S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Steering Wheel Shimmy / Vibrations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Shimmy / Vibrations

I've had my 2011 S63 for about 6 months now, had 13K miles on it when I bought it. I now have almost 20K miles on it. Tires were new, wheels are stock, but at least one looks refurbished. Since day one, at varying speeds on the Fwy (usually around 53-57MPH and again at around 63-67MPH) I get a gentle, but persistent shimmy in my steering wheel. If you rest your hands lightly on the wheel, you can feel that there is an issue, even though it's too mild to be rock the steering wheel while you are holding onto it normally.

I've read other, similar complaints on other W221 vehicles, and they all sound very similar to my issue. I've had the tires balanced 4 times, twice were road matched, one time was on a $25K wheel balancing machine from Germany (apparently) but the problem remains. Had both front wheels sent out for "slight" bend repair. When putting them on a wheel balancer and watching them spin now, they look quite stable to the naked eye and are balanced perfectly. Yet the problem remains!

We put the car on the rack to inspect the underside. I'm told my suspension appears to be fine. The rubber bushings appear to be fine. I've also heard NOT to upgrade the bushings because it worsens the issue...?? My tires are continentals. I believe those were the stock tires that delivered on this car as well, but not completely certain of that. I've also read on here that, new tires can eliminate the problem, but only temporarily... it comes back!

I intend to get to the bottom of this, because it bothers me. The last threads I read on this are a year or more old... some guys on here were blaming the electric drive steering system and were essentially saying there is nothing that can be done about this. I'm hopeful for some better input, I certainly would appreciate it greatly.

Respectfully,

Jeff
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
My 2011 S63 rode nice and smooth with the tires that came on the car when I bought it used. But the tires themselves were too slippery, so I replaced them with some Pirelli winter tires. One of the tires was out-of-round, but even after replacing that one, I still had a shimmy similar to yours. When another of the front tires blew out when I hit a pothole, the new tire reduces the shimmy a lot (about 50%). The dealer says that's the nature of winter tires, which I don't buy. I'm getting summer tires on the car next week and I'm hoping it goes back to a smooth ride.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
Originally Posted by yorkey
I've had my 2011 S63 for about 6 months now, had 13K miles on it when I bought it. I now have almost 20K miles on it. Tires were new, wheels are stock, but at least one looks refurbished. Since day one, at varying speeds on the Fwy (usually around 53-57MPH and again at around 63-67MPH) I get a gentle, but persistent shimmy in my steering wheel. If you rest your hands lightly on the wheel, you can feel that there is an issue, even though it's too mild to be rock the steering wheel while you are holding onto it normally.

I've read other, similar complaints on other W221 vehicles, and they all sound very similar to my issue. I've had the tires balanced 4 times, twice were road matched, one time was on a $25K wheel balancing machine from Germany (apparently) but the problem remains. Had both front wheels sent out for "slight" bend repair. When putting them on a wheel balancer and watching them spin now, they look quite stable to the naked eye and are balanced perfectly. Yet the problem remains!

We put the car on the rack to inspect the underside. I'm told my suspension appears to be fine. The rubber bushings appear to be fine. I've also heard NOT to upgrade the bushings because it worsens the issue...?? My tires are continentals. I believe those were the stock tires that delivered on this car as well, but not completely certain of that. I've also read on here that, new tires can eliminate the problem, but only temporarily... it comes back!

I intend to get to the bottom of this, because it bothers me. The last threads I read on this are a year or more old... some guys on here were blaming the electric drive steering system and were essentially saying there is nothing that can be done about this. I'm hopeful for some better input, I certainly would appreciate it greatly.

Respectfully,

Jeff

I have the same problem. New rims + tires = vibration. Can't find a defect on the road force balance machine. Another set of oem 19s = no vibration.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
I replaced my Pirelli Winter Sotto snow tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 last week, and all vibration that I had at freeway speeds with the Pirellis are now gone. Car runs smooth at all speeds. I highly recommend the Michelins.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
jbattan - I hear you. I just don't like the performance of all season tires. I love the pilot super sports I have on my m3 and my winter tires are much better in snow than any all season.