S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Buy or simply walk away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 W210 E Klasse | 02 W 463 G-Wagen | 06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Buy or simply walk away

Looking for some input on my situation from fellow owners of the S55. I have a 2003 S55 FS in my area, the car has 140K miles. It looks clean, and I will obviously have a detailed pre-purchase inspection done at the dealer prior to making a purchase. Is the 2003 S55 with 140k miles worth considering if it checks out clean and only requires some of the usual maintenance items that come with age and wear? It will start as a daily driver for me, but in a matter of months will be a second car and not driven daily with around 6-7K miles per year. I have previously owned W210’s and would not hesitate buying one with 140K miles, but asking about this 03 S55 as I am not familiar with model, engine etc.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
S55 with 140K as a daily = no way

Buy the second car first and then the S55 as a weekend car.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Many thanks Shardul. We just moved back from England so my other vehicle being a LR Defender is being shipped over and should be here in a month. I will search and see if I can find any other S55's close to me or on the forum. Always been a dream car so when I saw this one it peeked my interest.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
S55 with 140K as a daily = no way
Why not???

My 2004 S55 is at 150k and used as a daily driver, no problems what so ever.

At the time of me buying one another one sold that had 180k on the clock and that was also being used as a daily driver. What do you think 140k is going to do to it that 40k didnt, apart from maintenance items?

Well looked after and these cars are bullet proof.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
With a 140K, not knowing what all the car has been thorugh, the odds are not in your favor of having a daily driver that will not need any attention. If you can not risk any down time, then get the second car first.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Many thanks for your input. I am going to check out this car. If I like it, will have it checked at the dealership in detail. I can pay cash for it and will have cash set aside if the ABC crashes.

I dp appreciate everyones input, hopefully I will like it and perhaps the ABC issue has been sorted on this car.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
With a 140K, not knowing what all the car has been thorugh, the odds are not in your favor of having a daily driver that will not need any attention. If you can not risk any down time, then get the second car first.
Originally Posted by Britrover
I dp appreciate everyones input, hopefully I will like it and perhaps the ABC issue has been sorted on this car.
Iv personally seen some 50k cars that are in worse state than 150k cars, but you'll never know what it truly been through.

I would suggest you go and have a look at the car in person, check it thoroughly and take it for a nice long drive. Thats the only way your telling what kind of a state that car is in. If most of the 140k has been motorway/highway miles then i would not worry one bit about it.

Oh yeah, despite it having a notorious reputation to make grown men cry, the ABC is not all too bad to be honest.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by w4sim
Why not???

My 2004 S55 is at 150k and used as a daily driver, no problems what so ever.

At the time of me buying one another one sold that had 180k on the clock and that was also being used as a daily driver. What do you think 140k is going to do to it that 40k didnt, apart from maintenance items?

Well looked after and these cars are bullet proof.
no problems whatsoever, huh:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...uite-soft.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...-dipstick.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...come-back.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...nly-white.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...y-failure.html

thats not including your vibration issue.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 PM

S55K AMG
Unless you seem to have some kinda of an issue with English then i believe my post also says "apart from maintenance items" . . . . . . . and all your fine chosen examples turned out to be nothing but maintenance items which have cost me very little to resolve (mainly because of the kind of help from these forums).

Also, theres nothing wrong with my car now, including the vibration issues, which have not been reported on cars with less than half the mileage.

The whole point im trying to make is that 140k is absolutely nothing for one of these cars, i dont know why people get put off with big numbers, were not in the 80's anymore.

But like i also said, your only going to find out what that particular car is like on the day you see and drive it, might feel a whole load more tighter than a car with just 50k on it.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 PM

w4sim - many thanks for your input. We just moved back from Worcestershire and had a great time living in the English countryside. I could not see the car today, but still pursuing it or will search for another S55.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Britrover
w4sim - many thanks for your input. We just moved back from Worcestershire and had a great time living in the English countryside. I could not see the car today, but still pursuing it or will search for another S55.
ahh Worcestershire, a lovely part of Britain that is. I myself am from Leeds/Bradford in West Yorkshire, not as exciting as Worcestershire im afraid.

My current car was actually the 2nd S55 i went to see before purchasing. The first one had less mileage on it but felt very "loose" if you know what i mean. There was a certain lack of feel from the car and it just didnt sit right with me, nearly put me off the whole S55 idea to be honest as i thought they might all be like that. This one however, changed my mind.

And you dont have to buy the first one you see, have a look at a few if you want. But if the price is right, and its going to be a daily driver, then dont be put off by the mileage.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:57 AM

'02 S55KL AMG
Agreed with Wasim, had a look at one that had 80K on the clock and felt shagged. I went for the 4th one i went to view which had 107K on the clock but felt tight as a nut with general maintainance carried out (inc ABC pump and gear shifter). Splashed the cash and got it home, its been fine since.

Dont be put off by the mileage, if you get it checked out and it seems ok then go for it.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by HarpreetSingh.
Agreed with Wasim, had a look at one that had 80K on the clock and felt shagged. I went for the 4th one i went to view which had 107K on the clock but felt tight as a nut with general maintainance carried out (inc ABC pump and gear shifter). Splashed the cash and got it home, its been fine since.

Dont be put off by the mileage, if you get it checked out and it seems ok then go for it.

Yeah mine was the 2nd one i saw, but had 112k on it at the time.

Seemed like a pretty good car, splashed the cash, got it home and have enjoyed it ever since. MOST of the work on it iv been able to do myself so to me these cars dont seem to be a massive money pit either, its worked out to be about as difficult to maintain as a normal family saloon.

Harpreet, where abouts are you from? Iv yet to see another S55 on the roads.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:59 AM

'02 S55KL AMG
Originally Posted by w4sim
Yeah mine was the 2nd one i saw, but had 112k on it at the time.

Seemed like a pretty good car, splashed the cash, got it home and have enjoyed it ever since. MOST of the work on it iv been able to do myself so to me these cars dont seem to be a massive money pit either, its worked out to be about as difficult to maintain as a normal family saloon.

Harpreet, where abouts are you from? Iv yet to see another S55 on the roads.
Thats quite fortunate, luckily for me ive got to know the Dealers and local indy quite well so i know that when something needs doing im not stuck with who to go with!

Im from Leicestershire, East Midlands...! Only seen another S55KL and that was in Leicester, Obsidian Black on an 04 plate...!! I can imagine yours to be quite the head turner around West Yorkshire
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by HarpreetSingh.
Only seen another S55KL and that was in Leicester, Obsidian Black on an 04 plate...!! I can imagine yours to be quite the head turner around West Yorkshire
Mines an 04 plate, Obsidian Black S55KL . . . . . might have been me you saw

Most of the people around here have C63's, but mine turns heads for its own reason. Sheer size of it and the sound it produces might have something to do with it though.