S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 Smart Key Not Working in Ignition and Won't Open/Close Doors-New Batteries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:37 PM
wls

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
S55 Smart Key Not Working in Ignition and Won't Open/Close Doors-New Batteries

Smart key does not work in ignition and will not open or close the doors, put new batteries in it twice. Drove it on Sunday (no problems stopped twice), and my daughter went to drive it on Tuesday and the key did not work in the ignition to start the car. The key opened the door, then would not start the car. Would a bad battery cause this and not a bad key? The radio works and lights come on but just a hunch. Please help if you can, thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
The smart key works on induction pick up, does not need batteries to start the vehicle. The batteries are used for keyless go and central locking. Have seen key's damaged when people have replaced batteries. Board inside the key is very fragile.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 S55KL AMG
Its funny you should post this, i had exactly the same problem earlier this year. I had MB come to my house, and ended up towing to the dealer. This happened coincidentally after they replaced the battery in my keyless go card because it said it needed replacing on the dash.

Anyhow, they said they needed to charge a diagnostic fee but got so pissed at them, i demanded they sort it out because it was since they did the key and half hour later i get a call from them saying "everythings fine as it should be" and they "couldnt see what the problem was"

goes without saying i ended up buying an actual key instead so i could isolate the problem in future...