S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Two repair questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
S550
Two repair questions

Two issues:

1. I've got a cracked windshield on my 2010 s550 that I'm going to replace. I've been warned to use only the dealer for this work. My insurer is going to insist on someone else. Am I correct in only using the dealer? I'm expecting this to be expensive but want it done properly.

2. I hit a jackrabbit way out in west TX and lost the chrome trim on the plastic trim that is under the front bumper and closest to the ground. I lost only the right piece. Is there a source for this piece, other than the dealer?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S430 4Matic
Check your insurance. I know that in MA all the glass is covered with no deductible. Also for Mercedes there are no after market windshields because of the special coatings and such. I have had mine replaced twice by a national glass company not the dealer. The dealer usually has a glass company come in and do it for them.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM

S550
Originally Posted by lganski
Check your insurance. I know that in MA all the glass is covered with no deductible. Also for Mercedes there are no after market windshields because of the special coatings and such. I have had mine replaced twice by a national glass company not the dealer. The dealer usually has a glass company come in and do it for them.
Thanks. Did you mean that you had the dealer replace the windshields, and the dealer used a national glass company?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
Most if not all dealers use a glass company to do repairs/replacements.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by lganski
My 08 s550 was replaced by an aftermarket brand,it cost like 100 less than original one.dont know where my second hand car dealer get it from
Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
1. A glass repair facility can order the aftermarket replacement windscreen in a lot of cases. you want to make sure they look at what manufacturer made the windscreen and then they will contact them and order the appropriate part, if it is available for aftermarket sales. The only difference is that, if you get it from the dealer, it may have the MB decal. MB use multiple vendors for their windscreens.

2. if you get the part number from your dealer or a dealer, you can order that part from a lot of places online and save money.

www.mercedespartssuperstore.com

Www.getmercedesparts.com

and others

Last edited by Nuru; 04-22-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 PM

S550
I checked in with the local MB dealer about the trim piece (cheap-- ordered it) and the windshield. The dealer said they don't do glass work, and I needed the talk with the glass guys next door. MB said the glass guy will get the windshield from them.

I talked with the glass guy who quoted just short of $2,000 for the MB glass. He also said the same maker who does the MB glass will sell the same spec to the glass guy, and it will be about half. I asked how good it would be and he said that it might be less good for fit/finish but should have all the films, etc. I'll probably be getting near 100,000 miles late this year, so almost trade in time. I could probably be happy with a well installed, slightly less good glass for 8 months, but I would hate to dump a screwed up car on the next owner.

Insurance covers the aftermarket glass but not the MB version.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by slcbbrown
I checked in with the local MB dealer about the trim piece (cheap-- ordered it) and the windshield. The dealer said they don't do glass work, and I needed the talk with the glass guys next door. MB said the glass guy will get the windshield from them.

I talked with the glass guy who quoted just short of $2,000 for the MB glass. He also said the same maker who does the MB glass will sell the same spec to the glass guy, and it will be about half. I asked how good it would be and he said that it might be less good for fit/finish but should have all the films, etc. I'll probably be getting near 100,000 miles late this year, so almost trade in time. I could probably be happy with a well installed, slightly less good glass for 8 months, but I would hate to dump a screwed up car on the next owner.

Insurance covers the aftermarket glass but not the MB version.
2000!? IS that includes labor?I can buy a new original MB glass with night vision for my s550 for 1200 and find some guy to install it 150~200!

You can make a deal with this guy,that you will give him extra money for original glass but let him report to insurance company that he installed a OEM one
Old 09-22-2015, 05:25 PM

S550
Update for this old thread

I started this thread and want to update things. The trim on the front was about $60 from MB, and I installed it. Found out pretty quickly that the only windshield option was going to be MB through their installer. Instead of fixing the windshield, I traded my 2010 w/82,000 miles in for a 2011 w/32,000. Two dealers offered attractive $'s for my 2010, and I sweetened the deal in my own mind by adding in the insurance money, plus expected repair cost.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
Nice, pics?