S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New (to me) 221 with a couple minor issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S550
New (to me) 221 with a couple minor issues?

Hey everyone,

I have a recently purchased 2009 S550 which I am absolutely in love with. This car replaced a 2002 e320 which was reliable but boring. Prior to that I had a 1987 560SEL, and I guess I've been eager to get back into the "S" space.

Anyway, there seem to be a few minor issues, so just looking for some insight. I am a fairly capable DIYer, but don't want to start taking things apart for no reason (glad I saw here that the legend around the headlamp switch isn't supposed to be illuminated... saved me some valuable time!)

1. The car has the factory auxiliary input in the glove box (red/white/yellow RCA), however I cannot select it from the COMAND unit. According to the manual, I should just click Audio, and then Audio again, however the only options that come up when doing so are AM/FM, CD, DVD, and MP3. Is there a step I'm missing?

2. I tried the iPod interface (also in glove box) with my iPhone 6 and the Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter, but as above, no way to select this input in COMAND

3. There doesn't appear to be an option to dim the ambient dash lighting in COMAND. Was the ability to adjust the brightness there an option?

4. My car is equipped with keyless-go, and thus, if I have the key on me, and pull the drivers door handle, the car unlocks. Additionally, if I touch the little square, the car locks. This feature seems to work on all doors except the rear drivers side door, which will not lock or unlock.

Lastly, on the left hand side of the trunk there is a little pull with a small two sided hook that comes down. What on earth is the intended use of the hook? Is it to hang my boxers so they don't wrinkle?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Originally Posted by justinmorrison
Hey everyone,

3. There doesn't appear to be an option to dim the ambient dash lighting in COMAND. Was the ability to adjust the brightness there an option?

Lastly, on the left hand side of the trunk there is a little pull with a small two sided hook that comes down. What on earth is the intended use of the hook? Is it to hang my boxers so they don't wrinkle?

Thanks!
There is a knob immediately to the left of the Comand screen that controls the brightness.

The hook is for your grocery bags and is a very convenient feature. My only regret is not having another hook on the other side of the trunk.

Last edited by steveb9771; 02-24-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes S320
Originally Posted by justinmorrison
Hey everyone,

1. The car has the factory auxiliary input in the glove box (red/white/yellow RCA), however I cannot select it from the COMAND unit. According to the manual, I should just click Audio, and then Audio again, however the only options that come up when doing so are AM/FM, CD, DVD, and MP3. Is there a step I'm missing?

2. I tried the iPod interface (also in glove box) with my iPhone 6 and the Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter, but as above, no way to select this input in COMAND

Thanks!

It's possible your Audio and Video Menu's in the Comand do not have the AUX feature coded, in which case the MBenz dealer can do that. After which you should see them as per these pictures.

I assume your RCA port will work after selecting Video AUX and iPod/iPhone after selecting Audio AUX. Not sure if iPhone 6 is compatible though. I have the iPhone 4S and am using Tune2Air which is great, check it out.

I assume you know about the ambient lighting on your Comand as per picture.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 AM

2009 S550
Originally Posted by Prash
It's possible your Audio and Video Menu's in the Comand do not have the AUX feature coded, in which case the MBenz dealer can do that. After which you should see them as per these pictures.

I assume you know about the ambient lighting on your Comand as per picture.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll stop by the dealer on my next free day to take a look at the missing Aux input option. I guess I'll also have to ask them about the ambient lighting option pictured, which is also missing. I wonder how/why those things disappeared?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:43 AM

2009 S550
Originally Posted by steveb9771
There is a knob immediately to the left of the Comand screen that controls the brightness.

The hook is for your grocery bags and is a very convenient feature. My only regret is not having another hook on the other side of the trunk.
Grocery bags! That makes sense! There appears to be mounting holes on the right hand side for another hook. I suppose one could order another and install it there.

The knob next to the COMAND screen is for the speedo and button lighting, but doesn't control the lighting along the dash and doors. And for whatever reason, the option to dim/brighten those is absent from my car.