S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

power steering problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 AMG - S65 AMG - 599 HGTE
power steering problem

Hi guys.

I am having some problems with my '08 S65 AMG's power steering. The problem is, it's a little bit heavy but not as heavy as like there's no power.

I have noticed the issue when I tried to park with parking assist, first everything seemed ok, the car guided me when found a parking spot, then I hit ok to engage parking assist, the car started to back up a little then I noticed the steering wheel doesn't turn itself. And then the "auto park off" kinda warning popped off on the cluster. After that I went out to drive for a couple of miles, and noticed the steering wheel does not come back to the center position or turn itself when I take my hands off, for example I am making a left turn and then I take my hands off but the car still going left like the steering is stuck. It's like driving a G-wagen

So I took it to the dealer, they told it could be a valve failure in the steering rack and they have changed it today but it didn't work out. So they are suspicious about the steering pump but there are no error or fault codes shown when they run fault check on star diagnosis device or whatever.

So in conclusion, I do have power steering but not as smooth as an S-Class should be.

Anyone suffered from this problem?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg 2005
Originally Posted by tuki
Hi guys.

I am having some problems with my '08 S65 AMG's power steering. The problem is, it's a little bit heavy but not as heavy as like there's no power.

I have noticed the issue when I tried to park with parking assist, first everything seemed ok, the car guided me when found a parking spot, then I hit ok to engage parking assist, the car started to back up a little then I noticed the steering wheel doesn't turn itself. And then the "auto park off" kinda warning popped off on the cluster. After that I went out to drive for a couple of miles, and noticed the steering wheel does not come back to the center position or turn itself when I take my hands off, for example I am making a left turn and then I take my hands off but the car still going left like the steering is stuck. It's like driving a G-wagen

So I took it to the dealer, they told it could be a valve failure in the steering rack and they have changed it today but it didn't work out. So they are suspicious about the steering pump but there are no error or fault codes shown when they run fault check on star diagnosis device or whatever.

So in conclusion, I do have power steering but not as smooth as an S-Class should be.

Anyone suffered from this problem?
Mb steering doesnt return to center by itself, thats the way it's designed...
Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 AMG - S65 AMG - 599 HGTE
Originally Posted by luisdiazelite
Mb steering doesnt return to center by itself, thats the way it's designed...
Okay, so it explains why it doesn't turn with parking assist then. "That's the way it's designed" right? lol
Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg 2005
What i ment is that thouse two "symptoms" have no correlation. The first is a real issue, the second is not. Sorry for not being that precise.