S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

iPhone Music

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz S550 4Matic
iPhone Music

I know this must have been asked a billion times already but.... I am trying to figure out how to get my iPhone to play music in my 07 S550. I've grown so accustomed to digital music that CDs are a frustration and I'd love to learn how to get the music to play through my phone.

I've called a Mercedes dealer who said I have to go aftermarket. I've googled many things and many things come up yet no one thing has resolved this for me.

-I do not have a USB or AUX port.
-The Bluetooth does not stream music only connects the phone, of course.
-I've read about PCMCIA adapters but can't find a link to the proper one that turns it into a USB port.

Links are helpful!

***Ultimately I would love to know the best way to do this.***

Many thanks.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
The short answer is you're boxed in pretty badly. There was a dealer installed retrofit that gave you Aux In and a 30 pin cable for IPhone/Pad, but it's been out of production for awhile and out of stock thru the MB supply chain. Might find one on EBay. The dealer needs to install and code COMAND to activate it. From there you can add a Tune2Air adapter and get streaming Bluetooth audio.

There is no PMCIA to USB option. There is an adapter that reads SD cards. You can load MP3 ( not AAC) files on the SD.

Best bet, if you have a large local collection of AAC files in iTunes is:

1) On a PC go to: Libraries>Music>ITunes>Itunes Media>Music

1) Copy all of the folders and put them in a new folder on your desktop.

2) Download the free version of Media Monkey.

3) Load the copied AAC files into the Media Monkey library. File>Add Folder. Go to Edit>Select All. Go to Tools>Convert Format.

4)Convert all to MP3. Set the default quality to 320kbs (Insane). Set it to replace the existing file rather than make a copy.

5) Get some blank DVD-R discs. Fill up as many as 6 discs with the MP3s. Load all six into the car's changer.
The following users liked this post:
dlafever (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Mid City Engineering sells their own iPod kit for the S-class. From what I understand, it just plugs into the back of the stereo and you can plug the Tune2Air device right into it and leave it tucked behind the dash or have it stick out of the glove box like OEM. They can also code on Aux so you have access to it. They are in the Chicago suburbs, so if you can get your car out here, they'll install it for $300 all in (price they gave me over the phone about a year ago). I don't think this device shows up on their website, but you can call them to set up shipping to install it yourself or have your favorite authorized stereo shop install. The biggest difference between this and the OEM with the cord hanging out of the glove box is that you have to control all of your music directly from the iPod or your phone. There will not be any music readout on the dash, and I don't believe that you can change songs with the steering wheel controls. But at least it gives you over the air digital BT access to your music.