S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fitting aftermarket 2010 face lift lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 CDI
Fitting aftermarket 2010 face lift lights

Good Evening Guys & Gals,

Im fairly new to Mercedes and the Forum have been a BMW guy since ive been driving and 6 months ago i purchased my first mercedes (S-Class W221).

About 6 months ago when i bought the car i bought some DEPO lights for it however i found that when fitted to the car no matter how i tried they leaked water and allowed water to seep into the boot. When i put hte originals back on this promptly stopped was very unusual.

I have now purchased a set of eagle eyes and am keen for this not to happen again can anyone offer fitting instructions or guidance and advice?

Do i need to take the rubber seals of the original light and attach them to the aftermarkets? The eagle eyes look like they come with a rubber type seal already attached is this alone going to be enough to keep the water out etc?

Thanks in advance for reading this look forward to hearing from all of you
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 CDI
Forgot to mention i didn't bother trying to fit the left hand side light originally only the right driver side and it allowed water in i really should have tried both at the time!! Any help for fitting advice will be greatly appreciated just to make sure.

Previously i followed this:

Old 09-13-2016, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
I just installed these Depo face lift lights today. I noticed that at the top of the lights, there are vertical fins instead of a smooth surface like on the original tail lights. This seems like a strange design since at the top corner where they meet the car next to the trunk, it looks like water can leak through.

Does anybody who has installed these know if this was intentional design? Or is it some sort of design flaw? I ended up putting on some 3M double sided tape in the area prior to mounting the light to try and seal off that area. I sure hope I don't get any leaks.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S550
I installed the Depos about a year ago and haven't had any issues with leaks (two Florida summers so far). Mine had rubber gaskets like the OEM ones, so no difference there. Is it possible they weren't tightened all the way?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by justinmorrison
I installed the Depos about a year ago and haven't had any issues with leaks (two Florida summers so far). Mine had rubber gaskets like the OEM ones, so no difference there. Is it possible they weren't tightened all the way?
Mine have the rubber/foam gaskets that seal (hopefully) the hole where the electrical connections come into the trunk like the OEM's too. I just installed mine, so they never had a chance to leak. But I can understand the complaints that others had about leaking as the top edges have vertical slats instead of a smooth edge. No matter how I tried to tighten them, there was still a 1/2 inch or so spot in the top corner where a little of those slats were exposed. I could see that water could easily get down there, so my solution was putting a strip of double sided 3M tape (the kind with the thin layer of foam) over those slats so that water can't get through there. Having the slats along that top edge seems like a strange/poor design to me.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
My experience with DEPO is that before installing you must silicone the inside edges of the lens other wise you will get water in the light.