S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Thoughts and advice on my 07 S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts and advice on my 07 S600

Literally, not more than 30 minutes ago I received some bad news from San Diego MB. My beloved 2007 S600 is going to cost 5K to have the cooling lines replaced, as they have to remove the engine to get to them. They said that once the engine is out of the car, to have the main oil seal done, engine mounts and all other seals replaced to not have to deal with this again.

I love this car, best car I have ever had, bar none. However, I do not want/cannot put 5-6K into it right now. I just put on brand new tires too. My god that car rides nice. So quiet. I do not know what to do now with it. Maybe I will sell it really cheap to someone who possibly can repair it themselves. Or if I sold it for say 6-7K, (car has 134K on her but drives like new)and the buyer would repair themselves or had it fixed, it could be a great car as all of the major things have been addressed. Last year I had both coil packs replaced, plugs replaced, and some other things done. So, the car has all the major repairs done recently, except this current problem. Car is beautiful.

Thoughts????
Old 09-27-2016, 04:10 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Price an Indy for the same work. See what needs to get done. Become educated and choices will lend themselves logically. You then will be able to make an informed decision.

If you don't have the 5k to fix it you don't have money for a new car. So... fix this one.

Simple reasoning.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by alx
Price an Indy for the same work. See what needs to get done. Become educated and choices will lend themselves logically. You then will be able to make an informed decision.

If you don't have the 5k to fix it you don't have money for a new car. So... fix this one.

Simple reasoning.
^^ This

I would find a way to pay for the repairs before you ever think about dumping it. The car is worth more in repaired condition than a car needing work plus the cost of repairs. At 134k miles, if your car is in good mechanical condition and looks good, it would have to be worth $15k or more on the private market. The S600 isn't just some run of the mill strippo S550. It is a special and exclusive car that most Benz owners only dream about.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
The thing is, a 221 never has all the major repairs done. You think the thing is done sucking you dry based on the ridiculous money you just spent a month ago but a high mileage 221, especially a 600, is like a newborn. You get done feeding it and three hours later it's hungry again.

Fix the cooling lines. While it does make sense from a labor standpoint to catch a bunch of other stuff while the engine is pulled...if you were keeping the car forever...skip it and just do the lines, button it back up and unload the car. Sounds like it's in good condition cosmetically. It'll sell.

If you love the 221 600 do what Dave did. Ultra low mileage and a killer warranty. Then (and only then) can you really enjoy the car.

Last edited by Mike5215; 09-27-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, do to the good advice of some of the long-term, elite members here, I currently have my S600 in for all repairs. Through the advice of my service advisor while the engine is pulled, I am spending extra money to have ALL lines/seals completely done. He also recommended having the engine mounts and the transmission mount replaced. Also having some other things done under there as long as the engine is out. Basically, I said I want everything that can be done under there, done! I had just put brand new tires on her 2 weeks ago!
So, I am going to be selling my beloved S600 as soon as I get it back. I and my wonderful wife have decided, that at my age, 58, that I/we deserve a little bit of a present and I am going to lease a new one!!!!

Anyway, my car should be a good find and a great car for the right person. I am the second owner, both socal middle aged owners. All dealer maintained. Last year, I had Both Coil Packs replaced, new Spark Plugs, and other things done. Now, with all the major work done to all the seals and lines under the engine/turbos, motor/trans mounts, engine seals and so forth, it should be a great car for someone for many years to come. Car is beautiful. Black on Black. Everything working great with the exception of the right passenger window. I'm spending a lot of money, and if I can get passenger window done reasonably, I will. If not I will disclose it and lower price accordingly. If anyone reading this post wants to buy it, or knows anyone, let me know. Thanks everyone.