S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Rear vents blowing cold when front vents blow warm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
Rear vents blowing cold when front vents blow warm?

First off, Happy New Year to everyone! Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year's holiday.

Haven't been to these boards in a while, but now I have a question. When I have the climate control set to a warm temperature like 75F or 77F, there is warm air coming through the front vents. When I reach back to check the air temp coming through the rear center console vent, it blows cold? I don't have the rear climate control option so I thought the warm air from the front would just pass from the front to the back? Can someone tell me what's happening?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,053 Likes on 974 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your settings are for the F and R, therefore you have an issue with the system which is not a DIY---find an indy with good diagnostics and you will have your answer within hours!!

PS: could be the control unit, could be flap issues, could be a valve issue--what is it
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
He doesn't have the rear control option so air from front just gets blown to the back. Now in heating mode the warm air comes from the foot well vents as opposed to the center vents. Center vents are used only for cold air/ air conditioning. However when target temp is "near" rear center vents will blow some cold- ish air to blend in the flow from the foot wells. What I am saying is that it is possible for this to be as designed behavior. If you think this is a problem just close the center vents for the cold season and call it a day. If rear passengers are hot ask them to open center vents as needed. You don't have rear climate control so rear temps are a compromise at best anyway.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
Originally Posted by alx
He doesn't have the rear control option so air from front just gets blown to the back. Now in heating mode the warm air comes from the foot well vents as opposed to the center vents. Center vents are used only for cold air/ air conditioning. However when target temp is "near" rear center vents will blow some cold- ish air to blend in the flow from the foot wells. What I am saying is that it is possible for this to be as designed behavior. If you think this is a problem just close the center vents for the cold season and call it a day. If rear passengers are hot ask them to open center vents as needed. You don't have rear climate control so rear temps are a compromise at best anyway.
Thanks for the helpful info ALX. I'll just leave the rear vents closed now. Interesting you should mention footwell temp. I think I set the footwell temp to be a few degrees below the set temp. I'll check my car when I get back home from business travel. Thank you.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 s550
How do you set the different temps in the footwells? I have an 08 s550. Im not even sure of how to change to just the floor or just the dash
Old 11-02-2022, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 774 Posts
S500
there is a menu that you seldom find

go to middle bottom of the screen - click comand knob - follow menu

footwell temp plus minus 2 clicks either way
also defuse, focus and another - defuse is less noise and more moderate flow from more outlets
air volume - is related to the two auto modes you don't want
1) auto air flow means air vols is distributed around to best match temp set point, take from auto to big or small arrows (as in lots or less air volume) to screen feet face or all three
2) auto fan speed - as in rev it up make a noise and offend most of the time or manual leave it on 3 nudge back to 2 or 4 if u want to waste your time