S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 amg gear problem (2003)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55
S55 amg gear problem (2003)

When I set off in the car it changes gear normally from 1st to second at low revs and then up to gear 4 it stays in gear for longer than it should. It's similar to when you used to have a choke on an older car and it over revved. I have taken it to a couple of approved garages locally but they cannot find a problem when plugged in to the computer. Does anybody have any info on this problem. Thanks pete
Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S55 Designo
Originally Posted by Petevickers
When I set off in the car it changes gear normally from 1st to second at low revs and then up to gear 4 it stays in gear for longer than it should. It's similar to when you used to have a choke on an older car and it over revved. I have taken it to a couple of approved garages locally but they cannot find a problem when plugged in to the computer. Does anybody have any info on this problem. Thanks pete
Our cars are equipped with an adaptive transmission, meaning if you just cruise around all day your car will shift at lower points, driving aggressivly your car will hold its shifts at a higher point. After about 30-40 shifts it will readapt. You can reset the throttle settings manually by turning the key to the last position (on position) press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it for 5 secs, turn the key off with the throttle still depressed. then wait a minute for it to reset.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55
It's only ever driven at reasonable speeds and after a long drive it's the same but that method sounds like it's worth a try so I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice