S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

malfunction indicator, air strut failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S 550
Exclamation malfunction indicator, air strut failure

I had the malfunction indicator come on yesterday on way to work. I noticed later the car was sitting lower on the right side. The car shop closest to me read a code of 5285 saying " recover times filling of air suspension strut is too long". Then, I was able to drive it to my local indy Benz shop and on way there I heard air coming out of the front right. they say it needs new air strut. But they didnt scan for codes.They said the other side will go out most likely soon as well. What experience has anyone had with these ? I have an 07 S550 base model with 83k miles.

Thanks

Last edited by MattRuss; 09-09-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
They are right. Chances are they will blow one after the other....give or take a few thousand miles.
I have changed 3 suspensions since i got my car. first one blew last summer, next one last winter, last one blew several weeks ago. I expected it so was no surprised. bad city roads coupled with low profile tires don't help either. Takes a great toll on suspension.
You can get remanufactured air struts with lifetime warranty from Arnott.
installation is about an hour tops.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S 550
Originally Posted by just1time
They are right. Chances are they will blow one after the other....give or take a few thousand miles.
I have changed 3 suspensions since i got my car. first one blew last summer, next one last winter, last one blew several weeks ago. I expected it so was no surprised. bad city roads coupled with low profile tires don't help either. Takes a great toll on suspension.
You can get remanufactured air struts with lifetime warranty from Arnott.
installation is about an hour tops.
Thanks for your information.