S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Driver's seat no longer goes back for exit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S500, 2008 smart fortwo, 2001 SLK320 6-spd (Father's car)
Unhappy Driver's seat no longer goes back for exit

Last weekend, I decided to let my 16 year old daughter drive the S500 (2003). She is somewhat shorter than me, and as such had to move the seat pretty far forward to be in a good driving position. In the process, the seat cushion retracted to its full back position.

Later, when I took over, I pressed my memory button, and the seat moved back to position for me, but the cushion did not move. I lived with it, and checked the forum later for tips on resolving. I found the suggestion to move the seat to its full travel positions (forward and back) in order to reset the range, and that worked, the cushion now extends when in my memory setting.

However, upon conducting this reset, the driver seat moving back upon exit stopped working. I tried turning the feature off and back on in the cluster (MFD); I tried moving it back manually upon exit (the sunroof memorizes the intermediate stop point, so I thought the seat may as well); and finally I tried a complete reset (R button), and then re-selected all the features. Still, does not move when I pull the key and/or open the door. The steering wheel does move up, and moves back down when I start the car/turn the key on.

I have not yet tried pulling any fuses to force a different kind of reset, nor have I disconnected the battery. I did also try the range reset procedure again, hoping that it would decide to reset the exit function this time, same result.

I am hoping someone has some other ideas on the next approach I should try. I have to admit, when I got the car, I didn't like how far back the seat did move for exit. But now it's become an expectation, and I miss it.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S500, 2008 smart fortwo, 2001 SLK320 6-spd (Father's car)
And there was much rejoicing!!

Thanks to my wife (she reported that it was moving back for her exit - different key, and she's shorter than me), and SkyLaw (advised that there is a base limit forward which must be realized before it will move on exit), I went and tried again. Upon moving the seat ever so slightly forward from my set position, and removing the key, it backed up (well beyond my set position). So, it seems that my setting is right on the threshold (I'm ~5'10").

Problem solved, thank you both!!