S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

PULSATION DAMPENER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Originally Posted by JohanSL
Hi guys

I want to replace my pulse damper but now I'm confused, I understood you just take the old one of, fit the new one in its place and everything will be fine, now I read in this thread that there can get air in the pump??

1) How do I prevent this?
2) How do I release the system pressure before I remove the pulse damper?
I think the original write up was a bit too excessive on the side of Healty and Safety to be honest, i wouldnt worry too much about it.

As i said, its straight off and straight back on again. Then a few raises and drops (about 25 times) and your good to go.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 CLS55AMG & 2005 S55AMG
Same noise/buzz thing on my car and it was the front pulsation dampener. I think the part was around $150 and very easy to replace.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ML320Cdi Off Road Package; 2010 E500 Cab
Thanks for the help Nic, it was just as easy as you said, job done in less than 30 minutes.
It took me a minute to realise I must put the 22mm on the valve body, I was looking for a 22m nut.

I replaced the right front strut with an Arnott unit a few days ago and now the pulse dampener, I have to agree with others that worked on the ABC system it seem to really be an easy DIY. - That is naturally with all the help available on these forums!

Hope I can be of some assistance to someone in future too.
The following users liked this post:
SL55AMGNO (08-31-2020)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
Does anyone know where to get a good thin 24mm wrench for the dampener? I really would like to keep one around. One with along handle would be great. I got my one inch to do the job, it was thin enough but still it was a pain. Prefer a better tool but I could not find one thin enough.
moretech
Old 09-30-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
BMW E31 Dinan Stage 3 TT 625Hp on 93 pump............. 00 BMW E38 750iL.....03 S55 Alabaster white
Just use a strap wrench or chain wrench around the ball......no big deal
Old 03-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s600
Originally Posted by taleb659
My 2002 S55 has been acting up for some time. First it had symptoms of the rear sagging overnight. So I successfully rebuilt the rear valve block and no more sagging. My next problem was a constant LOUD HUMMING noise when driving the car. I knew right away it must be the pulsation dampener.

To determine if your pulsation dampener is faulty is actually very simple. You must first raise the front of the car off the floor. Wait about ten minutes to ensure there is no pressure within ABC system. Take off the plastic covers below the car. The pulsation dampener is located near the right passenger side wheel. If I remember correctly you must use a 24MM wrench to remove the pulsation dampener. It looks like a small black cannon ball. Once the pulsation dampener is removed take a regular sized ink pen and drop it within the ball. If it falls more than half way than your pulsation dampener is faulty.

Once I did this quick test I ordered the dampener, it was about $150.00 and one liter of CHF 11S which is about $20.00. I installed the dampener the same way it came off and filled the ABC reservoir to the proper level. I then loosened the belt and primed the pump.

DO NOT LET YOUR PUMP INGEST AIR! WHEN CHANGING THE DAMPENER AIR WILL BE INTRODUCED INTO THE SYSTEM. SO IF YOUR NOT CONFIDENT AND DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER TOOLS THAN LEAVE IT TO SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS ABC. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW SENSITIVE THIS SYSTEM IS.

After everything was installed I performed a RODEO with my SDS and then changed the filter. GUESS WHAT?? No more humming sound and the ride is quite nicer. I will snap some pics of my faulty dampener and show why it was faulty.
I have an 03 s600 that has similar symptoms...a humming/whining noise that seems to come from under my feet when I drive my car. No noise at idle and seems to to get a little higher pitched when I accelerate. Also tried some I read...drove to about 40mph and put it in neutral and the noise seem to go away. My ride also seems abit stiffer than I expected...have not owned the car very long but not certainly the smooth ride everyone talks about. My question is, does this sound like the dampener you were talking about and were you able to confirm the location by the driver's side wheel? Also would this be the same location for my 2003 S600?

Last edited by Sebmel123; 03-13-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Add symptom
Old 03-14-2018, 05:02 AM

2003 s600
Originally Posted by w4sim
Do you know what a bad wheel bearing sounds like? Its gives a constant humming sound above 20mph which gets progressively louder as you increase speed.

A bad pulsation damper will sound exactly the same but will start making the humming noise as soon as you set off and gets progessively louder with engine revs rather than speed. The best way to tell is to drive your car at 40mph, then put it into neutral and see if the noise drops as the revs drop. If it does, then its your pulsation damper, if it doesnt then its sdomething else. This is assuming your getting the humming noise to start with. Another side effect of a bad pulsation damper is the constant little vibrations under your feet. These should also disappear when rolling the car in neutral.

I did the pulsation damper first on my car and the imporvement in sound and vibrations changed the whole feel of the car. The engine mounts and tranny mount didnt make all too much of a difference, but i think a combination of all 3 things did not help the car at all.

In your case i would suggest changing the engine and tranny mounts first and then see how it goes for you. If you dont see a massive imrpovement then replace the pulsation damper aswell. The pulsation damper wouldnt really give a lot of vibrations of idle anyway, more so when your driving.

Hope thats of some help.
I have an 03 s600 that has similar symptoms...a humming/whining noise that seems to come from under my feet when I drive my car. No noise at idle and seems to to get a little higher pitched when I accelerate. Lastly, ABC light will come on after going over some bumps but will clear itself after starting car again..maybe unrelated. Tried your suggestion...drove to about 40mph and put it in neutral and the noise seem to go away. My ride also seems abit stiffer than I expected...have not owned the car very long but not certainly the smooth ride everyone talks about. My question is, does this sound like the dampener you were talking about and would mine (2003 S600) be located in the same area, as seem to be reading conflicting information?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Sebmel123
I have an 03 s600 that has similar symptoms...a humming/whining noise that seems to come from under my feet when I drive my car. No noise at idle and seems to to get a little higher pitched when I accelerate. Lastly, ABC light will come on after going over some bumps but will clear itself after starting car again..maybe unrelated. Tried your suggestion...drove to about 40mph and put it in neutral and the noise seem to go away. My ride also seems abit stiffer than I expected...have not owned the car very long but not certainly the smooth ride everyone talks about. My question is, does this sound like the dampener you were talking about and would mine (2003 S600) be located in the same area, as seem to be reading conflicting information?
Yep, definitely is the Pulsation Dampner. And yes, its also in the same position as well (on left hand drive cars, its under the passenger side footwell).

Whats the conflicting information your getting?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:20 AM

2003 s600
Yep, definitely is the Pulsation Dampner. And yes, its also in the same position as well (on left hand drive cars, its under the passenger side footwell).

Whats the conflicting information your getting?
Thanks, new at this and still trying to make sense of all the information online on this matter. I appreciate the confirmation and sounds like it would be easy enough to order on eBay and replace. Can anyone who has done this state that it also helped to loosen up the overall ride of the car...mine seems a little stiffer than I have read it should be? Or, is this a different issue usually?
Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Sebmel123
Thanks, new at this and still trying to make sense of all the information online on this matter. I appreciate the confirmation and sounds like it would be easy enough to order on eBay and replace. Can anyone who has done this state that it also helped to loosen up the overall ride of the car...mine seems a little stiffer than I have read it should be? Or, is this a different issue usually?
I can definitely confirm that my ride became a lot softer immediately after the change. Im sure a few others have reported the same.

If you think it hasnt, then theres another 3 of these spheres (cannon *****) you can change as well. But this one is the main culprit.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:45 AM

2003 s600
I can definitely confirm that my ride became a lot softer immediately after the change. Im sure a few others have reported the same.

If you think it hasnt, then theres another 3 of these spheres (cannon *****) you can change as well. But this one is the main culprit.
Thanks, would you happen to have a part number for a 2003 s600 pulsation dampener? Otherwise, I'm sure I can figure it out...just want to get it right the first time.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
Exclamation 2003 sl500 pulsation damper

i don't know how to start a thread so i reply here... i have a 03 mb sl500 here and trying to figure out why the pulsation damper will not stop ticking/clicking once fluid has warmed up we have replaced it about 4-5 time now and same results each time

Last edited by carsofdistinct; 08-21-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S65 AMG
Same problem on W221 S65 AMG?

Hey guys. So I have this very annoying whining noise that can be heard inside the cabin after the engine warms up (there is no whining sound when the engine is cold, no matter the rpm). I’ve noticed that the sound starts appearing at about 2.000 rpm and kind of increases all the way to 4.000 rpm, whether I accelerate more aggressively or constantly (after that it disappears again).
Could this be a bad pulsation dampener on the ABC suspension? Again, it only makes this whining noise when the engine is warm.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 453 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
Alex you likely have a dead dampener that threads into the Duo-pump.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (08-31-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 ML350
For the W221 do you have to raise the car off the ground to replace the dampener that's on the pump itself? Also, how much fluid is lost and will you get air into the system replacing this? I'd like to do it myself but don't want to screw anything up.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Renntech6509
For the W221 do you have to raise the car off the ground to replace the dampener that's on the pump itself? Also, how much fluid is lost and will you get air into the system replacing this? I'd like to do it myself but don't want to screw anything up.
It can be done with the car on the ground but I'm not sure about the removal process, if you have enough clearance. Virtually no fluid is lost. I do recommend cleaning around the contact area before removing the old one to prevent dust from getting into the pump.