S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

E350 as a loaner car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Streamliner

Not to beat a dead horse, but once again, I just need to ask the question: If you were going to be involved in a severe crash, would you put yourself in the E Class sedan, the Hyundai or the Honda? My wife refuses to drive an S Class, as she feels it's too big for her. She loves her E350 sedan and I feel confident that in its class, it is one of, if not "THE" safest car on the planet. Those other makes are nice, but with 16 year old kids roaring around in 20 year old Surburbans, I need to put safety first and for me and my family, that means a Three Pointed Star, no matter how much we have to "suffer" with the old fashioned, Teutonic design, which we happen to love.

I honestly didn't feel any safer in that E350 than I would in a Taurus, Chrysler 300, or Chevy Impala. All of those cars are equally as safe in a crash, but offer a better ride, better comfort, more pleasing shapes, better materials, and are better looking over all....at a much lower entry price. Nothing about that E350 shouted "I'm a $70k Mercedes!" I wouldn't even give half that much for that car. Mercedes has a complete dud with this chassis, which has aged very quickly. I certainly hope they do better with the next model and make it look and feel like a $70k mid size luxury car again. I would have rather driven a low mileage 1998 E420 than the car I was put in for the last 3 weeks.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I honestly didn't feel any safer in that E350 than I would in a Taurus, Chrysler 300, or Chevy Impala. All of those cars are equally as safe in a crash, but offer a better ride, better comfort, more pleasing shapes, better materials, and are better looking over all....at a much lower entry price. Nothing about that E350 shouted "I'm a $70k Mercedes!" I wouldn't even give half that much for that car. Mercedes has a complete dud with this chassis, which has aged very quickly. I certainly hope they do better with the next model and make it look and feel like a $70k mid size luxury car again. I would have rather driven a low mileage 1998 E420 than the car I was put in for the last 3 weeks.
We'll, in the end, it's all a matter of opinion. You have your thoughts on this subject and I have mine. My best wishes to everyone: Enjoy whatever you drive and be safe.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I finally got my car back today. 3 weeks ago, when I was on my way to the dealer to pick it up, my service advisor called to let me know that when one of the employees was running it through their carwash, a customer who was running their car through it behind my car put it in drive and nailed the gas while still on the track, doing damage to my rear bumper. He then denied any responsibility, blaming it on the car wash for pushing his car into mine (mine wasn't even to the dry cycle yet). After lots of hassle, his insurance finally paid to have my bumper cover repaired and I just got it back.

I drove that E350 4matic for over 3 weeks. In that period of time, I helped my little sister buy a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T. Honestly, I'd take that car over the E350 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's roomier (lots more leg room in the back), better laid out, better materials, better fit and finish, and much quicker. Driving that car for 3 weeks only drove home my original point about the E350. It is not deserving of wearing a Benz badge, especially since a $26k Honda Accord V6 is a much nicer car....and even a 3 year old Hyundai.

But one positive of driving that E350 for 3 weeks: It made me appreciate my car even more. I felt like I was going from a 2005 Honda Accord to a new Bentley. The ride just felt dreamy again, with the sweet smelling interior, comfortable ride, big power on demand, and lots of room. For anybody who is getting tired of their S-class and considering something different....I recommend putting your car away for a few weeks, rent an E-class, then come back to your car. You'll likely want to keep it.
There is no questioning that a W221 S600 is in a different league than a W212. Sounds like the W212 was cost reduced along the line and I have been surprised to see seat covers split with a couple of years use.

Having said that the W212 is on the top of my list once the new one comes out simply because (in pre facelift Luxury trim at least) it drives like older Mercedes which while the run of the miil cars are terrific values in comparison they don't feel the same to drive and I can't imagine myself being satisfied with one. They just lack the sense of solidity combined with refinement.

I would love to own a W221 for it's beauty, quality of materials, and seat comfort but it feels like way too big of a car to haul my self around in. In fact the W212 is bigger than I would prefer but I am having a hard time warming up to the new C Class and think that it is a poor value proposition.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 09-18-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
There is no questioning that a W221 S600 is in a different league than a W212. Sounds like the W212 was cost reduced along the line and I have been surprised to see seat covers split with a couple of years use.

Having said that the W212 is on the top of my list once the new one comes out simply because (in pre facelift Luxury trim at least) it drives like older Mercedes which while the run of the miil cars are terrific values in comparison they don't feel the same to drive and I can't imagine myself being satisfied with one. They just lack the sense of solidity combined with refinement.

I would love to own a W221 for it's beauty, quality of materials, and seat comfort but it feels like way too big of a car to haul my self around in. In fact the W212 is bigger than I would prefer but I am having a hard time warming up to the new C Class and think that it is a poor value proposition.

Your old 2006 E350 was a better looking car than the current model...with a much nicer design, better layout, better shapes, and better materials. One of my co-workers has a 2006 E500 4matic and it is a very high quality car for a MB mid-sizer. It's unfortunate that MB took a couple of steps backward with the current model.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Your old 2006 E350 was a better looking car than the current model...with a much nicer design, better layout, better shapes, and better materials. One of my co-workers has a 2006 E500 4matic and it is a very high quality car for a MB mid-sizer. It's unfortunate that MB took a couple of steps backward with the current model.
Fair enough. Given that I may look for a late W211. I think that they look pretty smart with the AMG package.

Mine was vulnerable to intermediate shaft issue and SBC brakes both of which are cured with the later years. Consumers Reports really liked the W211's. What I liked the most about mine is that it was really quiet. It didn't handle all that great though. My girlfriend used to say that it turned like her mothers Tennessee Walker horse. It was smooth but in no particular hurry to change directions. One thing that I preferred about it to the newer ones is that it doesn't feel as big and I've never thought that front end on the W212 looked all that great. My Sister has a 2013 with sport package and I really did like driving it. The other thing they have over the W211 is the power to mileage ratio is way up.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 09-18-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
That is so true. I've driven a 2007 e350 sport and it feels much more solid and stable when driving and the materials inside are much better looking and feeling. It's crazy that the 2015 E I had as a loaner felt so cheap compared to the older one.
Attached Thumbnails E350 as a loaner car-image.jpg  
Old 09-19-2015, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Jason B
That is so true. I've driven a 2007 e350 sport and it feels much more solid and stable when driving and the materials inside are much better looking and feeling. It's crazy that the 2015 E I had as a loaner felt so cheap compared to the older one.
Speaking only for myself, whenever I drive a loaner car, it NEVER feels or looks as good as a new one you buy for yourself. I'll even extend this feeling to test drives in brand new cars, they just never seem to be right, untll they become yours.

We have a 2010 E350 sedan that I call my "pick-up truck," due to the folding rear seats that allow for such usable space. Compared to my wife's new 2016 E350 sedan, I see no quality issues. They are both rock solid with high quality materials throughout. Before the 2010, she had a 2004 E500. Again, I see the same level of quality. We love the 2016 and feel it is the perfect car for my wife, who refuses to drive an S, as she feels it is too big for her.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Speaking only for myself, whenever I drive a loaner car, it NEVER feels or looks as good as a new one you buy for yourself. I'll even extend this feeling to test drives in brand new cars, they just never seem to be right, untll they become yours.

We have a 2010 E350 sedan that I call my "pick-up truck," due to the folding rear seats that allow for such usable space. Compared to my wife's new 2016 E350 sedan, I see no quality issues. They are both rock solid with high quality materials throughout. Before the 2010, she had a 2004 E500. Again, I see the same level of quality. We love the 2016 and feel it is the perfect car for my wife, who refuses to drive an S, as she feels it is too big for her.

Yes. the E350 is the perfect wife car....because most women really don't give a crap what they're driving. As long as they're comfortable in it and it gets them around reliably, they're happy. Most men on the other hand, care how a car drives, feels, looks, and performs. So I would imagine most men who drive an E class are opting for the E550 or E63 with better driving dynamics and interior materials.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to buy my first Mercedes-Benz - 2012 E350 Sedan
sobering thread, to say the least... Looking to get my first luxury(?) vehicle and based on what I can afford and am comfortable with trying out as my first, I'm hooked on the 2012 E350... but wow... I HAVE the kia optima, I've tried the 2015 honda accord, and Impala... they (to me) don't seem close to what I get when I tested the E350. Maybe Im just dying to finally get in my first benz. This thread has me 2nd guessing (a little) ... I do agree on the CLA though... but now Im wondering if my beloved 2012 E350 is just a CLA in sheep clothing? I'll keep this thread in mind as I make a decision, but do still like the vehicle a lot.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by tamak
sobering thread, to say the least... Looking to get my first luxury(?) vehicle and based on what I can afford and am comfortable with trying out as my first, I'm hooked on the 2012 E350... but wow... I HAVE the kia optima, I've tried the 2015 honda accord, and Impala... they (to me) don't seem close to what I get when I tested the E350. Maybe Im just dying to finally get in my first benz. This thread has me 2nd guessing (a little) ... I do agree on the CLA though... but now Im wondering if my beloved 2012 E350 is just a CLA in sheep clothing? I'll keep this thread in mind as I make a decision, but do still like the vehicle a lot.
Don't listen to some of these guys
Coming from an S-Class, an E-Class will be disappointing. And it should, given that it is a step down from luxury to premium.

To me, comparing Kia's and Hyundais to an E-Class is idiotic. These cars are nowhere close to an MB. If you like it, get it...
Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by tamak

If you're going from a newer Optima to the E350, prepare to be disappointed. I'd take a newer Optima in a heartbeat over the E350....especially the 2.0 turbo motor in the Optima. If you have your heart set on a Benz, you might consider a slightly older low mileage S550. Those can now be had in the $20k's. They are many leagues ahead of the E350 or any BMW, Audi, or Lexus. But if you really want an E-class, you'd be better suited in the W211 prior model as it's a better car in many ways...especially the E500/550.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Coming from an S-Class, an E-Class will be disappointing. And it should, given that it is a step down from luxury to premium.

To me, comparing Kia's and Hyundais to an E-Class is idiotic. These cars are nowhere close to an MB. If you like it, get it...
I like the 2012 style much better with the double headlights and I think that's the style you should go for.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to buy my first Mercedes-Benz - 2012 E350 Sedan

To me, comparing Kia's and Hyundais to an E-Class is idiotic. These cars are nowhere close to an MB. If you like it, get it...[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Im still getting mine... maybe after a few years I'll look at it the same way and look down my nose... but for now? I CANT WAIT to get mine... already looking at a grille upgrade (premature, I know).
Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
These new Es are certainly disappointing inside. I recently purchased a 2006 E350 and I have sat in the new car. Completely cheap use of materials and boring interior styling. I like the interior in my W211 much more than the W212.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Update

My car is in for service today, so they gave me a 2017 E300 as a loaner. I figured this would be a good time to update about the E class.

This new car just has a much better presence about it. It now actually looks like a mid-size luxury car. The exterior looks so much better than the outgoing model. It looks like a smaller S, but definitely maintains the proportions of the previous E. The headlights look similar to the outgoing model, but they definitely fit the styling of this car much better than the previous car. The tail lights are the new MB feminine looking style, but they do fit the car well. Like the Lexus ES model, the E looks like a car that was built with women's styles in mind. But then again, all new Mercedes cars have a more feminine look to them.

Where the new model really shines is on the inside. While it still has the cheap looking and feeling MBTex seat material, everything else is completely upgraded and looks more fitting of a $50k+ mid-size luxo car. The dash is SO MUCH better than the previous model. The 12 inch central stack screen is absolutely gorgeous and is loaded with high def content. You can tell that this is the brand new interface for MB. It is much different than the previous COMAND that came in all MB models. The new system displays the album cover art of almost any song that runs through it, from radio, to Sirius, to streaming from my phone. And that Burmeister stereo is SO much better than the stereo in my S. The sound is very full and it seems good at replicating all of the instruments in a track, no matter how compressed the format. Even though the interior doesn't have all of the beautiful materials that my S600 has, it is put together in a way that makes you want to be inside the car. I haven't driven it at night, but I understand it has a large palette of interior lighting to choose from. I'm sure it would look beautiful.

The turbo 4 cylinder is meh. Like the previous E350, it felt like it needed more power. This is the model that will likely appeal to more women than men. It is not the car you want to be driving if you need to get around somebody quickly. The performance of the turbo 4 felt very similar to the previous E350. It is very punchy off the line, but quickly loses steam as speed increases. This car really wants the 4.6 bi-turbo V8, which would really complete it. I feel that a loaded E550 (when it arrives) will be a great car for $70k. It likely won't be the right car for me as I prefer the size of the S, but I think most folks will really like it. I think the E550 will draw a lot of buyers away from BMW and Audi when they come out. The interior is just so much better than what both of those companies currently offer.