S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just picked up a S550 need aftermarket warranty options.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Just picked up a S550 need aftermarket warranty options.

Hey guys just picked up a designo white on white 2009 s550 60k miles. One owner p3 with pano roof car. Very existed to add it to the family. I've searched around this topic in the past a read endless posts but wanted to see what's new as far as aftermarket warranties are concerned from owners that recently purchased them. Is Bruce still around? He was the guy to go to back in the day for warranties. NAA won't let me apply because I'm not a vet others don't cover cars in California for some reason. Looking for a reliable warranty carrier. Any input much appreciated.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Congrats. I've heard good things about USAA's warranty coverage. Save a couple of grand for that stereo speaker upgrade
Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 AM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Congrats. I've heard good things about USAA's warranty coverage. Save a couple of grand for that stereo speaker upgrade
Just read your PM mike. Thanks for the detailed info! I checked out USAA and it seems you need to be a vet to apply with them. Did I look up the wrong company?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 S550
Anton...Give Jeffrey Santos a call. He a finance person at Mb. Here is his info: jsantos@mbofelmbrook.com, 262-821-5000. I bought my extended warranty from him and the price beat all others by a substantial amount. Webpage is http://www.mbofelmbrook.com/dealership/staff.htm

Hd
Old 11-15-2014, 12:25 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by natcahd
Anton...Give Jeffrey Santos a call. He a finance person at Mb. Here is his info: jsantos@mbofelmbrook.com, 262-821-5000. I bought my extended warranty from him and the price beat all others by a substantial amount. Webpage is http://www.mbofelmbrook.com/dealership/staff.htm

Hd
Awesome! Thank you for the info! I'll call him first thing Monday!
Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Hmm, i thought your car had to still be under either the manufacturer's or the CPO warranty to purchase an extension with Mercedes?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:12 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by Nuru
Hmm, i thought your car had to still be under either the manufacturer's or the CPO warranty to purchase an extension with Mercedes?
That is correct. I just found that out.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 PM

2011 S550
Anton...Sorry about that.

Hd
Old 11-16-2014, 04:17 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Anton...Sorry about that.

Hd
No worries Jeff is trying to get met set up with an aftermarket warranty. Will keep everyone posted. In the mean time and recommendations are appreciated!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by anton28
Hey guys just picked up a designo white on white 2009 s550 60k miles. One owner p3 with pano roof car. Very existed to add it to the family. I've searched around this topic in the past a read endless posts but wanted to see what's new as far as aftermarket warranties are concerned from owners that recently purchased them. Is Bruce still around? He was the guy to go to back in the day for warranties. NAA won't let me apply because I'm not a vet others don't cover cars in California for some reason. Looking for a reliable warranty carrier. Any input much appreciated.
congrats
was that car in cali? private seller... think you beat me to it.. lol
is it nice?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by Fly by night
congrats
was that car in cali? private seller... think you beat me to it.. lol
is it nice?
Yup that's the one I'll post up pics soon!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:02 PM

E class
Originally Posted by anton28
Yup that's the one I'll post up pics soon!
i want one with with white/porcelain interior. black or white body
who's got one for sale
Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
who's got one for sale
There's 6 right now on auto trader. S550/63/65. All miles and price ranges. Keyword search designo and so white exterior and white interior and that will narrow down your search.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:15 PM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
who's got one for sale
There's 6 right now on auto trader. S550/63/65. All miles and price ranges. Keyword search desingo and so white exterior and white interior and that will narrow down your search.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec

Hd
Thanks for the heads up on this guy. Just got off the phone with him. Told him he was getting a little press here on the MB forum. My local dealer wanted almost $3,000 for an additional year and up to 75,000 miles on my '13. His price was $2,050 including tax.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:57 PM

2011 S550
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
Thanks for the heads up on this guy. Just got off the phone with him. Told him he was getting a little press here on the MB forum. My local dealer wanted almost $3,000 for an additional year and up to 75,000 miles on my '13. His price was $2,050 including tax.
Chuck...Glad that worked out for you...He usually only adds a small flat fee, instead of the escalating scale other dealers use.

Hd
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Make some calls to credit unions in your area. Many of them offer great warranties....most being better than what the dealers offer at a fraction of the price dealers charge. And definitely choose an exclusionary policy.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
To be clear, "exclusions" in a policy are things that aren't covered. You want a policy with as few exclusions as possible. All service contracts will be exclusionary to some extent. Exclusions benefit the carrier, not the policy holder.

Before buying make sure you read the actual long form policy contract and pay special attention to the subsection labled "EXCLUSIONS". Do not go by the little laminated 8 x 11" sheet of paper with the various tiers of coverage layed out in simple bullet points they want to hand you. Bring your reading glasses, because the contract is going to be in faint grey 8 point type, specifically to dissuade you from actually reading it.

Note that when a contract is involved, verbal representations are non binding and non enforceable. For example, you read an exclusion in the actual contract that states "struts and steering racks" are excluded. Your sales guy says "They have to put that, but they cover those on Mercedes all the time. I guarantee they're covered". Ask him to add and initial a notation to the contract stating that and you'll get a flat no. Also pay attention to your "Duties & Obligations" in the contract. Does it require a lot of documentation of maintenance records, because that's just another form of an exclusion if you don't strictly comply.

Push comes to shove, anything that's not contained within the four corners of the contract simply does not exist from a legal standpoint. All service contracts (they can't be called "warranties" unless they're issued by the manufacturer) must contain a cancellation clause to avoid being classified as an insurance product, which are heavily regulated. You can typically get refunded in full within 60 days, and on a prorated basis after that.

If you sell or trade the car before the service contract expires you're entitled to the return of unused prorated premium. You'll need a copy of the bill of sale and the odometer statement.

The 3rd party contracts with coverage of the same level as MB's offered by CU's will be insanely expensive in comparison. A "premium" or bumper-to bumper top tier 3 year policy on 221s when I shopped price was between $9,000 and $12,000 with a $500 deductible. That was from Mercury, EasyCare and Mile One. No 3rd party carrier will even write an AMG car.

Bear in mind that Mercedes gets quite a discount on its own parts and labor, which is something no other warranty provider enjoys, and that's reflected in the warranty pricing

I recommend starting your search by speaking with the MB service tech or indie shop owner you plan to use for repairs about which if any 3rd party warranty companies they find reasonable to work with and which flat out suck. Claim time is where the rubber meets the road, and these guys are on the front lines. My indie shop won't deal with any of them...he told me I'd need to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. Good to know before you buy. A great deal on a service contract is useless if your shop won't work with the carrier.

Last edited by Mike5215; 11-23-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
To be clear, "exclusions" in a policy are things that aren't covered. You want a policy with as few exclusions as possible. All service contracts will be exclusionary to some extent. Exclusions benefit the carrier, not the policy holder.

Agreed! You want to find a policy with the fewest amount of exclusions....AND at a price that makes sense.

Before buying make sure you read the actual long form policy contract and pay special attention to the subsection labled "EXCLUSIONS". Do not go by the little laminated 8 x 11" sheet of paper with the various tiers of coverage layed out in simple bullet points they want to hand you. Bring your reading glasses, because the contract is going to be in faint grey 8 point type, specifically to dissuade you from actually reading it.

Agreed again. I have my full policy (it is backed by Virginia Surety Insurance) and it goes over all of the specifics of what is not covered and my responsibilities as the policy holder. It contains much more detail than the pamphlet.

Note that when a contract is involved, verbal representations are non binding and non enforceable. For example, you read an exclusion in the actual contract that states "struts and steering racks" are excluded. Your sales guy says "They have to put that, but they cover those on Mercedes all the time. I guarantee they're covered". Ask him to add and initial a notation to the contract stating that and you'll get a flat no. Also pay attention to your "Duties & Obligations" in the contract. Does it require a lot of documentation of maintenance records, because that's just another form of an exclusion if you don't strictly comply.

Fortunately, my exclusionary policy does not state that struts and steering racks are excluded. Shock absorbers are excluded, but struts are not. If you read the policy in full, you'll notice that the all of the exclusions are things that are normal wear and tear items that almost no warranty would cover, such as batteries, tires, hoses, spark plugs, shock absorbers, etc.

Push comes to shove, anything that's not contained within the four corners of the contract simply does not exist from a legal standpoint. All service contracts (they can't be called "warranties" unless they're issued by the manufacturer) must contain a cancellation clause to avoid being classified as an insurance product, which are heavily regulated. You can typically get refunded in full within 60 days, and on a prorated basis after that.

If you sell or trade the car before the service contract expires you're entitled to the return of unused prorated premium. You'll need a copy of the bill of sale and the odometer statement.

Agreed again. That's why it's very important to choose an "exclusionary" policy, especially when it comes to complicated cars like the S-class. Reading the policy in full and getting the proper service done is important, and guarantees coverage.

The 3rd party contracts with coverage of the same level as MB's offered by CU's will be insanely expensive in comparison. A "premium" or bumper-to bumper top tier 3 year policy on 221s when I shopped price was between $9,000 and $12,000 with a $500 deductible. That was from Mercury, EasyCare and Mile One. No 3rd party carrier will even write an AMG car.

Sorry Mike, but you're wrong on this one... at least in my case. I spent $3300 on my "exclusionary" policy that covers my V12 S-class with a $100 deductible for 7 yr/75k miles from the date of warranty. Same company that covered my V10 M5 and gave me absolutely no hassles with claims. They also cover AMG cars....amazingly at the same price as any other S-class except the hybrid. 4matic cars are a little more expensive for coverage than the RWD cars. My price was low because my car only has 24k miles. Once mileage gets over 35k, prices start to go up a little and years and miles start getting scaled back.

Bear in mind that Mercedes gets quite a discount on its own parts and labor, which is something no other warranty provider enjoys, and that's reflected in the warranty pricing

I recommend starting your search by speaking with the MB service tech or indie shop owner you plan to use for repairs about which if any 3rd party warranty companies they find reasonable to work with and which flat out suck. Claim time is where the rubber meets the road, and these guys are on the front lines. My indie shop won't deal with any of them...he told me I'd need to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. Good to know before you buy. A great deal on a service contract is useless if your shop won't work with the carrier.

I did my homework on this too. My indie and local dealer have no problems with my warranty company in getting claims paid.

I can understand your skepticism regarding warranties on these cars....especially the V12 motors and AMG. I used to read all of the same stuff over at the M5 boards where people were paying small fortunes to get coverage. Once they found out that credit unions offer very good policies at just a fraction of the cost of places like Fidelity and Easycare, they had a hard time believing it too. But it certainly is true...if your local credit unions offer the coverage. Not all of them do....so it's best to keep calling around until you find one within reasonable distance that does offer it. It's certainly worth looking as it can save you thousands.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
No question that's a good deal, and of course the car's starting mileage affects the premium greatly because the risk is so much more diminshed. 23k is extremely low miles for an 07 (unless you bought it in mid 2008). The danger zone for an S Class seems to be 60k and up. What sort of repairs has your S600 required to date and how much has your warranty paid so far in total? The math seems terribly one-sided in favor of the policy holder. $3300 for top tier full 7/75 coverage on a Mercedes V12...a single coil pack for that car is a couple grand. Isn't the 07 S600 biturbo as well? I'd want as much stuff to break right now because with that kind of underwriting that warranty company may not be around very long

Did your CU underwrite your mechanical failure coverage in-house or do they broker for a carrier? What's the name of your CU and/or the 3rd party carrier? It would be useful info for new forum members looking for solid coverage at a low price.

Last edited by Mike5215; 11-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 AM

E class
coil packs are under 1k per. fidelity has been AMAZING on my 600.
i hear good things about ZURICH as well. my warranty runs out end of 2015. i'm gonna check with credit union on another ext warranty.
the fidelity 3rd party was for 3 years and was approx $4500 with $100 deductible and car had 31000 for miles.

Last edited by Fly by night; 11-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
What has Fidelity paid out in warranty repairs to date for you? Did they need to do your coil pack(s)? Phone auth or did they need to do a field inspection?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
No question that's a good deal, and of course the car's starting mileage affects the premium greatly because the risk is so much more diminshed. 23k is extremely low miles for an 07 (unless you bought it in mid 2008). The danger zone for an S Class seems to be 60k and up. What sort of repairs has your S600 required to date and how much has your warranty paid so far in total? The math seems terribly one-sided in favor of the policy holder. $3300 for top tier full 7/75 coverage on a Mercedes V12...a single coil pack for that car is a couple grand. Isn't the 07 S600 biturbo as well? I'd want as much stuff to break right now because with that kind of underwriting that warranty company may not be around very long

Did your CU underwrite your mechanical failure coverage in-house or do they broker for a carrier? What's the name of your CU and/or the 3rd party carrier? It would be useful info for new forum members looking for solid coverage at a low price.

My S600 hasn't required any repairs yet. It will be delivered to me this week. It's on its way from CA. Of course the car is the bi-turbo since all S600's after 2003 are. Yes, the math does seem one-sided. Perhaps this company has not yet insured a lot of V12 TT motors yet and haven't been hit with lofty repair bills. I had only 1 claim on my M5 and it was paid immediately. I did a lot of research before purchasing that warranty for my M5 and the general consensus was that they pay their claims....so I decided to purchase it. Since it's administered by "The Warranty Group" who has a great reputation of administering CarMax warranties, I felt much better about the purchase. It is also backed by a long standing insurance company, Virginia Surety, so I'm not worried about them packing up and going out of business. The company is Consumer Program Administrators based out of Chicago. I don't know if different credit unions offer different plans, but I assume that if the local credit unions offer warranties and are part of the CUNA network, this would be the plan that they sell.

The great thing about credit unions is that they are not for profit, so you're not paying the normal salesman and company mark-ups for the policies. Perhaps this is why they are so reasonably priced.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by DaveW68
My S600 hasn't required any repairs yet. It will be delivered to me this week. It's on its way from CA. Of course the car is the bi-turbo since all S600's after 2003 are. Yes, the math does seem one-sided. Perhaps this company has not yet insured a lot of V12 TT motors yet and haven't been hit with lofty repair bills. I had only 1 claim on my M5 and it was paid immediately. I did a lot of research before purchasing that warranty for my M5 and the general consensus was that they pay their claims....so I decided to purchase it. Since it's administered by "The Warranty Group" who has a great reputation of administering CarMax warranties, I felt much better about the purchase. It is also backed by a long standing insurance company, Virginia Surety, so I'm not worried about them packing up and going out of business. The company is Consumer Program Administrators based out of Chicago. I don't know if different credit unions offer different plans, but I assume that if the local credit unions offer warranties and are part of the CUNA network, this would be the plan that they sell.

The great thing about credit unions is that they are not for profit, so you're not paying the normal salesman and company mark-ups for the policies. Perhaps this is why they are so reasonably priced.
Got it. The celebrations might be a bit premature. Hit us back once you've taken delivery of the car and actually had a couple of claims processed.

Virginia Surety Company/Warranty Services Inc/ had 168 BBB complaints in the past 36 months for improper (at least as far as the customer was concerned) claim denials. The running theme seems to be that they either blame the consumer for inadequate maintenance despite the owner's protests and sufficient documentation, or they claim that a small part that failed and led to a catastrophic repair wasn't covered and therefore the resulting major failure itself wasn't covered. It's a common issue with 3rd party warranty contracts.

Those complaints show as "resolved", however BBB counts any response by the business to the complaint as a "resolution". Realistically, the S600 is a known repair cost nightmare and anybody who's selling you 7 year bumper to bumper coverage with a $100 deductible for $4k isn't in the habit of paying out a lot of claims, or has no idea what they're insuring. Neither scenario bodes well.

While your CU may well be not for profit, I assure you that Virginia Surety isn't remotely close to being not for profit, and that's who your premium money went to. But once you own the car and have had to go through a claim with them post back.

Last edited by Mike5215; 11-24-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
No need to be a Debbie Downer. My experience with them on my M5 (which is known to have more issues than an S600) was great. I do keep my cars maintained according to the manufacturer specs and keep all of my receipts. I have a feeling that the majority of the folks who had complaints either didn't keep up with the maintenance as clearly spelled out in the agreement, didn't keep their service records, or never took he time to actually read the agreement to see what their responsibilities were as a policy holder. Most likely they didn't follow the maintenance schedule.

All warranty companies, even MB have complaints with the BBB. Ripping this one apart because it is much less expensive than others really isn't being fair. If you do your part and follow the outlined procedures, which are very common with all warranties, then you very likely won't run into these problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a S550 need aftermarket warranty options.