S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loud Squeaking Noise - Front Right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 s550
Cool Loud Squeaking Noise - Front Right

I have an extremely loud squeaking noise when I turn the steering and when I push the front hood up and down. The noise is coming from the front right side.

I ordered a control arm bushing and had the mechanic installed it to no avail.

Lemfoerder Control Arm Bushing - Front Right Lower Forward.

Last time I had this issue Mercedes replaced the thrust arm bearings.

Is the control arm bushing the same as the thrust arm bearing?

What else would cause this loud squeaking noise?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 PM

2007 s550
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...m_bushing.html
Old 05-05-2016, 06:30 PM

2007 s550

See chart
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 PM

2007 s550
I replaced number 5. thrust arm bushing.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
I have an e350 that had a similar noise coming from the front end. Surprisingly, the noise was coming from a rubber bumper between the hood and the frame in front of the chassis. I put some Teflon tape, from Wicks Aircraft Supply, on the bumper and it silenced the noise completely. There are lots of uses for that stuff by the way. Not sure if this could possibly be your issue but it is worth checking out.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 AM

2007 s550
I check and its from moving up and down and sister to side -- not on bumper. Thank you for thought
Old 05-06-2016, 11:42 AM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
This was my post from a few years ago. It better describes the fix. Perhaps its not the issue in your case by maybe.
"Started noticing a creeking/rattle sound coming from the right front. I hate nusance rattles and noises. Thought it could be a wire harness rattling somewhere up front. I was also suspicious of the strut because it was a distinct scrunch/creek when going over a speed bump in my neighborhood.

Suspecting the strut, even though the car has only 17k miles on the clock, I attempted to duplicate the sound by bouncing the suspension by pushing on the right front fender; not so easy on these tightly sprung cars. I noticed the sound was coming from under the hood down by the front where the fender meets the hood. Popped the hood and examined the small plastic bumper that helps assure the hood lines up properly when closed. I could not find a way to easily adjust this bumper but noticed there was certain abrasion between the top of said bumper and the under side of the hood.

Solution was some adhesive backed Teflon tape I had, very thin, applied to the top of the bumper. Completely quieted the noise.

If you notice a similar rattle/squeak/scrunching sound you may want to examine this bumper and the way it rubs against the underside of the hood. It was a simple fix and may be the source and solution to your annoying noise."
Old 05-06-2016, 12:53 PM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by mnje350
This was my post from a few years ago. It better describes the fix. Perhaps its not the issue in your case by maybe.
"Started noticing a creeking/rattle sound coming from the right front. I hate nusance rattles and noises. Thought it could be a wire harness rattling somewhere up front. I was also suspicious of the strut because it was a distinct scrunch/creek when going over a speed bump in my neighborhood.

Suspecting the strut, even though the car has only 17k miles on the clock, I attempted to duplicate the sound by bouncing the suspension by pushing on the right front fender; not so easy on these tightly sprung cars. I noticed the sound was coming from under the hood down by the front where the fender meets the hood. Popped the hood and examined the small plastic bumper that helps assure the hood lines up properly when closed. I could not find a way to easily adjust this bumper but noticed there was certain abrasion between the top of said bumper and the under side of the hood.

Solution was some adhesive backed Teflon tape I had, very thin, applied to the top of the bumper. Completely quieted the noise.

If you notice a similar rattle/squeak/scrunching sound you may want to examine this bumper and the way it rubs against the underside of the hood. It was a simple fix and may be the source and solution to your annoying noise."
I will open the hood and bounce car up and down and side to side and see if it does it.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by bmwcrocop
I will open the hood and bounce car up and down and side to side and see if it does it.
I checked and it's not coming from the hood but the back side of the wheel mount. 99% sure it's the ball joint.

Can you replace the ball joint without replacing the whole arm?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
Not to get you to start replacing parts unnecessarily, but if you look at #10, that is the likely culprit. Mine squeaked like a bad mattress at a cheap motel. Replacing #7 the lower control arm (not thrust arm #4) took care of the problem on my car. In my case, they did not sell ball joints separately and I needed to replace the whole arm.
The following users liked this post:
Parkl (03-21-2019)
Old 05-11-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes S600
Could also be sway bar links, best bet would be to get the car up in the air and start trying to move things with a pry bar instead of just throwing parts at it. If something feels a little loose with the pry bar, it's going to be very loose with the weight of the car on it. Try to isolate the issue before just replacing things, it'll save you money in the long run. If it happens while turning it could very possibly be something other than ball joints, I remember working on a Saab a while back that had a squeak when turning and it ended up being the spring perch for the coilover. Find the problem before ordering parts.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I have no idea what he's talking about, but Gprime rules. The forum is definitely transitioning from the guys who had cars under warranty to owners who are pretty much on their own. There's always been a handful of mechanically savvy guys, ALX, Quadcammer etc but I have a feeling as time wears on the board is gonna need all the expert help it can get.

Mine and Dave's mechanical expertise begins and ends with telling guys to get a warranty and dump the car before it expires, but obviously there's going to be a lot of out of warranty 221s out there (and in here).
Old 05-11-2016, 10:21 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
About a year and a half of warranty left on my 221. Then sadly, I will dump her. Not sure if it will be for a 222 though. We will have to see how she rolls.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:45 AM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by GPrime2
Could also be sway bar links, best bet would be to get the car up in the air and start trying to move things with a pry bar instead of just throwing parts at it. If something feels a little loose with the pry bar, it's going to be very loose with the weight of the car on it. Try to isolate the issue before just replacing things, it'll save you money in the long run. If it happens while turning it could very possibly be something other than ball joints, I remember working on a Saab a while back that had a squeak when turning and it ended up being the spring perch for the coilover. Find the problem before ordering parts.
Good call; its at the mechanic and he recommended the same thing. Up on the rack and pulling on different items.

I will post the end result.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:34 AM

2007 s550
Originally Posted by bmwcrocop
Good call; its at the mechanic and he recommended the same thing. Up on the rack and pulling on different items.

I will post the end result.
Mechanic has no clue; will start replacing parts starting with number 10/7 too hard to focus the noise.