S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Payed to much for repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes s55 amg
Payed to much for repair?

i have been having problems with my S55, when I get on it hard I get this rotten egg smell so I thought it was the catalytic converters ! I went to the dealership and was told it was a supercharger issue($7800). Also the engine light was coming on for Secondary air injection! I decided on a second opinion and went to an independent Mercedes tech! He told me it was the catalytic converter and that the engine was clogged from not changing the oil( I change the oil every 1500 with mobile 1) and that's why the light is coming on! $2150.00 later and it's fixed, left the shop and in 5 miles CHECK ENGINE comes on! I call the shop and the tell me it's just a false code! I come home and drive car up on ramps and see that he just cut the cats off and welded after market in their place( after telling me cats cost $1600 then a day later $1750). Then I removed the secondary air injection and find out the electric motor is shot( plastic holding the brushes has melted and brushes gone) I also paid $400 for labor when I picked it up! What can be done to get back my money or is that price right, because for $1750 I should have gotten more than aftermarket rear cats?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65 AMG
Did your Independent Shop quote you an OEM Cat or after market? If they promised OEM and installed after market then you can demand a refund on the cost difference.

So is the car fixed or still getting CEL?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:05 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
The rear cats will not set a code, as they are after the front and rear 02 sensors, so must be the air injection causing the issues. Many of us just remove the rear cats and there are a lot of aftermarket cats that cost 100 dollars or so. So, sounds like the shop was not very fair and all codes should have been cleared before you left.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes s55 amg
tttt

He only said they were expensive so I assumed the would be oem. I paid $1750 for the cats. After I picked the car up 3 weeks later I was told that the engine has sludge in it and that's why the Secondary air injection code is there. When I got the car home I did some research and found out where the secondary air injection is located and removed it, dismantled it, I had found that the motor is shot. I also gave $400 for labor when I picked the car up.
Attached Thumbnails Payed to much for repair?-img_3666.jpg