S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lowering Kits on W221!! Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550/500 & 2007 S350
Question Lowering Kits on W221!! Need Help

Hello to all you Mercedes lovers out there. I have a W221 which I have finally decided to lower. But I'm not sure what would work for me? I want something that is adjustable and permanent. I want it to drop the ground or as low as it can possibly get when parked, a little higher but still noticeably low when I want to cruise slowly and something for when I approach nasty speed bumps because there is quite a few of them in Dubai.
Shops here are not as expert as people from Europe and US so something very easy to install.
I've heard of Renntech and AirRex not sure which to go for?

And finally what parts do I need and what needs to be changed exactly? Thank you and much appreciated, I'm new to this and eager to learn more
Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
get a lowering module
Old 03-31-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 S550
Virtus....Ask Hara on this page....he just posted this info.

Hd

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...roject-25.html
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
s550
Im in same boat as you. so from what i know is cheapest way is to get links. they are adjustable and cheap. if your looking for like hard parked slammed while your parked. from what everyone else ive talked to and asked a ton of questions they use link to lower it a bit. then add a module. there is a guy from dallas that has a friend who sells modules for $650. im thinking of going links and module.

also airrex is nice but why take off the factory air ride if its working fine. theres options before going aftermarket air ride. people who ive talked to that have used a aftermarket air ride all said they wanted to go back to stock air ride and use module. good luck

Last edited by xxfightclubxx; 03-31-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by xxfightclubxx
Im in same boat as you. so from what i know is cheapest way is to get links. they are adjustable and cheap. if your looking for like hard parked slammed while your parked. from what everyone else ive talked to and asked a ton of questions they use link to lower it a bit. then add a module. there is a guy from dallas that has a friend who sells modules for $650. im thinking of going links and module.

also airrex is nice but why take off the factory air ride if its working fine. theres options before going aftermarket air ride. people who ive talked to that have used a aftermarket air ride all said they wanted to go back to stock air ride and use module. good luck
Links and modules do the exact same thing. You'd just need one or the other, never both. You have the same range of adjustment either way. Stripping out the OEM Airmatic system sounds like a huge waste of money and a good way to depreciate the car.

Lowering does look good but it screws up the car. As soon as you evacuate the strut's air chambers (which essentially act as the car's springs) enough to visibly lower the car the ride quality evaporates rapidly. There is a sweet spot but it doesn't give you a full on lowered look. The car requires a fresh 4 wheel alignment whenever the ride height is changed. I've lowered before and I'd never do it again.

But, if you must, links by Adjustable Air Ride or Ghostlinks will put you as low as you'd like and they're not expensive. The LoMo(?) module that patches into the CAN and allows adjustment via COMAND is pretty damn cool but not cheap.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Just curious, if the car needs aligned when ride height is changed, how does Mercedes get away with letting the user raise and lower the car quite a bit for comfort and sport?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
^Camber has a range rather than an absolute value. The variation amongst the factory Airmatic modes is within the range. A drop will put the camber out of range.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:14 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by Mike5215
^Camber has a range rather than an absolute value. The variation amongst the factory Airmatic modes is within the range. A drop will put the camber out of range.

AND KEEP IN MIND WHEN ALTERING HEIGHT ONLY OEM ADJUSTMENT IS FRONT AND REAR “TOE”

GONE ARE THE DAYS WHEN “FULL FRONT AND REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT” MEANS JUST THAT!

AT K-MAC WE THEREFORE SAW THE NEED TO DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE PRECISELY ADJUSTABLE (SINGLE WRENCH) ONGOING ADJUSTMENT CAPABILITY.

FRONT CAMBER AND CASTER. REAR CAMBER WITH EXTRA TOE ADJUSTMENT (THE K-MAC PATENTED DESIGN ALSO HAS THE ADVANTAGE OF REPLACING THE 4 FRONT AND 4 REAR MAIN, HIGHEST WEARING SUSPENSION BUSHINGS AND HAVING TWICE THE LOAD BEARING AREA).

Resolving premature/costly edge tire wear, steering pull, improving traction and to return vehicle to factory specs after curb knock damage, load carrying, fitting wide profile tires/wheels and/or altering height OR BEING ABLE TO CHANGE SPECS ON TRACK DAYS.

You can install offset bolts (front only bushes) but these offer one only position adjustment. Minimal .3 of one degree (1/8 of an inch -3mm) and are labour intensive to remove/change setting. K-MAC bushings offer up to 3 times the adjustment range. On car accurately under load.

FIXING IT RIGHT THE 1St. TIME – No more ongoing trips to dealers or alignment shops or constantly changing tire brands because of only Toe adjustment or the minimal adjustment offered from inaccurate one only position offset bolts!

Bonus is the 4 front (and the 4 rear) bushings also replace the highest wearing suspension bushes. The K-MAC patented design allows twice the load bearing area with the front bushes being 2 axis/self aligning without the use of oil and air voids. Result is improved brake, traction and steering response.

Also importantly K-MAC rear adjusters move lower arms/tires inwards when wanting to reduce inner edge tire wear/improve traction (unlike “Camber Arms” that move top of tires outwards diminishing essential clearance to outer fender).

All kits come with instructions and bush extraction/insertion tubes (MB World member Heiss Rod has kindly provided step by step picture sequence re front bush installation. See https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/518431-k-mac-bushing-install-guide-w211-airmatic.html )

W221 Front kit (Camber and Caster) #502316K $480.

W221 Rear kit (Camber and Extra Toe) #502526K $480.

Including airmatic.

Special promotional price delivery for MB World members USA/CANADA $30 one kit or $40 for front and rear (average delivery time 3 – 4 days). Payment Visa, M/Card or PayPal.