S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

new s55 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s55 amg
Cool new s55 owner

just bought a 2003 s55. Looking to make some upgrades to my car. any suggestions:
1. body work
2. engine
3. lighting
4. suspension (my left rear shock is leaking) wanted to know how should i go about this, go with arnott remanufactued or better of OEM
5. ETC. Open to any ideas on how to make this car break necks in anyway
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Depends on your wallet.

I would suggest skipping all the dolled up body kits. Stock is cool on these cars.

Engine will probably need supercharger oil changed, belts changed, maybe tensioner/pulleys.

Lighting: there is a factory lighted sill plate option that says AMG. Swaps in. The factory OE Hid lights work well.

Would you do the suspension work yourself? I found new strut unit from an online MB parts seller for discounted to sub $1.4k. Versus list price $1.7k, versus Arnott's remanufactured for $750ish? What's your tolerance for paying for new versus a reman unit with a warranty. (I've used Arnott for a different vehicle with air shocks and they are pretty good with honoring their warranty).

Your transmission and ABC systems will both break down at least once in 5 years. Plan for avoiding/preventing/paying for that. Fluid and filter changes are key.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Originally Posted by GrepAwk
I would suggest skipping all the dolled up body kits. Stock is cool on these cars.
+1000, keep it classy and enjoy your new car!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Arnott Rear Sturts for S55

Originally Posted by s55sleeper
just bought a 2003 s55. Looking to make some upgrades to my car. any suggestions:
4. suspension (my left rear shock is leaking) wanted to know how should i go about this, go with arnott remanufactued or better of OEM
5. ETC. Open to any ideas on how to make this car break necks in anyway

Sorry to hear about your air suspension problems. Is that left rear for your AMG an Airmatic or Active Body Control (ABC)?

If Airmatic Arnott has both a Remanufactured unit AS-2194 for $458.85 (Plus a $200 Core deposit) and a NEW Arnott designed unit AS-2606 for $579.52 which currently (Aug 2014 but subject to change) includes a $75 rebate if you return your core to us (Pre-Paid shipping label included).

The ABC Left Rear Strut SK-2461 is $628.95 plus a $300 Core Deposit. We engineered it to use a polyurethane seal to replace the OE rubber one which should last for many years.

Forum members can also get another 10% off up to $75 by using code MBSAVE10 when you place your order with Arnott (online or via phone). Does not include shipping, core or taxes if any.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Doug: '03 S55 AMG use hydraulic ABC system.

Hydraulic ABC was the highly touted standard suspension for the S55 AMG that year, in addition to the new supercharger "kompressor".

Also, hopefully you guys already have checked on this but....a good thing for Arnott to go find out is whether that poly O-ring is compatible with the Pentosin CHF11S synthetic hydraulic fluid. There are several types on natural rubber and synthetic rubber o-ring materials that will shrink/swell or become brittle in the presence of CHF11S.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
Abc rebuild for leak will eat up all the bucks. Need to flush system, get newer updated pump, and valve blocks. Otherwise car needs nothing to look good.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:15 PM

2003 s55 amg
thank you so much for the help guys. i actually went with arnott and the rear suspension is flawless. i don't feel anything in the rear. but as they say when u fix something on ur car next thing breaks. I'm hearing a squeak on my right ABC strut and i checked it out, no leak but the rubber is ripped. every time i hit a pot hole the car jumps bad. most likely going to change those too. Also when i drive i hear a rattle on my right side underneath the dash. idk if maybe their's something loose or what not. have to also get that checked out. and when i drive and want to punch it, the car lags for like 3 seconds and then it manages to pick up speed. idk if its the transmission or my supercharger. idk guys I'm very picky when it comes to cars and with this car the little things bother me the most and i tend to fix everything i find wrong with the car but the costs are ridiculous any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by s55sleeper
thank you so much for the help guys. i actually went with arnott and the rear suspension is flawless. i don't feel anything in the rear. but as they say when u fix something on ur car next thing breaks. I'm hearing a squeak on my right ABC strut and i checked it out, no leak but the rubber is ripped. every time i hit a pot hole the car jumps bad. most likely going to change those too. Also when i drive i hear a rattle on my right side underneath the dash. idk if maybe their's something loose or what not. have to also get that checked out. and when i drive and want to punch it, the car lags for like 3 seconds and then it manages to pick up speed. idk if its the transmission or my supercharger. idk guys I'm very picky when it comes to cars and with this car the little things bother me the most and i tend to fix everything i find wrong with the car but the costs are ridiculous any thoughts?
Nuthin more expensive than a cheap mercedes. Especially one with ABC. How many miles on the vehicle? Do you have service records and has the pump been replaced? I find once the parts in the system start breaking down, you commonly lose more than one strut. If you don't have deep pockets or do it yourself skills it can be an expensive vehicle to get "right." The E55 guys are very active and if you search that side of the forum you will likely find answers to address your supercharger lag questions.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM

S65 AMG
Fix your ABC issue and enjoy the car as is, she is a beauty and a very capable performer.