S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

ABS light on, Speedo not working, Fuel level inaccurate...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 AMG S55, 1973 BMW E12 520
Unhappy ABS light on, Speedo not working, Fuel level inaccurate...

Hello everyone!

I give up. I tried my best to fix the abovementioned issues with my 2001 S55, NA version.

For the ABS light, the only DTC I get from the scanner is "operational check component B24/15 (Rotary speed and lateral accel sensor): active".

This has been attributed (on some of these forums) to the yaw sensor, duly changed, no result.

The speedo refuses to move, with no apparent reason, and Fuel Level gauge moves between full and 3/4; at this point I have to go immediately to the station as there's no fuel left.

Fuel level sender was also changed last week as per the DTC above (DTC has disappeared), again no result.

Speed sensors are working, fuses all around are in good working order, scanner gives me no clue (even the autel one). Any ideas? I am thinking of going to the dealer, but it feels like I failed. It could be the instrument cluster, but rpms and temp show fine, and the only malfunction I get from the information screen is "sidelight R - check bulb" which BTW is working fine. Please help...

Last edited by MiguelAngel21; 10-08-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
These clusters on the W220 are known issues. A few years back Mercedes extended the warranty on them for 10 years because they sucked so much.
On the back side of the cluster the Mosfits, little electronic parts burn off the board and go crazy. Good luck
Johan
The following users liked this post:
MiguelAngel21 (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 AMG S55, 1973 BMW E12 520
Ok, so I went to the dealer, who checked everything and found nothing wrong with the instrument cluster or the sensor. The guys told me that a "road test" had been started at some point for not carried out fuly or ended properly. They told me to go back tomorrow after 5 pm so they'd have the time to perform the test properly and end this nonsense.

As for the fuel level, they are baffled too... they thought that the car had two fuel level senders, like in more modern cars, so when I showed them they were surprised too.

On the plus side, they seem interested in my issues and didn't act like they know everything, which is a nice way to behave for a dealer. So far, this hasn't cost me a dime, so I'll go back tomorrow and see how that goes.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (10-10-2016)