S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Thinking about getting an '08 S63. Advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Thinking about getting an '08 S63. Advice appreciated.

I came across a 2008 S63 with relatively low miles, 22,000.

Seems nice, clean etc.

What can I expect in terms of repair costs or potential problems?

Is there anything in particular that I should inspect or be aware of?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Sounds like a great car, especially with those ultra low miles. Most of the things that will go wrong are going to be because of age, and not necessarily wear. If you buy it, you'll need to get a warranty for that car. Even though the car is 9 years old, you should be able to get a policy at a decent price since the mileage is so low. Most insurers won't issue a policy on an AMG that old or at a reasonable price, but if you find one that is administered through The Warranty Group, you'll be able to get coverage at a good price.

Where do you live? And do you have any relatives in the Chicago area? If so, you can have a relative sign up with Baxter Credit Union, who in turn can purchase the policy through them after you deposit the policy cost into their account. The warranty is good nationwide. If this is the case, send me a PM and I can hook you up with my contact over there.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:32 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
i would not by the 6.2 n/a motor out of warranty.

they are... problematic. easy to work on, but not for the weak of mind.

not to mention that this motor is ill- mated to the w221 cars dynamics- wise.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by alx

What are the issues with that motor....and why is it ill-mated in the W221 chasis? Is an S65 a better choice...outside of the fact that it has tons more torque and a heluva lot nicer interior?
Old 01-19-2017, 03:42 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
the 65 (or any turbo motor) is what the s-class should come from the factory with. you want docile torque everywhere to match the character of the 3 ton sedan.

the 6.2 motor is peaky, likes to rev, shifts a lot and generally feels weak below 4k rpms where spends most of its time anyway. but it does sound glorious.... which is a pros in the c-class, but in my mind a con in the s-class.

on reliability- the 6.2 motors have assorted top end problems - starting with carbon deposits (very very high rate of deposit), cam shaft wear, valve spring breakage, timing chain issues, you name it. they are really one of a kind motors in the lineup and i do not believe they ever got fully baked in.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Originally Posted by alx

Whats your opinion on a 2008 CLS 63?

I have the opportunity to buy one of these as well with similar mileage ~ 22kmi.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by kensiko
Whats your opinion on a 2008 CLS 63?

I have the opportunity to buy one of these as well with similar mileage ~ 22kmi.
His opinion of the CLS63 is likely exactly the same as the S63. Exact same drive train and many matching components throughout the car.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Sounds like a great car, especially with those ultra low miles. Most of the things that will go wrong are going to be because of age, and not necessarily wear. If you buy it, you'll need to get a warranty for that car. Even though the car is 9 years old, you should be able to get a policy at a decent price since the mileage is so low. Most insurers won't issue a policy on an AMG that old or at a reasonable price, but if you find one that is administered through The Warranty Group, you'll be able to get coverage at a good price.

Where do you live? And do you have any relatives in the Chicago area? If so, you can have a relative sign up with Baxter Credit Union, who in turn can purchase the policy through them after you deposit the policy cost into their account. The warranty is good nationwide. If this is the case, send me a PM and I can hook you up with my contact over there.
I've seen some of your other posts about this topic, and of course, the epic W220 thread. I appreciate your insight. I'll be looking in to Baxter for an extended warranty on my vehicle when the time comes. Currently on a CPO through 2018 and should have no more than 15,000 mile by then.

Thanks again.

And personally, I would love a M156 equipped CL or S63. Aside from the documented head bolt issue with early builds, which this 2008 model would be, it is a very reliable platform - refer to the W204 forum for greater detail.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S63
Im someone that actually uses an S63 as a daily driver, about 25k a year, feel free to ask specifics and I'll answer as best I can.

I disagree with alx above, the M156 has some issues, but it's hardly so problematic that I would avoid it.
The main issues to be aware of art:
Hydraulic lifters, the stock lifters allow oil to drain out a bit too easily change them to the SLS units at some point, or simply use a 5w-40 oil for a temporary fix. You'll recognize the issue because of a ticking sound at startup.
Head bolts, I believe this issue is blown out of proportion, but do your homework. The stock bolts have a weak head design, which can lead to failure of the bolt head. This will result in a coolant leak. The fix is to change the head bolts to the newer revised design, or ARP studs. While failure can occur on stock motors, I believe it is much more of a problem if you are going to mod the engine with a blower.
Cam phaser bolts, look into having them changed out to revised parts.

I haven't heard anything about timing chains being a problem, I'd like to know what that issue is.

In terms of the M156 bring a good match for the S class, it's just fine. The motor wakes up above 3k, but it still had plenty of power through the entire rev range. That said, it's no V12, but it I find it just fine in the W221.

For expenses, plan on doing preventative maintenance, especially regular ABC fluid changes. Brakes are expensive, check out Racing Brake for an aftermarket solution.
Tires, especially rears, last about 15k miles. Gas mileage, don't worry about it, but I average about 14 or 15.