S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 s550 rear camera retrofit question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CL500
07 s550 rear camera retrofit question

So I see there's been a million threads on this topic, but I have seen a lot of conflicting information So here's my question..

Can you add rear view camera to comand, just by activating rear view camera option in xentry/das and attaching aftermarket camera feed to pins 7,17 on the rear of comand? I dont care about moving parking assist lines, etc. I just want video when in reverse.

I guess I should add I'm am a former car audio installer who have switched to a different career, so I'm not worried about the technicals of wiring, etc.. just if it would work without extra aftermarket or oem modules..

thanks
Old 10-04-2016, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
you'd be better off just getting the OEM module. last I looked into it, the price wasn't bad.

here's a module on eBay. I'm sure you could even find one cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-MERCEDES-...tWHemL&vxp=mtr
Old 10-04-2016, 10:57 PM

2000 CL500
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
you'd be better off just getting the OEM module. last I looked into it, the price wasn't bad.

but then I would have to use the oem camera as well correct? I Havent checked to see if wiring is there, but if not, that could get a lot more expensive, and complicated compared to just plugging into comand(if possible). I've seen some say it is, and some say it isnt.. I have to figure out how to code the rear camera option in with vediamo or das offline, havent figured it out yet.

If I knew how to program the rear view option I would just test and see if it works
Old 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
it's easy to turn on the rear camera. I think it's in CGW and in Comand modules, you simply set the option to Fitted, rather than Not Fitted. You don't need vediamo for simple changes like that. as far as wiring goes, I think you'd just need an OEM camera and the module. The camera plugs straight into the module. I'm pretty sure all cars should have been prewired for the module. So you plug the module into the car wiring, camera into the module, tell the car in STAR DAS that your car has a rear camera and you're done
Old 10-06-2016, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Contact Midcity Engineering. They sell their own camera (that is 100x better than the stock camera) that hooks directly into Comand. I have a feeling that their camera, wiring, and module is a lot cheaper and simpler to install than going with OEM.

http://www.midcityengineering.com/pr...7-2013-comand/
Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 mercedes w221 s class
You can fit a aftermarket camera get a CCD with night vision then you need an interface which plugs into back of command screen but its plug and play and connect a wire to reverse light to trigger and picture comes up on command screen job done!! interface was £230 camera was £15 and i installed it myself then sold the car so camera became a very good selling point!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
01 ML55 / 97 E320/01 CLK55/ 2010 S550
Originally Posted by marvelouzone
So I see there's been a million threads on this topic, but I have seen a lot of conflicting information So here's my question..

Can you add rear view camera to comand, just by activating rear view camera option in xentry/das and attaching aftermarket camera feed to pins 7,17 on the rear of comand? I dont care about moving parking assist lines, etc. I just want video when in reverse.

I guess I should add I'm am a former car audio installer who have switched to a different career, so I'm not worried about the technicals of wiring, etc.. just if it would work without extra aftermarket or oem modules..

thanks

I did one yesterday but added two video input, one for the back up camera and one for mirror imaging for an iphone to play audio video like youtube full screen. I added a module to go behing the changer and added A/V pins to the plug and had to cut and reconnect can hi and can low wires to the new module. You need a laptop to program the module to the car as while the module is connected to the car, the module as well is connected to your laptop to be programmed via micro USB.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:20 AM

my install of camera used only an interface

When i did my install in my previous s320 cdi all i did was buy interface, it was mainly a plug and play i took power from the power of cig lighter and groundedunder cig lighter the front one under cd changer!! then u plug adapter straight into back of command screen and the cable that used to go to command screen goes into interface no programming coding nothing then install after market camera to rear i put a relay to give camera power only when car in reverse, then connect a wire from reverse light power to reverse camera trigger on interface thats it you dont touch can bus and stuff unless your installing consoles or dvd players if it just a camera your doing you need the interface the relay and a trigger wire from reverse light so interface knows when to send camera picture to command scrren job done no laptop no coding no help you can do it all yourself the neater you do it the longer it will take but the better the result!!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
01 ML55 / 97 E320/01 CLK55/ 2010 S550
Originally Posted by 1975benz
When i did my install in my previous s320 cdi all i did was buy interface, it was mainly a plug and play i took power from the power of cig lighter and groundedunder cig lighter the front one under cd changer!! then u plug adapter straight into back of command screen and the cable that used to go to command screen goes into interface no programming coding nothing then install after market camera to rear i put a relay to give camera power only when car in reverse, then connect a wire from reverse light power to reverse camera trigger on interface thats it you dont touch can bus and stuff unless your installing consoles or dvd players if it just a camera your doing you need the interface the relay and a trigger wire from reverse light so interface knows when to send camera picture to command scrren job done no laptop no coding no help you can do it all yourself the neater you do it the longer it will take but the better the result!!

Your module is just a simple back up camera input. The one I added does multiple A/V inputs and is more flexible with different years of the S550. It adds more to the memo screen and you must go through programming to be able to configure each vehicle. Some S550 don't have video players and rear camera input and some do. Sometimes one may want to add more aux inputs and so on. The module is flexible and programmable. To be able to configure has a much better advantage. For example the module you used would have not worked on the one I was working on. Also plug and play would require adding a T harness and a lot more additional wire contact points vs utilizing the factory harness and slipping in the auxiliary pins for a cleaner less bulky install.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:51 AM

The interface i used can be used on most w221 models upto 2009 and can take upto x4 av inputs and you can use a remote to select which input or a button or you can wire it into the can bus system either way theres no programming at all the interface has dip switches which allow it to work with different model mercedes but its still plug and play apart from power and ground for the interface itself!!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:16 AM

S350l
2006 s350L w221

Hi guys.
I would like to ask how do I trigger the command unit to show backup camera image during reverse?
I had the option on my instrument cluster it have rear view camera option under the assistance menu and I had selected to show when engaged in reverse. And I am using the video 1 signal for my camera which is pin7 and 17 on my command unit.
I had confirm that my camera is working by using video 2 signal which is pin 8 and 18 on my command unit. And it show clear image when I select on video menu sub select navi. Please help. Thanks
Old 04-03-2020, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 645 Posts
S500
need an NTSC camera (common especially in USA) and I think S class higher res than old stuff
it'll be a signal off the can bus that flips the screen (something in the actual box of comand tricks in the dash?) I wonder whats in the engineering menus polar bear discovered recently?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:56 AM

S350l
2006 s350L w221

Thanks botus for your reply.
But does it mean I can't use reverse light to trigger the screen to show up? And using video 1 too?
Old 04-03-2020, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 645 Posts
S500
modern car's don't work like that.... there's a network bouncing general info, rubbish and fault codes round all day long, one is designed to say hey comand wake up you prat its in reverse.... you need to tell the car to look for it... where I have no idea...