S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking to purchase 2010 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Yukon
Thank you for the posts. Can I assume that the airmatic is standard and not an option on these? It's good to know about the up front costs though. Having said that, when you mention what a typical brake job may cost, is that a warranty coverage item? I know you're giving an example, but regular maintenance is one thing in my mind and system failures is another. Shame on anyone for complaining about regular wear items if they didn't research prior to the purchase. My opinion of course. While this may be blasphemy with a psuedo cross post, but I have to ask. Does the E class exhibit the same type of repairs and costs? Are the base components typically the same across the model line-up, or is the S class completely different due to a longer wheelbase etc. If that's the case.....
Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, horrible depreciation over the first three years, which is fairly normal for high end luxury cars in general. But they're generally well cared for and it's common to find them in like new condition. Lease turn ins do account for a lot of the two old cars, since MB puts the best residuals on 24 month lease terms.

The used market also consists of cars from owners who won't keep the car outside the original 4/50 warranty period. I do believe the potential high cost of repairs and maintenance is reflected in the stiff depreciation, to answer your question.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by tights24
Thank you for the posts. Can I assume that the airmatic is standard and not an option on these? It's good to know about the up front costs though. Having said that, when you mention what a typical brake job may cost, is that a warranty coverage item? I know you're giving an example, but regular maintenance is one thing in my mind and system failures is another. Shame on anyone for complaining about regular wear items if they didn't research prior to the purchase. My opinion of course. While this may be blasphemy with a psuedo cross post, but I have to ask. Does the E class exhibit the same type of repairs and costs? Are the base components typically the same across the model line-up, or is the S class completely different due to a longer wheelbase etc. If that's the case.....
The Airmatic is the standard suspension. The upgraded suspension is Automatic Body Control (ABC) and that's actually a little more expensive to repair if it goes bad.

The S/CL stands apart in the line, while the E, C, CLS and the SUVs etc are more "normal" cars. Every new tech MB experiments with goes to the S/CL first, so there are a lot of systems on an S/CL you won't have on other cars in the range. In short, the E is not a 'mini S', depreciates less steeply and is less expensive, but no other Benz drives nothing like an S.

Really, nothing else drives like an S. I don't think anyone begins their S Class ownership with a rational examination of the objective data about the car's depreciation or repair and maintenance costs.

S Class ownership begins with a test drive, followed immediately by trying to figure out how to bring it home.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
^^ Exactly!

The funny thing is that Lexus stole a ton of market share away from Benz in the 1990's with the LS400. And it was for good reason as MB was super expensive and didn't really care about upgrading their cars frequently enough or making them more reliable. The electronics in the Lexus were so much better, it had a superior sound system with the Nakamichi system, and a smoother and more compliant ride. They hit the Germans in the gut and set the luxury car world on its ears by offering a luxury experience at a fraction of the cost of the Benz.

With the introduction of the W220 chassis in 1999, it seemed that MB went backwards and started to market to Lexus customers with that offering. All of a sudden the car was smaller and even looked more like a Lexus. It was Benz' most popular S-class of all time at that point, even though it seemed to take a step backwards by shrinking in size and weight. And cabin materials seems to be down-graded from the previous model. I think this upset many of the core buyers of these cars who liked driving a signature car that nobody could mistake as being anything but a Benz.

Then with the W221 into in 2006, MB upped the ante huge with all of the tech that came with that car. It also grew in proportions and weight, and felt like one of the most substantial cars on the road, except for maybe Bentley or Rolls. And compared to those marques, the car was a bargain. It also out-teched and out-classed the Lexus LS430 and LS460. While the Lexus rides very comfortably, it does not have the solid feel of the Benz or the amount of amenities the Benz offers. And you certainly can't go top notch with a Lexus and find anything that performs like the S600 or AMG models. And comparing it to the Audi A/S8 or BMW 7 series, it looks and drives better. And the interior is miles ahead of BMW and ahead of Audi.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I had a 220 (two actually) and drove a current gen LS460 back to back. To my eye, beneath a very thin veneer of "luxury" finishes lurked a very average large Toyota sedan. I found the tech to feel almost geriatric in its simplicity and the font on every control and screen looked disproportionately large, for the 60+ crowd.

In lieu of an air suspension, which gives a smooth isolated ride without giving up a lot of control and feel, the Lexus was just plain softly sprung. It wallowed like an old Buick on the road. . Get into a used Lexus and the interior smells bad, and the interior materials look degraded. I honestly cannot understand the appeal, especially for the money, of the Lexus. They're 2/3rds the price of an S and 1/3 the car. The new design language with the gaping fish mouth up front is horrible, and the new interiors look plasticky, disjointed and cheap.

Last edited by Mike5215; 01-15-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
The best thing Lexus has going for them are their bullet proof powertrains and electronics. But you're right, they do feel and look cheap compared to the S-class. There is no car other in the world under $150k that is built as solid and is as plush as the S-class. They are also the leader in automotive technology development and implementation.

If they were as reliable and cheap to maintain as Lexus, they'd have the entire luxury market cornered.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S550
I was also just in the market for a 2010-2011 S550 and ended up buying a 2012 S550 2 days ago. I test drove the 2009-2012 Models and LOVED the 2012 more than the other ones mainly because of the new Twin Turbos in the 2012's. I would definitely advise going with the 2010 and up with that nice new face lift look. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Originally Posted by DaveW68
The best thing Lexus has going for them are their bullet proof powertrains and electronics. But you're right, they do feel and look cheap compared to the S-class. There is no car other in the world under $150k that is built as solid and is as plush as the S-class. They are also the leader in automotive technology development and implementation.

If they were as reliable and cheap to maintain as Lexus, they'd have the entire luxury market cornered.
Listen, I love my Benz but the lexus does not feel & look cheap sorry maybe u were thinking about the Kia.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by wilassasin
Listen, I love my Benz but the lexus does not feel & look cheap sorry maybe u were thinking about the Kia.
I said "compared to the S-class". I've had 5 Lexus' (4 LS & 1 GS), with the last one being a 2008 LS460. I think I'd know how they compare to the W221 after owning both brands.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Oh another question about the Mercedes CPO process. How does that process work as far as the certification? Do they just inspect certain components and if they look fine say it passes or do they replace/repair any part that needs it in order to pass the inspection process? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Prochambers
Oh another question about the Mercedes CPO process. How does that process work as far as the certification? Do they just inspect certain components and if they look fine say it passes or do they replace/repair any part that needs it in order to pass the inspection process? Thanks.
They replace anything that's not perfect. Mine had a super small chip in windshield and it got a brand new oem windshield. If the wheels have small scrapes, the wheels are refinished. A cpo car should look very good, except the leather. I think there are some heavy people driving these cars. Many had leather super stretched out on center armrest, side armrests, seats front and back. I was lucky to find a car that was mint will 11k on it.

Now, did mine need a cpo done with only 11k? Probably not, but if it didn't have a cpo I wouldn't be able to add the "Mercedes extended cpo" later. There's been some debate about that, (buying a car that doesn't have a cpo), and my dealer said they'd have to buy the car back from you, then cpo it, then sell the car back to you. That's if you have a hookup.

Last edited by Jason B; 01-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Jason B
They replace anything that's not perfect. Mine had a super small chip in windshield and it got a brand new oem windshield. If the wheels have small scrapes, the wheels are refinished. A cpo car should look very good, except the leather. I think there are some heavy people driving these cars. Many had leather super stretched out on center armrest, side armrests, seats front and back. I was lucky to find a car that was mint will 11k on it.

Now, did mine need a cpo done with only 11k? Probably not, but if it didn't have a cpo I wouldn't be able to add the "Mercedes extended cpo" later. There's been some debate about that, (buying a car that doesn't have a cpo), and my dealer said they'd have to buy the car back from you, then cpo it, then sell the car back to you. That's if you have a hookup.
It's a pretty intensive inspection, and for wear items they check for minimum tolerances and if they're too far gone they'll be replaced. All of the cosmetic stuff inside and out is repaired or reconditioned. A CPO car should look and driver very close to brand new.

If they miss anything mechanical the warranty will pick it up later, but as far as the cosmetics you need to check carefully for anything they missed...cracked trim, etc because once the car leaves the lot that stuff isn't covered.

www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo#!layout=/cpo/overview/certification&waypoint=cpo-certification
Old 01-19-2015, 06:27 AM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by Jason B

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 AM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by Mike5215
It's a pretty intensive inspection, and for wear items they check for minimum tolerances and if they're too far gone they'll be replaced. All of the cosmetic stuff inside and out is repaired or reconditioned. A CPO car should look and driver very close to brand new.

If they miss anything mechanical the warranty will pick it up later, but as far as the cosmetics you need to check carefully for anything they missed...cracked trim, etc because once the car leaves the lot that stuff isn't covered.

www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo#!layout=/cpo/overview/certification&waypoint=cpo-certification
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I said "compared to the S-class". I've had 5 Lexus' (4 LS & 1 GS), with the last one being a 2008 LS460. I think I'd know how they compare to the W221 after owning both brands.
I agree no they don't feel as solid as the Benz but then again they don't feel as solid as any BMW I've owned either imo as far as ride and build quality, but I still would never use the word cheap to describe the Lexus brand in any way. I've owned 3 bmws to date along with 3 Lexus' out of those two brands. I currently drive an rx350 daily driver, but I will say this that these German Tanks are excellent for safety.

Last edited by wilassasin; 06-27-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 S550 4MATIC, 2007 R-350
I am waiting for my 2012 S550 4-matic (with ~18K miles)to be shipped to me.

What are the first things you do when you get a used S550?

1. I read some would change the transmission fluid right away
2. Get a third party warranty ( I will have to do this because it is out of warranty)
3. I also read to change all the fluids in the car?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Have your local dealer pull the internal service history. You should be able to step right into that presuming the maintenance is current. No need to address anything that isn't called for in the recommended maintenance unless the prior owner skipped it.

Try your local credit union for a 3rd party warranty. Other than that, enjoy the car.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 S550 4MATIC, 2007 R-350
Will Do, Thanks!