S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just sayin hello. And a quick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s550
Just sayin hello. And a quick question

Hey guys! My name is John and I just got myself a 2007 S550 AMG Package. I'm a member of ClubLexus for my other car and wanted to join you all as well. So far I've had the car for one week and it is amazing! I do have one question though.

For some reason, the rear of my car sits much higher than the others I've seen. Is there any reason for this?

Also, I know some cars with airbags can be fitted with an aftermarket controller to adjust the ride height to what the driver wants. Does the W221 have any controllers that can do this?

Thanks guys! Can't wait until I know about this car as much as you guys so I can be the one helping the newbie.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Hi John. The S (and any car with an air suspension) is easy to drop. The least expensive way is with adjustable links. The high end way is with a module as you mentioned. There's one around here that lets you adjust the height using the steering wheel controls for around $1500. Links are around $300. They both serve the exact same purpose, to trick the controller into believing the car is riding too high and lowering it.

An MB tech can also use the STAR interface to drop about an inch. Putting the Airmatic in "Sport" mode also drops the car as well. Whenever you lower you're putting less air in the strut chambers and reducing the cushion that gives the S its signature ride. A little drop won't reduce ride quality much but the cooler the car looks the crappier the ride. It's just physics. Same with 22" wheels. Both combined you may as well be driving a steamroller.

Personally I'd do the links. You can self install in about 20 minutes and fiddle around until the height is where you want it.

Also every time you change ride height you're altering the steering geometry so the car needs an alignment when you change height.