S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

My Barrowed 2001 S55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 AMG S55
My Barrowed 2001 S55

The original owner of this 2001 AMG S55 is my Father in Law's Brother in Law, who gave it to my father in law a few years ago because he owed him money.

My father in law graciously is letting my barrow this beast for the next few months while I wait for my new car order to come in.

It is a 2001 AMG S55, with over 150k miles on it! Being 15 years old, and having that many miles on it, I am amazed that everything still works, and how tight it feels. I love how it can be incredibly smooth, but can also be incredibly aggressive as well. Also, the sound it makes is just beautiful! Also, the cornering ability and grip this thing has, almost seems unnatural for a huge 4200lb sedan like this!

Here are a couple of pics:

My Barrowed 2001 S55-s55-20side_zpsyyvzjyw5.jpg

My Barrowed 2001 S55-s55-20engine_zpsikpb2qtk.jpg

My Barrowed 2001 S55-s55-20cluster_zpsfosg9b6r.jpg
Old 03-08-2016, 12:21 PM

2001 AMG S55
I have been using this as my DD now for a couple of weeks, and I have only noticed 2 issues:

1. Very Slight Stumble at Idle
2. Brief Flash Red ABC Warning light when going over speed bumps, or bumps in the road.

After doing some research, I found that the likely culprit of #2 was an Accumulator.

The following 2 links were the most helpful for finding this out:

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html

http://fotifixes.com/2015/01/18/how-...rcedes-cl-215/

I noticed the warning only came up when my rear wheels were going over the bump, so I assumed it was the Rear Accumulator.

After some cross-referencing, I was able to confirm the correct part:

The Corteco W0133-1819615-CFW is the equivalent of the MB Part# 2203270115

https://infopart.org/corteco-80001406-part

Amazon.com: Freudenberg - NOK Accumulator: Automotive Amazon.com: Freudenberg - NOK Accumulator: Automotive
Old 03-08-2016, 12:48 PM

2001 AMG S55
This last weekend, I was finally able to find some time to replace the part.

Before I ordered the part, I was looking for pictures of the Rear ABC Accumulator on a W220 chassis, but couldn't find anything. Luckily, it was easy to find, and not too terribly hard to access.

It is located on the Passenger Side Rear, underneath the Muffler, and to the right of the Spare Tire Carrier.

My Barrowed 2001 S55-w220-20rear-20abc-20accumilator-203_zps51vujet4.jpg

My Barrowed 2001 S55-w220-20rear-20abc-20accumilator-202_zpswsafzgmw.jpg

First I chocked the front tires, and jacked up the rear of the car via the differential. I then placed jacks on the rear jack pads/points. I kept the jack on the rear diff at all times, for safety reasons. There is nothing better then a good set of Jack Stands! I use the 3-ton ESCO Jack Stands

Amazon.com: ESCO 10498 Jack Stand, 3 Ton Capacity: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: ESCO 10498 Jack Stand, 3 Ton Capacity: Industrial & Scientific

My Barrowed 2001 S55-s55-20jack-20stand_zpsj1xrrhzu.jpg

In order to relief the pressure in the ABC System, you need to leave the rear wheels off the ground for atleast 30 min. By the time I had gotten access to the Accumulator, it was about 1 hour.

In order to access all of the Accumulator's Mounting Nuts, I had to lower the rear portion of the exhaust, and the heat-shield (Which covers one of the mounting nuts). Luckily, it seems like MB used a stainless steel exhaust, as well as all of the hardware. I had no stuck/seized nuts or bolts to fight with.

I first removed the clamp the connects the Pass Side rear portion of the exhaust. After doing that, the rear portion of the exhaust pipe was able to slide in and out of its connection. Then I removed the nut/bolt that holds the 2 mufflers together. I then removed the 2 other exhaust hangers. I found it easier to just remove the entire mounts and brackets, as it was hard to remove the hangers from the rubber mounts. Before I removed the last (Rear) mount, I put a jack under the Muffler, so it wouldn't drop.

I found that I didn't have to completely remove the muffler, which was nice because that sucker is heavy! I was able to slide the Exhaust back a few inches, and rotate, while it was still in (but loose) the midpipe section.

My Barrowed 2001 S55-mb-20s55-20exhaust-20drop_zpsgo7qkip8.jpg

From there, the only thing that was in my way was the heat shield. I removed the 2 bolts that hold it onto the Spare Tire Carrier, and bent the shield down, to access the Accumulator's Mount Nut.

I then loosed the hydraulic line to the Accumulator (17mm Box Wrench), then undid the mount nuts. I them mounted up the new accumulator, and tightened the hydraulic line, then re-assembled everything. I would say I lost about 1/8 a cup of Hydraulic fluid.

After everything was put back together, I cleaned the ABC Fluid reservoir, then checked the levels. When I was having the issue, the level had always stayed at the low (Engine off) level, whether the engine was on or not. My level hadn't changed so I started the car, and cycled the height control about 10 times. I then filled the ABC reservoir, with the engine running, to the top of the (Engine On) mark. I would say I used about 2/3s of the 1 liter of ABC Fluid I bought.

Since the change, I no longer receive any more ABC Warning lights, and the rear suspension seems to be tighter as well. It feels pretty good to get this fixed for only about $160, and about 3 hours of work!