S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

A/C compresor removal on a S55

Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
A/C compresor removal on a S55

So today all the sudden my a/c starting making a bad bad noise on my 2003 S55. So I looked and the a/c clutch had fallen apart. Has anyone out there fixed this before? I have no idea how to get the compressor out of this car. It looks like the ABC pump comes out first. That may be the death of me right there. I did that pump myself once before and do not want to do it again.
The funny thing is I was just about to give this car to my Dad so I can start my search for a 2007/2008 S65. Better that it happened to me than the old pops I guess.
Thanks for any help.
Johan
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Your just gona absolutely love this job

Iv just had to do this for the second time in as many months and i must admit that its become easier the second time, but still no more fun to do.

You'll be glad to hear that you dont have to remove the ABC pump, but all im gona say for now is that if you have any other bits and bobs to do around the engine (or the whole front end of the car for that matter) . . . . . NOW is a very good time to do them and get them out of the way.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM

S55K AMG
Heres the little blighter missing from where its supposed to be. You can see the tensioner pulley in the middle of the pic, and the ABC pump to the right of it, the compressor is supposed to be just below and between these 2.

A/C compresor removal on a S55-20140811_193748_zpsd1c3f6a6.jpg

Last edited by w4sim; 08-11-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM

S55K AMG
And heres how we got to it . . . . .

A/C compresor removal on a S55-20140811_193658_zpsa270b260.jpg
Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM

Well today I dug in and started this mean process. Jumping in blind pretty much. Like I said earlier I have done the ABC pump once myself and that also sucked. Well after many hours we got that stupid A/C compressor out. I will admit the car almost beat me many many times but it is out now. The new one is on the way and then I get to try and stuff it back in.
I didn't pull the nose off I just pulled out the radiator fan and loosened up the ABC pump and with lots of swearing and screaming it came out. Thankfully my dad helped me out. Even at 72 he still digs in and wrenches.
I can't imagine having to do this on the V12TT but I will still get one hopefully very soon. I was just about to give this S55 to my Dad but then the A/C compressor clutch exploded that same day. Luckily it happened to me and not him.
Thanks for the input and good luck.
BTW why did you have to do this twice now?
Johan
Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by w4sim
Your just gona absolutely love this job

Iv just had to do this for the second time in as many months and i must admit that its become easier the second time, but still no more fun to do.

You'll be glad to hear that you dont have to remove the ABC pump, but all im gona say for now is that if you have any other bits and bobs to do around the engine (or the whole front end of the car for that matter) . . . . . NOW is a very good time to do them and get them out of the way.
How did you refill the freon juice?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM

S55K AMG
Fitted the new pump about 2 months ago, which was brand new Denso pump, but didnt get it filled up straight away. Had it regassed last week only for the pump not to kick in . . . . . only to find that the nose of the new pump had blown off and siezed the pump!!!

Right now its been removed and it does seem to have oil inside it so not quite sure why it failed, so thats going back.

But unless iv got something wrong, or something i missed out when installing the new pump, i think the pump must have been faulty. But your best finding out if theres anything you need to add to it before installing it unless you fancy having yours seize aswell.

For the gas i just took it to a garage that does AC gas, they filled the system up and found that the pump would not spin. If your a little technical minded you can get the bottles that you refill the system with yourself, but i wouldnt do that once the system has been opened up like this.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 PM

S55K AMG
Oh yeah, while your at it, change the drier aswell. Its the metal cylinder thats just to the right of the ABC pump.

Very important piece of kit for the AC system, and most companys will void the warranty on your compressor if the drier is not changed at the same time.

Im now changing the compressor, drier, condenser and pipe seals as well whilst its all off again.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
It is my understanding that the AC compressor runs all the time on an AMG, when you changed out to the new one you should have recharged right away.
New Denso AC compressors have only assembly oil in them so when you reinstall the next one evacuate the system and you must add the required oil into the system as well as the Freon.
Replaced the comp on my E63 last year, no noise but seized and the 8mm hex nut on the front of the comp could not be turned, seized solid but the belt continues to turn as if the clutch was working, strange, but a new denso and dryer fixed it.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:31 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
Replaced the comp on my E63 last year, no noise but seized and the 8mm hex nut on the front of the comp could not be turned, seized solid but the belt continues to turn as if the clutch was working, strange, but a new denso and dryer fixed it.
This time im going to get it charged up straight away, although i have put in enough oil in the compressor to start with.

But mine also seized like yours, the pulley would turn with the car but the hex nut in the middle is seized solid. So im guessing with the hex nut seized solid this pump is now really only good for scrap??? Theres no way to un-seize it?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Yes no way that I found, broke several 8mm socket trying, but it makes a nice paper weight or door stopper LOL.
When I did the compressor 2 years ago or actually I think it is 3 years of trouble free driving after the change. I immediately had the system evacuated to check for leaks and then my buddy added the proper amount of oil and the Freon, AC did not work had to go to a Indy shop my friend recommended, there the guy came out hooked up to the OBD port and reset I assume the AC, fired right up and had been coooool ever since.
Just for information my compressor never made any weird noises or gave me issue, worked fine in Alabama then ran for 1300 miles straight back home, used the car for another week when we got back and then left for 6 weeks again. when we returned "no AC" that led to the diagnosis of the seized AC compressor.

4 hours in the driveway, AC comp came out the top between the pwer steering pump and the rad, removed fan and shroud and the lower panels to access, very tight but doable, car was clean around underneath so that made it not so bad. When I seen the pic of the car with the front end removed, Oh Boy I think I got lucky.

Last edited by Critter; 08-13-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Does anyone know how much r134a the system needs and the PAG oil is it?
Johan
Old 08-13-2014, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Should be a decal under the hood that will give you the amount of Freon and oil.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
Does anyone know how much r134a the system needs and the PAG oil is it?
Johan

PAG oil 46 is the one for these cars. The whole system takes 250ml, but only half of that goes in the compressor before you install it, the rest is to be injected in with the gas.

As for quantity of gas, thats written on a label under the hood. Mine is just behind the drivers side strut.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 PM

PAG oil 46 is the one for these cars. The whole system takes 250ml, but only half of that goes in the compressor before you install it, the rest is to be injected in with the gas.

As for quantity of gas, thats written on a label under the hood. Mine is just behind the drivers side strut.
For the life of me I can't find that sticker under the hood.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:09 PM

S55K AMG
This is the label on my car, show it to your AC guy and he should be able to figure it out from there as its the same car.

A/C compresor removal on a S55-20140811_194019_zps413f5b11.jpg
Old 08-16-2014, 06:13 AM

Thank you very much for the picture.
Johan
Old 08-16-2014, 12:15 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
Thank you very much for the picture.
Johan
No problem, glad i could help.

But just a quick question for yourself, how did you loosen the ABC pump to get it out of the way???

I cant seem to figure out where all the nuts are that hold the ABC pump on. I dont want to completely remove it, just enough so that the compressor can come out?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 03:33 PM

No problem, glad i could help.

But just a quick question for yourself, how did you loosen the ABC pump to get it out of the way???

I cant seem to figure out where all the nuts are that hold the ABC pump on. I dont want to completely remove it, just enough so that the compressor can come out?

Thanks
You are missing the one bolt that is on the back side of the pump. You can't see it but you can feel it. there are a total of three holding it in place.
Good luck. Looks like we are both in the same boat here.
I also agree about the no clutch on the a/c compressor. My old pump the entire front of the pulley exploded and fell apart. But I was able to spin the new pump and noticed it does not have a "clutch", weird huh.
Johan
Old 08-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Well today I finished the job from start to finish. It all works great once again.
Thanks again for the help you guys gave me out there.
I even went ahead and bought all the guages, hoses, and vacuum pump and did it all myself. Not bad at all really. Bought all the stuff on Amazon including the a/c compressor.
So with buying all the stuff:
a/c compressor
R134a
oil
guages and hoses
evacuation pump
and any misc tools needed
I spent less than $400. Not bad I guess.
The trick at the end is you need to reset the climate control to get the pump started.
Johan
Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc S55 AMG Kompressor 2003 & S320 1999
Aircon Gas & Oil

The 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG compressor Aircon Compressor requires 120 Ml of oil and 1200Gr of R134a gas. That is for a dual system with and aircon control panel for the back seats.
I am reading this tread with great interest, as mine just packed up. I am missing that bit about permanent turning but also NOT. I understood that if it seizes the rubber nobbies (3 sets of two connected round rubbers) in the clutch simply shear off. (Or the belt simply burns off). Then the pulley turns but the inner part doesn't. I have not looked carefully or that famous 8 mm nut stand still while the pulley runs, will check tonight. By the way, what do you guys pay for a new one. I South Africa most likely we pay more that for the whole car Ha, Ha. I try mine to have "Overhauled" (Service exchange)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:39 AM

Merc S55 AMG Kompressor 2003 & S320 1999
[QUOTE=Flydutch;6811768]The 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG compressor Aircon Compressor requires 120 Ml of oil and 1200Gr of R134a gas. That is for a dual system with and aircon control panel for the back seats.
I am reading this tread with great interest, as mine just packed up. I am missing that bit about permanent turning but also NOT. I understood that if it seizes the rubber nobbies (3 sets of two connected round rubbers) in the clutch simply shear off. (Or the belt simply burns off). Then the pulley turns but the inner part doesn't. I have not looked carefully or that famous 8 mm nut stand still while the pulley runs, will check tonight. By the way, what do you guys pay for a new one. I South Africa most likely we pay more that for the whole car Ha, Ha. I try mine to have "Overhauled" (Service exchange)

Hi there again. My continuing story. I had a bit of oil and 300 gr gas plus some di put in and straight away id blew it out (detected the di all over but could not really see where it was leaking. I have noted though that the nut on the front turns with the pulley and I understood if the compressor is seized that bolt should not turn. Could that indicate that perhaps merely a seal on one of the seals on the HP hose is blown? I really kindly ask for some guidance here as I do not want to strip out belts and ABC/Power steering combination pumps followed by stripping out the AC Compressor to find out it is a hose seal only.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:48 PM

2003 s55
Just to clarify the front does not have to all come apart from what I read above. Just radiator fan and shroud correct? I think mine is leaking, I hope its just an o-ring on one of the lines but already prepping for the worst.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by hegar817
Just to clarify the front does not have to all come apart from what I read above. Just radiator fan and shroud correct? I think mine is leaking, I hope its just an o-ring on one of the lines but already prepping for the worst.

Thanks
I was able to do the job without taking apart the front end, so yes is the answer to your question. It was still one of the worst jobs I have ever done.
Good luck.
Johan
Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 AM

S55K AMG
Front end does NOT have to come off, but it does help a great deal in the long run.