S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Oil Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S550
Check Engine Oil Light

Hi All,

New member with a question.

I had a check engine oil level light come on approximately 2 months and 2000 miles after I had a Service B performed at a local MB dealership. When I checked, the oil level was below the lowest level on the dipstick. I added one quart of oil and it brought the level the normal level (ie. between the lowest and highest levels).

When I brought it in I had them try to get rid of the annoying creaking and rattling noise my door panels make whenever I go over bumps.

They had my car for 4-5 days. When I picked it up they had driven my car 42 miles, did not fix the creaking noise and told me to bring the car back in when the check engine oil level light is fully on. I was further told that they only checked the dipstick and the level was correct so no other action was taken. The service adviser told me to drive it in with the light on, even if it I have to drive it long distances. Of course he would not give that to me in writing.

I asked the service adviser why they didn't do any more for the engine oil level light. He told me that they need to know the exact amount of oil lost. I told him one quart. He told me that it doesn't work that way. And that they needed to measure it themselves (I suppose they don't trust their customers).

I asked him if they knew how much oil was in my car now then. He told me that they did. I'm thinking BS. I asked him did they drain my car of oil and added a measured correct amount. He said no, they measured it using "instruments." More BS.

So after 42 miles, I still have all the problems I had.

My question is, is the service adviser correct? He told me that the way they are testing for oil loss is the standard way all dealerships would do. It seemed to me to be a lot of BS and no testing.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 S63, 2012 E550, 2005 E55, 2005 SL55, 2013 SL63, 2020 AMG GT, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001 SL500
He is correct. Remember, all cars burn/use oil to some degree. What he is going for is testing consumption. He knows what the level and mileage is now, when the light comes on and you bring it in, they will know the miles traveled and how much oil was consumed. My S63 uses about a quart every 4k miles, my oil cooled 911 uses a quart every 2k miles. Both are considered acceptable consumption rates by the manufacturers. If it falls outside of the acceptable range, they start looking and testing different items ( pcv, rings, valve guides, etc ) to find the consuming source.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
My old E60 M5 used to go through 1 liter around 1200-1500 miles, which was considered normal on that high revving motor. It had a digital read-out to show the oil level and tell you when it was 1 liter low. Amazingly, my bi-turbo V12 hasn't burned a bit of oil. I go about 6k between changes and it is always completely full.