S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it okay to maintain at local workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz S500 (sports version)
Is it okay to maintain at local workshop

Hi guys,
I own a mercedes s500 2010 and I am really enjoying it. I generally hear people saying that it is better to maintain the car (meaning annual service, oil change, service A and service B) at Mercedes dealership instead of local workshops because local workshops do not know about its advances systems etc. Also when one maintains at local workshops the service history of the car is not updated, thus impacting its resale. I am from Kuwait and generally local workshops are not very good in dealing with complex cars. But maintaining at authorized mercedes is very very expensive.

Any thoughts / suggestions as to what to do?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Mo_Qazi
Hi guys,
I own a mercedes s500 2010 and I am really enjoying it. I generally hear people saying that it is better to maintain the car (meaning annual service, oil change, service A and service B) at Mercedes dealership instead of local workshops because local workshops do not know about its advances systems etc. Also when one maintains at local workshops the service history of the car is not updated, thus impacting its resale. I am from Kuwait and generally local workshops are not very good in dealing with complex cars. But maintaining at authorized mercedes is very very expensive.

Any thoughts / suggestions as to what to do?
You can absolutely have your car serviced at an independent shop. Things like oil changes, filters, brakes, etc are things that don't even require an indy to have STAR/DAS. But many indies do have those systems and have experience doing everything with our cars. You will just need to check around. It can certainly save you money.

Also, many indies report to CarFax. But it's always good to keep a record of all of your receipts. I had every receipt for my car from the day it was new when I purchased it. And the Benz dealer who did most of the service did not report to CarFax. So having all of your receipts is the key.
The following users liked this post:
Mo_Qazi (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Acura TL 2008 - Acura MDX 2012
Originally Posted by DaveW68
You can absolutely have your car serviced at an independent shop. Things like oil changes, filters, brakes, etc are things that don't even require an indy to have STAR/DAS. But many indies do have those systems and have experience doing everything with our cars. You will just need to check around. It can certainly save you money.

Also, many indies report to CarFax. But it's always good to keep a record of all of your receipts. I had every receipt for my car from the day it was new when I purchased it. And the Benz dealer who did most of the service did not report to CarFax. So having all of your receipts is the key.

I thought you bought your used?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by mercedesbenzs55
I thought you bought your used?
Yes....and?