S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

New S63 Owner - Wheel Upgrade Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 S63 AMG
Exclamation New S63 Owner - Wheel Upgrade Advice Needed

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2009 S63 AMG locally here in Houston (34K). The car is fitted with stock 5 spoke split 20" wheels all around (8.5"F & 9.5"R). I like the wheels and think the car looks great, but I LOVE the 2015 S63/65 14 spoke titanium alloys and just have to have some!

Research on my vehicle shows that the wheels have an ET (offset) of 43mm on my wheels and the ET on the 2015 AMG alloys is 39mm. Some research leads me to believe that this means my current wheels effectively stand 4mm prouder to the outside of the vehicle (yielding 4mm of additional clearance between the rim's interior and the strut/brake assembly).

My question, is this an acceptable swap-and-go exchange in terms of driving quality or are there other considerations that need to be addressed to make this swap work?

I did read somewhere (from a seller on Ebay) that 1.5mm would need to be 'milled off of the front wheels for a perfect fit' - but I don't understand what that means.

Thank you to anyone who can help this newbie out with some sound advice. This is my first Benz and I want it to be perfect!

Cheers,

Simon
Attached Thumbnails New S63 Owner - Wheel Upgrade Advice Needed-2009-s63-amg.jpg   New S63 Owner - Wheel Upgrade Advice Needed-2015-amg-rims.jpg  
Old 05-29-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
Originally Posted by sbainb
Hello all,

I just purchased a 2009 S63 AMG locally here in Houston (34K). The car is fitted with stock 5 spoke split 20" wheels all around (8.5"F & 9.5"R). I like the wheels and think the car looks great, but I LOVE the 2015 S63/65 14 spoke titanium alloys and just have to have some!

Research on my vehicle shows that the wheels have an ET (offset) of 43mm on my wheels and the ET on the 2015 AMG alloys is 39mm. Some research leads me to believe that this means my current wheels effectively stand 4mm prouder to the outside of the vehicle (yielding 4mm of additional clearance between the rim's interior and the strut/brake assembly).

My question, is this an acceptable swap-and-go exchange in terms of driving quality or are there other considerations that need to be addressed to make this swap work?

I did read somewhere (from a seller on Ebay) that 1.5mm would need to be 'milled off of the front wheels for a perfect fit' - but I don't understand what that means.

Thank you to anyone who can help this newbie out with some sound advice. This is my first Benz and I want it to be perfect!

Cheers,

Simon
Congrats on the purchase! You might have more luck getting info on the non amg w221 section