S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S600 Speedriven Downpipes Installed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600
S600 Speedriven Downpipes Installed.

First things first, I dealt with Jo from Speedriven. He was EXTREMELY quick on the replies via email, we contacted almost on a daily basis whenever I needed help or had questions about anything.

I went with the catless downpipes with the h-pipe crossover. Originally wanted an x-pipe crossover but I didn't bother waiting an extra few weeks to have that done so I just took the h-pipe since they had that in stock.

My initial setup BEFORE installing the downpipes were muffler delete and deleted the 2 bottle resonators. I felt the car was loud but NOT LOUD ENOUGH LOL!

After installing the downpipes, we had a few CEL errors, and the car basically would put itself into LIMP MODE. Car was basically undrivable. Car was sputtering heavily, felt like it was going to stall, had misfires. AWFUL. Had the car over the weekend in this condition and it was just awful.

Me and Jo contacted via email and was able to have Jo at Speedriven actually contact my exhaust shop for troubleshooting. They did this for about 4 days and the car had finally cleared the CEL issue and was no longer in LIMP MODE and was drivable on Monday. It is now Wednesday and so far so good (fingers crossed). No CEL, no jerking, misfires, sputtering, all is well now.

Conclusions:

1)Car feels like it lost low-end power, but probably not since I didn't run any dyno's. You can hear the turbo spooling extremely well now and so that is probably why I THINK the car is slower on the lower end.

2)The car is SO LOUD O.M.G. It is so loud that I actually had to put the two bottle resonators back but the mufflers are still deleted. It was so loud I thought my ears were going to bleed when revving in my apartment parking lot! ITS AWESOME. But i just decided to put the resonators back. Surprisingly it muffled a lot of the sound....... still undecided if I want to delete these again........

3)There is quite a bit of drone at low rpms in the 1500-2500 range, but from the 3-5k range it sounds AMAZING!

4)Now considering doing a ECU tune but open to suggestions.

5)Lastly, honestly GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Will check back regularly and let you guys know if the car runs into any more problems. The first couple of days were just bad for me, but after they got it working I'm happy again
Old 10-07-2015, 09:43 PM

2008 S600, 2011 Ducati 1198
I have the resonator and muffler deletes on my '08 S600, love the sound and I can hear the turbos.. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE SOUND FROM YOURS!?!?!?

With that said, could you post a video? Pretty Pretty Please
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
What was the issue with the downpipes throwing the CEL and what did they do to resolve it?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:14 PM

2007 S600
Video will be coming soon!

When my exhaust was stock the first thing I did was muffler delete, wasn't loud enough. Then I removed the resonators and felt like it only got a LITTLE bit louder, more pop to the sound. However after my downpipes and putting the resonators BACK we would assume it would just have the same reverse effect and so the result would be a LITTLE bit more quiet but this wasn't the case. It made the car ALOT more quiet.... and by ALOT i mean i might have to take them out again and its only been one day LOL! Its like I never even put the catless DP's in.. weird huh?

So im not sure why the CEL was being thrown because it was supposed to be fine right out of the box. So with the CEL came the sputtering, jerking, LIMP Mode, etc etc. The first fix was to use defoulers for the rear 02 sensors but that didn't work, we got the same problems. This is what my exhaust guy told me he did to fix it:

Removed the supplied 02 extensions and put the 02 sensor directly in the exhaust pipe, and added smaller diameter flowing rear 02 defouler.

Not very car savvy so I hardly even understand what he did there, but it defiantly cleared the CEL problem and the car is back to normal driving.

Any inputs on the method he used? Pros and cons?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 PM

I had heard about this when my indy recommended not removing the cats, but I didnt realize it would cause the car to go into limp mode. He did say that everything would be fed back to the computer as a faulty function though and I guess I could see how that would cause those issues. You said that Speedriven stepped in to give recommendations on how to fix it? Did they say anything to you?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:44 AM

2007 S600
Yep the rep from Speedriven was very helpful. He and my exhaust guy spoke over the phone about the codes that were being thrown and basically troubleshoot together. I wasn't a part of the conversation because I am not car savvy at all whatsoever
Old 10-08-2015, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
ducati - where in SC are you? I think I may be heading down to NC this weekend.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by tchu-

Conclusions:

1)Car feels like it lost low-end power, but probably not since I didn't run any dyno's. You can hear the turbo spooling extremely well now and so that is probably why I THINK the car is slower on the lower end.

2)The car is SO LOUD O.M.G. It is so loud that I actually had to put the two bottle resonators back but the mufflers are still deleted. It was so loud I thought my ears were going to bleed when revving in my apartment parking lot! ITS AWESOME. But i just decided to put the resonators back. Surprisingly it muffled a lot of the sound....... still undecided if I want to delete these again........

3)There is quite a bit of drone at low rpms in the 1500-2500 range, but from the 3-5k range it sounds AMAZING!

4)Now considering doing a ECU tune but open to suggestions.
1. This should be expected because your back-pressure has been reduced. The down-pipes will reduce your torque, but increase your top end horsepower.

2. This seems very silly to me considering what the S600 is really meant for (it's not some kid's '89 Mustang who's trying to impress his friends), but to each their own I guess.

3. This would drive me absolutely nuts....since this is cruising RPM range.

4. I believe Speed Driven does tunes. You might always want to check out Eurocharged. You will need a tune that is customized for your mods.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 PM

2007 S600
Dave thank you for your input!

I also wanted to add the for all the extra time spent and the extra defoulers that had to be ordered, Jo over at Speedriven took care of all the costs. He took responsibility since the downpipes were supposed to be fine out of the box without any troubles.

A+

Ive heard from a tuner shop here in Vancouver that Eurocharged has blown many many motors, but they seem to have a great reputation on MBWorld. I will be doing a lot of research before I decide which company I will end up going with.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by WHPH28
ducati - where in SC are you? I think I may be heading down to NC this weekend.
I am in Summerville, slightly north of Charleston. Whereabouts in NC are you headed?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 PM

Dave thank you for your input!

I also wanted to add the for all the extra time spent and the extra defoulers that had to be ordered, Jo over at Speedriven took care of all the costs. He took responsibility since the downpipes were supposed to be fine out of the box without any troubles.

A+

Ive heard from a tuner shop here in Vancouver that Eurocharged has blown many many motors, but they seem to have a great reputation on MBWorld. I will be doing a lot of research before I decide which company I will end up going with.
GREAAAAAT!!! I finally choose someone to tune and they may or may not of blown motors. I wonder if thats only the canadian branch of eurocharged that has had those issues.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:14 AM

2007 S600
Here are what they look like installed
Attached Thumbnails S600 Speedriven Downpipes Installed.-img_7639.jpg   S600 Speedriven Downpipes Installed.-img_7640.jpg  
Old 03-03-2016, 12:43 PM

2007 S600
Hi, so have had the catless downpipes in for about half a year now. Still have no ecu tune since day 1.

Am just wondering if this will harm my car in the future? Heard bad things about running catless downpipes without a tune?

Speedriven claims their catless dps dont require any tune, can anybody give any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Hi, so have had the catless downpipes in for about half a year now. Still have no ecu tune since day 1.

Am just wondering if this will harm my car in the future? Heard bad things about running catless downpipes without a tune?

Speedriven claims their catless dps dont require any tune, can anybody give any suggestions?
I ran my S600 without Cats and 3" custom exhaust for 2+ years (with Carlsson mufflers). When I sold it we took it back to stock and I found out the secondary injector pump was shot. Apparently it had overworked itself trying to keep the car from faulting. Other than that, I didn't have any problems.

Erik
Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Why not run a tune on a V12 bi-turbo? That's where all the power is...