S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone use their factory comand to play video output?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
01 ML55 / 97 E320/01 CLK55/ 2010 S550
Anyone use their factory comand to play video output?

The project I took on was to put factory style headrest monitors in my 2010 S550. Well I didn't like the factory monitors as they were not as clean as I wanted to be so I added 9" high def monitors. How clean are the pixels? they are as clean as an Ipad. I also have wifi on them. Nothing special but the task was I wanted to use the factory DVD player and comand unit to be sending video out to the headrest monitors. Anyone see that one done? I've searched and nothing out available for this task. Only video input to play on the comand screen. I already have that in my glove box for that. The factory monitors either have built in DVD players or the one DVD player between the rear seats. That's not convenient enough for me so I am working with a manufacturer to make me this module and hopefully will be ready for me to test it out in the next couple weeks. This should be the first as I have not found anyone who has accomplished this task. If so I'd like to know. I attached a pic of the monitors I installed but awaiting the prototype module to arrive for testing. I used my phone to take the pics, kinda blurry due to the way I took the pic but it's super clean.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone use their factory comand to play video output?-monitor1.jpg   Anyone use their factory comand to play video output?-monitor-2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by mbmoding
The project I took on was to put factory style headrest monitors in my 2010 S550. Well I didn't like the factory monitors as they were not as clean as I wanted to be so I added 9" high def monitors. How clean are the pixels? they are as clean as an Ipad. I also have wifi on them. Nothing special but the task was I wanted to use the factory DVD player and comand unit to be sending video out to the headrest monitors. Anyone see that one done? I've searched and nothing out available for this task. Only video input to play on the comand screen. I already have that in my glove box for that. The factory monitors either have built in DVD players or the one DVD player between the rear seats. That's not convenient enough for me so I am working with a manufacturer to make me this module and hopefully will be ready for me to test it out in the next couple weeks. This should be the first as I have not found anyone who has accomplished this task. If so I'd like to know. I attached a pic of the monitors I installed but awaiting the prototype module to arrive for testing. I used my phone to take the pics, kinda blurry due to the way I took the pic but it's super clean.
The image quality looks good. Are those two IPad minis strapped to the front headrests? How do you plan on getting video to them since they lack any AV inputs? I guess with a decent 4G WiFi hotspot they could stream Netflix and Amazon Prime, YouTube etc. Can't really store a lot of movie rips given the limited RAM and no way to add external hard drives

If it's mainly running a local movie library it might make more sense to use a Windows tablet like the new Surface Pro 3. That'll run an external HD for ripped movies. XBMC is a hometheater front end user interface that is very slick and looks gorgeous. It will run on a Windows tab and is highly customizable:

A typical movie presentation; The software is free of course.

It would need access to a decent size set of external disks, likely hidden under the seats. A Ripped Blu Ray takes around 30GB of space versus around 4GB for a DVD. I just picked up an external laptop HD with 2TB for $130. A pair of those would store plenty of BlueRay or DVD movies without the hassle of physical DVDs.

For audio you could Bluetooth out to the COMAND's aux in. Add a set of cheap portable wifi keyboard/mouse combos and you're in business.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
As far as video for the external monitors from comand...in both of my range rovers I had to splice in to the fiber optics and connect an rca output with a spliiter to run to the headrest which came out perfect.

Since there is an rca input in the glovebox of the w221 I have been thinking about how to break in to that line which would be easy (but video only from there) and I'd rather have it coming OUT of the dvd player which would be a lot cleaner. It would be nice if there is a module to connect to the dvd player which would give a video output. What would really be nice is to be able to duplicate the comand display on the rear monitors for all functions like the nav, etc.

I found this...but doesnt look like it applies to the w221.
http://www.sune-tech.com/products/me...ent-system.htm

I'm sure it is able to be done somehow...just would probably be a little pricey, which I don't mind because I think it would look good.

Last edited by WHPH28; 12-02-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:23 PM

The monitors I have are new model prototypes not released yet. I am working with the manufacturer to have these released with the module which will allow your factory cojmand dvd player as the source for the video. These do look as good as an Ipad but these are not Ipad screens. These units have micro SD on the side panel with headphone jacks but you can use IR headphones but I prefer using the factory comand and sound system. These headrest monitors do have audio videon input wires (not seen) they run through the seat to the center console awaiting the test module. I will take better pics of the headrest when I get the chance. These monitors are really easy to install and run the wiring. Supposedly you can stream video to these monitors but onlythrough Android but I only have Ios. These monitors are kinda like an Android tablet but are not tablets stuck to a headrest. When you turn on the headrest, it's exactly like the factory comand screen with the Mercedes lodo showing up first. It's very clean and you would think it's OEM but in fact it is way better than OEM. Sides are completely covered with no exposed RCA jack, larger HD screen, wifi capability, Micro SD card, stream capability. Because of my work I haven't spent too much time knowing more about the monitors since I don't have android phone. Anyway I can't wait til the module comes in. I'll post when it's all done.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Nice. Very cool. Why can't they work with ios? Are they able to be updated? I'm assuming they have some kind of firmware in them for updating purposes? Does the am Ida tire plan to make these compatible with iOS at a later time?

Also, you said they have wifi, etc. on my tv, if I'm playing a YouTube video on my iPhone, I can hit one button and it with shoot that video to my tv. It's awesome. You should mention this to them. I think it's just a protocol they can add.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
I have this in my car i got them from Korea 900us
Old 01-11-2015, 05:54 PM

W221/S550
I added several hundred songs to a friends Micro SD card.....when I went to check if/how it played in my car I found some video on his card which played on the main screen (where the nav/audio display is).

Not sure what format the video is in as I use a Mac and there is 8GB of info on his memory card that I can't see on my computer.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:58 PM

W221
Originally Posted by Garticus
I added several hundred songs to a friends Micro SD card.....when I went to check if/how it played in my car I found some video on his card which played on the main screen (where the nav/audio display is).

Not sure what format the video is in as I use a Mac and there is 8GB of info on his memory card that I can't see on my computer.

You have to erase the sd on Mac then use it if has been on a pc Mac cant always see what is on the sd
Old 01-11-2015, 06:02 PM

W221/S550
Originally Posted by Emre81
You have to erase the sd on Mac then use it if has been on a pc Mac cant always see what is on the sd
I didn't want to erase the info on his card.

I saw that it's a 16GB memory card with 7.92GB free on it......I loaded 4GB's on MP3's on it........popped it in my dash and the first thing it began playing on his card was a video.

I would've loved to find out what file extension that vid was saved as.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:04 PM

W221
Originally Posted by Garticus
I didn't want to erase the info on his card.

I saw that it's a 16GB memory card with 7.92GB free on it......I loaded 4GB's on MP3's on it........popped it in my dash and the first thing it began playing on his card was a video.

I would've loved to find out what file extension that vid was saved as.

Check with a pc then if you have and let me now what it was saved as

Last edited by Emre81; 01-11-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Wrong Word
Old 01-11-2015, 06:17 PM

W221/S550
I don't have any Windows machines (only the one I use @ work which I dare not put any kind of personnel memory device in it as it is highly forbidden)

.......he uses a MacBook so he does not know either.

I already gave the card back to him.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:38 PM

W221
Tell him to downloade a Mac emulator to use pc pograms on like a mapreader some sorte
Old 01-11-2015, 06:49 PM

W221/S550
When see him @ work tomorrow.....I'll speak with him.

I may have to take a trip up to his place in Jax to do that as I don't think he's very tech savvy.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 AM

You were able to play a video file from the card? The comand only allows to play video only through the aux input besides the disc. I'm curious how's that possible? I've been messing with the menu on the comand screen under video but doesn't offer the option to open video files on eithe USB or media. What am I missing?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 AM

I have this in my car i got them from Korea 900us
Are you saying you have a module that allows you to use your comand unit to send video output to the rear monitors? I'd like to see your setup as I am working with a manufacturer to make this along with another idea not available yet. Can you link me the product you have?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:01 PM

W221
Are you saying you have a module that allows you to use your comand unit to send video output to the rear monitors? I'd like to see your setup as I am working with a manufacturer to make this along with another idea not available yet. Can you link me the product you have?
I will find it and send you it if you want photos can do that too
Old 01-15-2015, 04:27 PM

W221
http://www.navinc.nl/webshop/multime...16-p-1420.html

Look her this has out put from the comand
Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM

W221
Or a lvds too cvbs converter
Old 01-15-2015, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
I have sold these modules that send the comand video to rear for a long time now. Not anything new at all.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM

W221
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
I have sold these modules that send the comand video to rear for a long time now. Not anything new at all.
Har du noe annet kult på lager som du selger
Tenkte oppgradere front lyktene men ikke lett å se hva jeg trenger
Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Jag har massor liggandes till W221 efter alla byggen. PMa mig eller kika i min shop.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:32 PM

2016 Mercedes GL350 CDI
is it possible to explain it in English?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 PM

http://www.navinc.nl/webshop/multime...16-p-1420.html

Look her this has out put from the comand

I have seen similar modules like this but I don't think it will allow the comand unit to send the video out from the comand to the headrest. It may sound like it does but I don't think so. How these modules work is that you send a video input from an external DVD player (not the comand unit dvd player) and the video output from the module will go to the headrest.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chris The Swede

So you say you have sold or sell? I haven't been able to find or seen one at all. All the modules I've seen required an external DVD player to be able to play through both headrest and comand. Not comand DVD player with video out to rear monitors. I would like to know who makes it if there is such a module because I haven't been able to find it. I've searched the net and found only the same typical module that won't do what I'm looking for. I'd like to see pics and install manual to confirm if this is true.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
PM me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone use their factory comand to play video output?