S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

V8 Kompressor engine - Thinking of adding NOS???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
V8 Kompressor engine - Thinking of adding NOS???

Iv been toying lately with the ideas of re-mapping, de-cating, resonator deleting, throttle body enlarging, supercharger pulley upgrading etc etc to get a little bit more oomph out of the old girl.

The old girl being a 2004 S55 AMG Kompressor.

Not saying she's not fast enough in standard form, but just on the odd occasion you just need that little bit more.

Anyways, it occured to me that without having to go through all of the above, what if i was to add a NOS system to the equation instead. Instant power when i need it and normal driving when i dont.
Only looking at adding a 100bhp kit.

Anyone else tried it and think it wasnt all that?
Anyone got any opinions about how well this engine would take to it?

Many thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
I think you better get yourself a S65 and save yourself some headaches.
Mike
Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 AM

S55K AMG
In the last 2 years iv only seen one S65 come up for sale, if that wasnt headache enough then its also 3 times the price of my S55.

I think il stick with the laughing gas.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
nos it..don't worry if motor blow up...there'e alot of v8 kompressor motor out there ..
Old 01-15-2012, 01:16 AM

S55K AMG
Not where i am they're not, its probably just easier and cheaper to go and buy another S55 rather than find the engine for it and swap it over.

Im actually surprised a man of your caliber, or ShangoAshes', hasnt thought about this to be honest.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 AM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by w4sim
Not where i am they're not, its probably just easier and cheaper to go and buy another S55 rather than find the engine for it and swap it over.

Im actually surprised a man of your caliber, or ShangoAshes', hasnt thought about this to be honest.
Well, ShangoAshe has meth injection, the same thing I am looking into right now. NOS is such a volatile thing. I personally would much rather lower my intake and EGT's with meth than run NOS just for a higher combustion. I know NOS lowers temps too, I just don't like the cost of the install for NOS either. Meth you can run the system yourself and put the reservoir in your trunk. However you will need a retune, or a new tune if you don't already have one. Just my $.02
Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Triman2008
Well, ShangoAshe has meth injection, the same thing I am looking into right now. NOS is such a volatile thing. I personally would much rather lower my intake and EGT's with meth than run NOS just for a higher combustion. I know NOS lowers temps too, I just don't like the cost of the install for NOS either. Meth you can run the system yourself and put the reservoir in your trunk. However you will need a retune, or a new tune if you don't already have one. Just my $.02
Thanks very much for your $0.02, very much appreciated.

I thought Meth and NOS would be about on par with installation and running, but if im honest i dont know the first thing about Meth and i dont even really know how it works, whats involved or how to go about getting installed.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM

S55 AMG
Thanks very much for your $0.02, very much appreciated.

I thought Meth and NOS would be about on par with installation and running, but if im honest i dont know the first thing about Meth and i dont even really know how it works, whats involved or how to go about getting installed.
With Meth, you can run a simple rubber/plastic hose fromt he reservoir to the intake with a an fitting at the intake. A simple throttle control switch at which point with want to introduce the meth to your system, and a new tune.

With NOS, you are looking at the bottle, bottle warmers, remote openers, pressure gauges, along with braided lines or stainless hard lines to introduce the product to your system. Then you are looking at how to activate it, a pressure switch or a button for manual injection.

Cost is more for NOS and meth is essentially windshield washer fluid in a 50/50 mix. Most places that sell meth like snow performace is a great place for info. Check it out and read up. That's what I'm doing. Good luck to ya.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55 AMG
Classact

I would like to find out more on this subject.I had the boast kit and headers installed on my 2003 s55 amg.Awesome power.But I want more.
Iv been toying lately with the ideas of re-mapping, de-cating, resonator deleting, throttle body enlarging, supercharger pulley upgrading etc etc to get a little bit more oomph out of the old girl.

The old girl being a 2004 S55 AMG Kompressor.

Not saying she's not fast enough in standard form, but just on the odd occasion you just need that little bit more.

Anyways, it occured to me that without having to go through all of the above, what if i was to add a NOS system to the equation instead. Instant power when i need it and normal driving when i dont.
Only looking at adding a 100bhp kit.

Anyone else tried it and think it wasnt all that?
Anyone got any opinions about how well this engine would take to it?

Many thanks.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by mortonceo
I would like to find out more on this subject.I had the boast kit and headers installed on my 2003 s55 amg.Awesome power.But I want more.
In the end i opted for a smaller supercharger pulley, rear cats deleted, middle boxes removed, x-pipe and a Eurocharged tune by Jerry on a rolling road.

Is it any faster - Yes.

Is it as fast as i want it - No.

I think i would still have liked to go down the NOS route as i think that would have provided a lot more instantaneous power, even if its for smaller bursts.

I was hoping to hear back from Triman2008 on the subject of Meth, dont know if he ever got anywhere with it???
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 PM

2006 S65 AMG W220
It will never be as fast as you want it and someone will always be faster. Enjoy the car, save the money.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM

S55
I have been waiting for the NOS question and almost asked a few times. It would be so nice to be able to add a small shot of NOS... say 100hp. There has to be a kit. Hasn't anyone done it yet? I might have to call NOS or ? and ask. I always had big block Chevelles and it was so easy to add NOS. As long as you kept it sane and didnt use it all the time it was pretty safe.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 PM

S55
I just noticed this thread started in 2012. You mean NO one has installed NOS yet? I'll bet if we look on the E55 board someone has done it.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by 06S65AMG
It will never be as fast as you want it and someone will always be faster. Enjoy the car, save the money.
On the other hand, it could be waaay faster than you could ever want it. Sometimes its not a matter of what you want, but what you can handle, so be careful in what you wish for

Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER S-55
I just noticed this thread started in 2012. You mean NO one has installed NOS yet? I'll bet if we look on the E55 board someone has done it.
The chap i got all my mods done from (cats deleted, supercharger pulley, tune etc etc) owns a Mercedes Independent garage called MSL, he's also on this board under the name of Acid786 i think.

Well over here in the UK at one point he had the fastest E55K Estate, and at the time it had NOS on it, so its definitely possible. I also have had a lengthy chat to a company called Wizards of NOS, who you can imagine know a thing or two about NOS, and they say they can fit 100-150bhp shots on this car with no problems.

The cost between all the above mods and adding NOS were about equal, the only downer with NOS is that it runs out, too quickly for some, and its all visible straight away. Acid told me the ups and downs of NOS and i tried the more conventional tried and tested method of pulley and tune, which is also permanent and doesnt deplete any time soon.

Now that i understand the car better, i think if i am going to keep it i will defo be adding NOS at some point. My next upgrade from the S55 was going to be an S63, and again Acid at MSL has done a Wiestic supercharger conversion on an S63 to make it around 700bhp, but i think il be NOS'ing it though.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55

Lot of people running N20 on these engines but it can be dangerous if you do not have the resources and data info to manage it. A 30ish shot will net you about 100 RWHP on a boosted engine. Safer to add some boost with pulley, tune and headers and also have extra power when you want it.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 PM

S55
Nice info. I'm going to look into it, can't be that hard. You would hardly ever have to use it. Just would be nice for that one time you ran into something super exotic or super fast and you want to add an extra shot of power.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER S-55
Nice info. I'm going to look into it, can't be that hard. You would hardly ever have to use it. Just would be nice for that one time you ran into something super exotic or super fast and you want to add an extra shot of power.
My thoughts EXACTLY on wanting NOS, i would probably never use it more than about 5 times a year, if im lucky. But its knowing the fact that its there incase the crankpot in the hired Gallardo decides to grow a pair.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Safer to add some boost with pulley, tune and headers and also have extra power when you want it.
100% agreed, pulley, headers and tune is far safer and more permanent . . . . . but just not as much fun as NOS.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:00 PM

Mercedes s55 amg
Inter cooler injection

I always wondered about adding some NOS jets to the front heat exchanger that the water for the supercharger goes through. NOS could probably freeze it for a few minutes and that would definitely get the temperature of the supercharger down