S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

EPC-net = EPC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
EPC-net = EPC?

I bought the EWA/EPC/WIS/ASRA/WIS discs the moment I bought the S. It's running well in a VM. I know there is also the EPC-net. Is there anything that the EPC-net offers that the local version of EPC does not?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
TT = MC2
Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 AM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by DaveW68
TT = MC2
Thanks for your reply. I do not know what that means. Quantum physics? TT = the MC2 constant?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by snovvman
I bought the EWA/EPC/WIS/ASRA/WIS discs the moment I bought the S. It's running well in a VM. I know there is also the EPC-net. Is there anything that the EPC-net offers that the local version of EPC does not?

Thanks.
Ok, english please. What is that and what does it do?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Jason B
Ok, english please. What is that and what does it do?
Loosely--
EWA -- don't know what it stands for, but it encompasses EPC and WIS
EPC = Electronic Parts Catalog
WIS = Workshop Information System
ASRA = Some German acronym that provides for labor rates/times

VM = Virtual Machine (Commonly VMWare or Virtual Box)

These are database apps that run inside a VM guest. They provide the parts catalog, pricing (in Euro), factory service information/instruction (sort of), etc.

I had the same for my BMWs, so I sought it out when I bought the Benz.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550

Thanks.
I run the same setup (2013) and would guess that it is not updating vs the EPC-net. I'm thinking the only difference would be prices, as part numbers normally remain the same. I've never have got the prices to work anyway.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Why do you want all of this? Benz is nothing like BMW. Where BMW is easy to change settings and do diagnosis with a simple OBD2 cable and software, Benz is pretty much locked down and you need to visit the dealer to make any changes, do any programming, or diagnosis any problems.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:27 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Atcpup
I run the same setup (2013) and would guess that it is not updating vs the EPC-net.
I figured the same, but wanted to know if EPC-net provides a better search UI or additional info that the local EPC does not.

Why do you want all of this? Benz is nothing like BMW. Where BMW is easy to change settings and do diagnosis with a simple OBD2 cable and software, Benz is pretty much locked down and you need to visit the dealer to make any changes, do any programming, or diagnosis any problems.
BMW settings/diagnosis is not trivial if you want to make factory level changes and coding. It requires factory software. It's very doable, but you need to have some knowledge and skills. I flashed my Euro DME/ECU to U.S. and back, coded certain modules to a specific year to expose certain features, and used a specialized tool to tell the light controller not to do a bulb check because I went from incandescent to LED.

With Benz, based on my research and information from Nuru, I believe many of the coding and settings can also be done once the factory tool is acquired and set up. From what I have seen, the difference is that there is a smaller Benz technical/DIY (vis-a-vis factory tools) community, accordingly the collective knowledge is less available.

Insofar as the EPC and WIS--they are very helpful to me. I can look up part numbers, what parts apply to my car, diagrams showing how parts relate, and the WIS provides specifications, some step-by-step information, such as removing a bumper or seat, etc. I've read a few posts about people saying that there is no factory service manual, the WIS is probably as close as they come.

Even if my car was under warranty, I would elect to do certain work myself. Sometimes it's a convenience factor, sometimes it's just interesting, and sometimes it's because I want it done right. One example is the seat heater cushion. I'm sure the dealer has a process, but I may want to take my time and make sure that it is fitted more perfectly than the dealer would (Jason).
Old 03-05-2015, 03:36 PM

I'm your huckleberry
This is an aftermarket tool, looks interesting, albeit pricy.
http://www.keyprogtools.com/index.ph...r-for-mercedes
Old 03-05-2015, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I did lots of programming on my E60 M5 with my BM Technic cable and software. It was pretty much a breeze to figure out with all of the info available on the forums.

If you get programming figured out on these Benz' and share it with us poor common saps, I guarantee you'll be lauded as a pioneer on this and other Benz boards.

I wish you the best of luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 03:41 PM

I'm your huckleberry
I did lots of programming on my E60 M5 with my BM Technic cable and software. It was pretty much a breeze to figure out with all of the info available on the forums.

If you get programming figured out on these Benz' and share it with us poor common saps, I guarantee you'll be lauded as a pioneer on this and other Benz boards.

I wish you the best of luck!
After getting GT1 and other factory pieces, things are [relatively easy]. I started playing with INPA and NCS Expert, those are more tricky because everything is text based and the strings are in German.

Once I get all the issues with my S settled, I'll start digging into the Benz tools. It would certainly be cool....
Old 03-05-2015, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
After getting GT1 and other factory pieces, things are [relatively easy]. I started playing with INPA and NCS Expert, those are more tricky because everything is text based and the strings are in German.

Once I get all the issues with my S settled, I'll start digging into the Benz tools. It would certainly be cool....

I did all of my programming in NCS Expert. There was a tool called NCS for Dummies that did the translations and made programming a breeze.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Epc - Electronics parts catalogue the .net version is the MB- online one ,that has latest relevant partnumbers, as MB tends to update their partnumbers as time progresses and parts are sold in an updated or improved version.

If you want to start changing parameters you need Das-Xentry with the developer rights.
For some repairs and replacement of parts ,version coding is often needed.
If extra original MB accessoiries are added(that are not on your options list) access to Mercedes Das-Xentry online is sometimes required.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Epc is a standalone version of epc-net. EPCnet gets updated more often. WIS also is either standalone or online. I dont bother with EPC, and just call my dealer because there tend to be many parts revisions. I just use DAS and Xentry for diagnosis.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by marthyh
Epc - Electronics parts catalogue the .net version is the MB- online one ,that has latest relevant partnumbers, as MB tends to update their partnumbers as time progresses and parts are sold in an updated or improved version.

If you want to start changing parameters you need Das-Xentry with the developer rights.
For some repairs and replacement of parts ,version coding is often needed.
If extra original MB accessoiries are added(that are not on your options list) access to Mercedes Das-Xentry online is sometimes required.
+1 - yes this is definitely the case. Good Post. Let me add some options such as 282/308 (Fridge) can be added without DAS/ZXentry as they are only provided power.

Last edited by Nuru; 03-11-2015 at 10:18 AM.