S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Well, it came...

Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C63s AMG, c230k
Dang sorry to hear that, I had a similar issue, with BMW though, bought a blue X5M from florida, had it transported to san diego. Like you, no communication...they were a week late, paid for closed transport but it was open, super filthy and an extra 200 miles on the speedo. once I got it washed, found the front bumper was thrashed and needed to be repainted as well as BOTH side quarter panels, the window moldings were coming off and the driverside door panel looked as if it were beaten with a small hammer. needless to say I resold the car b/c the dealership refused to take responsibility as well as the transporter.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
I get busy and not read the forum for one day, and... wow.

Having read all the posts, I want to present my perspective. It was my postthat sparked the conversation. I do not intend to start another banter--itwould just be silly.

To me, I am still befuddled at how Dave immediately made the jump from aphone bracket installation photos to distracted driving. I felt like I wasimmediately attacked and *told* that it was wrong, not to be like "all themorons", and what I should do.

Even after I explained my intended use, I was told that it was a "lameexcuse" and given instructions on what I should do instead. Maybe this wasDave's way of helping, but it certainly didn't feel like it.

Again, a phone holder does not automatically mean distracted driving. Makingthe direct jump, then the conclusion and the disrespectful remarks were, to me,uncalled for. The whole charging solution also left me dumbfounded. Everyonehave their preferences and reasons, but Dave's statements made me feel likeunless it was his way, it was wrong. After that, I stopped responding.

As others have pointed out, a phone holder can make things safer--it is in afixed location, it is not moving around, it won't go flying during suddenmovements.

I have only been here a short time. Both Mike and Dave have been helpful. Ifound that Mike's responses almost always make me laugh. I was surprised byDave's in this thread, especially after I explained a different perspective.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
You must have missed post #179. BTW, love the color of your exterior.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 S550
Dave...good job not responding to Snovv's possible re-stoke...I know that wasn't his intention.

Hd
Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by TheMechanic
Dang sorry to hear that, I had a similar issue, with BMW though, bought a blue X5M from florida, had it transported to san diego. Like you, no communication...they were a week late, paid for closed transport but it was open, super filthy and an extra 200 miles on the speedo. once I got it washed, found the front bumper was thrashed and needed to be repainted as well as BOTH side quarter panels, the window moldings were coming off and the driverside door panel looked as if it were beaten with a small hammer. needless to say I resold the car b/c the dealership refused to take responsibility as well as the transporter.
I, for one, have certainly learned a lot from my experience. I presume that you took a lost when you sold the car? A lot of dishonest people out there....

Originally Posted by natcahd
Dave...good job not responding to Snovv's possible re-stoke...I know that wasn't his intention.

Hd
Hd: It was not my intention. Going forward, though, I do hope that we can discuss various subjects, express opinions, and share aspects about our cars without being unjustifiably criticized, or in scolded disrespectful ways.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM

I'm your huckleberry
Now that the vibration issue is mostly mitigated, I have a question on one remaining concern:

The upper cylinder/upper portion of the engine makes a tapping noise (sounds like a lifter noise) during the first 10 or so seconds of startup. It is especially obvious during cold/overnight starts. The longer the car sits, the more prominent it is. All signs point to a lubrication issue. The dealer installed some sort of oil anti-drain back valve, but the noise seems to persist.

Any common causes? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by snovvman
Now that the vibration issue is mostly mitigated, I have a question on one remaining concern:

The upper cylinder/upper portion of the engine makes a tapping noise (sounds like a lifter noise) during the first 10 or so seconds of startup. It is especially obvious during cold/overnight starts. The longer the car sits, the more prominent it is. All signs point to a lubrication issue. The dealer installed some sort of oil anti-drain back valve, but the noise seems to persist.

Any common causes? Thanks.
Purge valve.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 AM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Jason B
Purge valve.
I was hoping it was a purge valve working, but I do not believe that's the cause of the noise. I am familiar with how the purge solenoids tick, but this sounds like engine. Also, the noise begins immediately. Purge valves usually don't activate for several seconds after start. Thanks though....
Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
How many miles did you buy your car with? All of the problems that you're having sounds like it has well over 100k on the odo. It sounds like the previous owner beat the living sh*t out of your car in the short time that they owned it. I hope the CPO is able to sort all of your issues with little to no cost to you. You definitely win the award for patience on this board.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
How many miles did you buy your car with? All of the problems that you're having sounds like it has well over 100k on the odo. It sounds like the previous owner beat the living sh*t out of your car in the short time that they owned it. I hope the CPO is able to sort all of your issues with little to no cost to you. You definitely win the award for patience on this board.
Why does he win an award for patience? He bought the car sight unseen. I'm happy that everything is working out for him, but he took the risk of buying it without looking at and driving it first. I'm not defending the dealer that sold him the car either, but caveat emptor...
Old 03-23-2015, 01:40 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Thanks, but I'm not patient, believe me. The mileage is higher for a 2013, but not out of the ordinary. From my observations, the selling dealer did not properly CPO the car. Since the car is warrantied until 2020, I won't worry about it. I don't keep cars that long anyhow, but I think I might just go new next time. Many fewer headaches. I went with the W221 because I really liked the look. I still can't warm up to the 222. I know I wanted a 4Matic, so I gave up on the AMG and V12 variants and set out to find one with the most toys. The B&O, pano, rear seat entertainment, splitview, and sport package do make up for the issues. I like the color too.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:46 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Awrryan
Why does he win an award for patience? He bought the car sight unseen. I'm happy that everything is working out for him, but he took the risk of buying it without looking at and driving it first. I'm not defending the dealer that sold him the car either, but caveat emptor...
Yup--trust no one at their words, including those from the M-B dealer, their website, written agreements, and their published CPO documentation for the specific car. Warn your family and teach your children folks--when it comes to distance and international commerce, unless you put your own eyeballs on the item, it's on you!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Yup--trust no one at their words, including those from the M-B dealer, their website, written agreements, and their published CPO documentation for the specific car. Warn your family and teach your children folks--when it comes to distance and international commerce, unless you put your own eyeballs on the item, it's on you!

I purchased mine sight unseen too from San Diego. Fortunately I dealt with an honest dealer. I did tons of research on the dealer and the car before pulling the trigger on it. My research showed that many folks had their cars shipped from this dealer and they had tons of repeat business. There were over 70 high def pics of the car and it sat on the showroom floor. I also had Bruce Mendel arrange for the shipping for me ($800) and had the car in just 4 days from San Diego to Chicago burbs. It was sent regular carrier (not enclosed). The car was filthy when I got it, but a quick wash revealed that it was as good as the pics on the dealer's website.

Don't necessarily discount buying a car sight unseen. Just do lots of homework on the car and the dealer prior to committing. If you haven't done so, go onto every car rating sight you can and document your experience with the dealer so that others can benefit from your what you went through.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 S550
Don't necessarily discount buying a car sight unseen. Just do lots of homework on the car and the dealer prior to committing. If you haven't done so, go onto every car rating sight you can and document your experience with the dealer so that others can benefit from your what you went through.
Bought Mine long distance Utah to Atlanta. Mine was on showroom floor with lots of pics. I did have some backup as done through dealer process. It was still scary .

Hd
Old 03-23-2015, 05:49 PM

I'm your huckleberry
I purchased mine sight unseen too from San Diego. Fortunately I dealt with an honest dealer. I did tons of research on the dealer and the car before pulling the trigger on it. My research showed that many folks had their cars shipped from this dealer and they had tons of repeat business. There were over 70 high def pics of the car and it sat on the showroom floor. I also had Bruce Mendel arrange for the shipping for me ($800) and had the car in just 4 days from San Diego to Chicago burbs. It was sent regular carrier (not enclosed). The car was filthy when I got it, but a quick wash revealed that it was as good as the pics on the dealer's website.

Originally Posted by natcahd
Bought Mine long distance Utah to Atlanta. Mine was on showroom floor with lots of pics. I did have some backup as done through dealer process. It was still scary .

Hd
I agree with you both. I disagree with Awrryan's recent and previous assertions that when buying something sight unseen, it's all on the buyer. Anytime you buy something online, you're buying it sight unseen. When things go wrong, we expect the seller to resolve the issue.

I'm sure that all of us, including Awrryan, have been screwed by at least one transaction in our lifetime. In those cases, we expect that the other party to make efforts to make things right.

If we all take on the distrusting approach and put it to strict practice, it would put e-commerce and international trading to a halt. We would not enjoy the opportunities to acquire some of the interesting toys that are only available from afar.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 S550,E320 CDI, 911 Turbo 964
I do like the idea, that I gleaned from this thread, of utilizing the services of a professional appraiser before consumating a long distance transaction. This is essentially what is done at the auctions where dealers purchase their lease returns from.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:52 AM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Windshield Time
I do like the idea, that I gleaned from this thread, of utilizing the services of a professional appraiser before consumating a long distance transaction. This is essentially what is done at the auctions where dealers purchase their lease returns from.
Yeah--I would do the same next time. Just need to ensure that the inspector/appraiser performs the work to the detail required.

- - - - - -

This week, as unbelievable as it may seem, will be the first time that I get to have my car for the whole week since I paid for it at the end of January (yes, almost two months later). No visits to the dealer planned, not waiting for transport, not waiting for the dealer, no need to go to the tint shop or carwash...

Things are looking up!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 S550,E320 CDI, 911 Turbo 964
Have a great week, snovvman.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
Yes. In Mercedes terms this period is known as "The Golden Week", in which seven consecutive days pass without the owner once wondering what the f*** he's gone and done by buying the car..

I remember mine as if it were only yesterday. Of course, I was a much younger man then (cue dream sequence flashback music)...
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
I agree with you both. I disagree with Awrryan's recent and previous assertions that when buying something sight unseen, it's all on the buyer. Anytime you buy something online, you're buying it sight unseen. When things go wrong, we expect the seller to resolve the issue.

I'm sure that all of us, including Awrryan, have been screwed by at least one transaction in our lifetime. In those cases, we expect that the other party to make efforts to make things right.

If we all take on the distrusting approach and put it to strict practice, it would put e-commerce and international trading to a halt. We would not enjoy the opportunities to acquire some of the interesting toys that are only available from afar.
Buying something new online is different than buying a used car sight unseen. Anyone may have a reasonable expectation that a new item purchased online should arrive in new condition, but Snovvman bought a used car with mileage sight unseen. It's not a new car. It's used and is unlikely to be in perfect condition even if it is certified. Had he inspected the car first, he wouldn't have been in the position of having to deal with the items he was required to address after he purchased it. To suggest that you expect a seller to remedy any problems when you haven't protected yourself is completely unreasonable in the context of purchasing a car, especially when the car is purchased as-is, even if it is certified. A car salesman is a car salesman (no offense to anyone here). There is a reason they have the reputation they have. To rely on a car salesman without protecting yourself is your fault. Even though that is my opinion, it's also my opinion that a car salesman that misrepresents a car is wrong.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Awrryan
Buying something new online is different than buying a used car sight unseen. Anyone may have a reasonable expectation that a new item purchased online should arrive in new condition, but Snovvman bought a used car with mileage sight unseen. It's not a new car. It's used and is unlikely to be in perfect condition even if it is certified. Had he inspected the car first, he wouldn't have been in the position of having to deal with the items he was required to address after he purchased it. To suggest that you expect a seller to remedy any problems when you haven't protected yourself is completely unreasonable in the context of purchasing a car, especially when the car is purchased as-is, even if it is certified. A car salesman is a car salesman (no offense to anyone here). There is a reason they have the reputation they have. To rely on a car salesman without protecting yourself is your fault. Even though that is my opinion, it's also my opinion that a car salesman that misrepresents a car is wrong.

While there is a certain amount of truth to your post, in this case with the OP buying a Benz CPO car that is supposed to meet very strict standards for condition and should be in like-new condition after it has been through the full range of tests and reconditioning (if needed), he had reason to be confident that the car would be delivered in the condition promised. The particular Benz dealer he purchased the car from really dropped the ball on several levels and he was delivered a car that did not meet the CPO guidelines.

As mentioned previously, it is not always a bad idea to purchase a car sight unseen if you've taken the proper precautions. In the case of the OP, he got shafted, but was fortunate in the fact that he's getting almost all issues fixed on MB's dime after the selling dealer screwed the pooch.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450 4Matic, C300
Holy **** I just sat here and read all 9 pages����

Did get good towards the end though lol
Old 07-03-2015, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
I had a good experience buying a 2012 W212. However, the receiving dealer did the CPO, and that made it a lot easier for me, than depending on the sending dealer.