efskyline; 10-15-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 765 Likes on 647 Posts
S500
if it had the UHI "prep" I'd have expected the connection in the picture... (but I don't know for sure)

I know on some BMW's you can either spec the wiring at purchase as an optional extra or BM fitted it regardless in some markets. Even so there's still quite a bit of hardware to buy and fit and then an expert is needed to code in the new stuff. The kit fitted to add BT to a BM used to be in region of $2000

No idea what Merc's policy is.

wouldn't trust a car dealer to tell you what toys a car had. Most are stupid and liars

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes

Last edited by BOTUS; 10-15-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
All but the very earliest vehicles had the connector shown in the previous postings in this thread. It was missing in some early production vehicles due to unavailability of parts. I believe dealers were subsequently authorized to install the connector at no charge in those vehicles without it.

A bluetooth puck is then installed on the connector which then allows your phone to connect. Do a google search for "mercedes bluetooth puck" andyou will find several new and used ones for sale. Some of these pucks are compatible with the latest smartphones including the latest iphones. See http://www.wireless4mb.com/ for further information,
Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by steveb9771
All but the very earliest vehicles had the connector shown in the previous postings in this thread. It was missing in some early production vehicles due to unavailability of parts. I believe dealers were subsequently authorized to install the connector at no charge in those vehicles without it.
Indeed, all US W221 cars should have the phone kit. If the owner is persistent, I think he can still get the kit. There have been a few examples, even second owners who have had it retrofitted for free when the original dealer has not taken care of the installation just after vehicle delivery.