S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

camshaft sensor problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221 2009 s320cdi , w220 2002 s430
camshaft sensor problem

hello everyone,
first- the story:
i own w221 s320 cdi 2009.
original with om642930 engine,
a month ago my engine broke down.
i tried to find the exact 642.930 engine for two weeks and didn't find one.
i did succeed to find om642.836, with 24,000km which came from e350 cdi, and bought it.
my mechanic disassembled my old 930 engine from the car to the ground, with the new 836 engine- side by side.
we saw the differences in the fuel lines, intake, electric harness, fuel pump, oil pan, and the internal oil pump.
with the engines on the ground- we swap over all those components from the original 930 engine.
i also replaced new turbo and coolant radiator.
now the situation is that the engine works fine (when hot). the gearbox combines well with the engine(after reset and adaptation).

now the last problem that i have is:
the engine have a very hard start when its cold - i mean that to get it running i need 4-5 times to let the car running the starter and stop the starter (automatic).

when the engine is hot it will run in the first starter operation but after long try.

when the car starts cold - in the first 3 min: the rpm is rough, after that the engine runs nice and smooth.

now to the computer:
i own a star diagnostic and i have one fault code in the cdi management - that tells me: "camshaft hall sensor - faulty signal"- it current and restore - without lighting me the "check engine" light.

i did a reset for the injectors, i insert the correct injectors codes, i also checked that the pre-start fuel pump is working, and the injectors quantity values are good.

when i'm disconnecting the camshaft sensor - the fault code changes to "camshaft hall sensor - no signal" so the wires are ok.
and i tried to swap the old sensor from my 930 engine - the message "camshaft hall sensor - faulty signal" is displayed also.

for clarification : in the 836 engine the right engine head( -where the sensor located) externally is not identical to the 930 engine. (internally i don't know.)
but the camshaft sensor located in the exact location like the 930.

so tell me guys, these symptoms can be related to the camshaft sensor?
and if so - what do you think can be the the solution?

thanks!!