S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2007 S320cdi White smoke / Poor fuel economy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
2007 S320cdi White smoke / Poor fuel economy.

Hi Guys,

I've had my S class for about a year now and have noticed from the start there is substantial white smoke on cold starts or when sitting in traffic. The smoke stinks and I can only imagine it is diesel which isn't being burned.

I know from the previous owner that the car had the problem with the inlet port shut off motor, but this was repaired by Mercedes.

The car shows no faults on STAR and doesn't use any oil or water.

I am also struggling to get good fuel consumption, my commute I barely manage 28MPG over 13 miles. This is mostly A roads at 50MPH.

I've just had to replace a brake caliper and control arm, which wasn't cheap either. To make matters worse, now the steering wheel isn't holding straight, so I'll be going back tomorrow to let the garage know.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:14 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Unburnt diesel is black smoke.

White smoke is usually coolant. If you are not losing any i would say it is condensation which is normal.

13 miles commute is very short for you to see good economy. I am surprised you are getting even 28 mpg.

I would say get an alignment and leave the car alone
Old 10-13-2016, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by alx
Unburnt diesel is black smoke.

White smoke is usually coolant. If you are not losing any i would say it is condensation which is normal.

13 miles commute is very short for you to see good economy. I am surprised you are getting even 28 mpg.

I would say get an alignment and leave the car alone
If I could get 28 MPG, I'd be jumping for joy and doing cartwheels. The best I've seen so far is 21 MPG on a 2 hour road trip with about 15 stop lights on the trip, and some slow speed zones going through small towns.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s class 320 cdi 2007
Originally Posted by Sparkzz
Hi Guys,

I've had my S class for about a year now and have noticed from the start there is substantial white smoke on cold starts or when sitting in traffic. The smoke stinks and I can only imagine it is diesel which isn't being burned.

I know from the previous owner that the car had the problem with the inlet port shut off motor, but this was repaired by Mercedes.

The car shows no faults on STAR and doesn't use any oil or water.

I am also struggling to get good fuel consumption, my commute I barely manage 28MPG over 13 miles. This is mostly A roads at 50MPH.

I've just had to replace a brake caliper and control arm, which wasn't cheap either. To make matters worse, now the steering wheel isn't holding straight, so I'll be going back tomorrow to let the garage know.
Hi I have the same year with 68000 on the clock and get the same for my 12mile trip. If you do a couple of 100 miles you will notice it is around 38mpg. Short trips will always give me white smoke.