S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Is my front left SAM dead? No connection to certain ECUs

Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Is my front left SAM dead? No connection to certain ECUs

Hi,
i am an owner of the Mercedes Star Diagnosis. Well and from time to time i check my cars for fault codes and sometime i did the rodeo test in my yard for the amusement of my family and neighbors.
So far for the preface.

Some months ago, as i was upgrading my IC Pump the the CWA-100, i looked for the correct relay and fuse to measure current and stuff and to upgrade the fuse from 10A to 15A. Well so i openend the front left SAM (driver side, close to windshield) where also the ABC ECU is housed and could not find the correct relay (later on after consulting the MB WIS i did). So i attempted to close the SAMs cover again and i had much trouble to fiddle the cover back in. I always seems to have jammed with the top cables of the ECUs harnesses.
Anyway since that day i have no connection to the Chassis CAN-Bus ECUs anymore.
Its the ABC-ECU, the "gearshift-lever ECU" and some other(s) i forgot - ESP ECU also IIRC.
Star Diagnosis brings the following error message out of DAS (free translated to english from german):
"Error (1.3)-3.515.2005"
Error during initialization.
No connection could be established between the diagnosis gateway and the ECU. Possible causes:
The voltage supply for that ECU is not ok
The ECU is not part of the options of that car and could therefor not be included
What i attempted to solve this, is that i removed all connections from the ECUs, pulled all relays and fuses and stuff to be found there in that SAM box, pushed it all back in again. With the result that nothing happened.

What is the connection between the Diagnosis Gateway and the ABC and others ECU? Any idea what to check out for?
ABC works, ESP works, Selected gears are recognized by other ECUs, no other fault code in the system - car runs great.