S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

A/C not lowing cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
A/C not lowing cold

I mean, not blowing cold....

I added a killer chiller with the track option, which is essentially an electric valve that shuts off flow of freon to the cabin evaporator. System was working fine for just over a week. Much colder IAT's. Gets down to under 60* on a heat soaked engine going down the freeway. Never goes over 113* at idle.

Suddenly it just quit. No signs of a refrigerant leak. Tried the reset and no change. Scanned and tested with my STAR which says low refrigerant or a bad compressor. I think it is not likely my compressor just happened to die after 9 days of the killer chiller install. A little searching on line led me to find out there is a cabin evaporator core temperature sensor. If it goes bad it gives a reading not in line with the expected value. When this happens the system shuts down.

Now I have been driving with the valve closed to the cabin evaporator almost 100% of the time, so the discrepancy between core temp and expected temp could have triggered the shut down. I plan to take it to a buddy's shop this week to have them check the refrigerant. If get checks out I'm stuck considering a new compressor.

Anyone have any experience with the A/C system shutting down due to the core temp sensor, and if so, how did you get it back on line?
_________

Last edited by Dr Matt; 05-08-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 S65 AMG W220 12.31@119_MPH (Stock)
I would start with checking the pressures. May be it developed a leak which is why STAR reported possible low refrigerant? As for the bad compressor, that would be on the assumption that your refrigerant is full.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Turns out the valve for the drag kit leaked out all the refrigerant. Only had .1#'s left. Posted pics in the thread I started in the CL forum. See thread and pics here: https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...ting-cold.html

Last edited by Dr Matt; 05-11-2016 at 03:46 AM.