S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Key fob issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
06 S65
Key fob issues

My car said I had a low battery in my key fob. So I went to the cabinet and pulled out a new battery. Of course this was after watching a YouTube video or two on how to change the battery. The key came open simple enough and I changed the battery. Now it doesn't work. One of the differences from all the YouTube videos I'm seeing, is that my fob only accepts one battery. Prior to changing the battery, all of the buttons on the fob work, and the keyless go work. I can't imagine that the internals of the key fob happened to fail simultaneously at the same time I change the battery. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2016, 02:45 PM

06 S65
Quick video of disassembled fob

Originally Posted by jlg32281
My car said I had a low battery in my key fob. So I went to the cabinet and pulled out a new battery. Of course this was after watching a YouTube video or two on how to change the battery. The key came open simple enough and I changed the battery. Now it doesn't work. One of the differences from all the YouTube videos I'm seeing, is that my fob only accepts one battery. Prior to changing the battery, all of the buttons on the fob work, and the keyless go work. I can't imagine that the internals of the key fob happened to fail simultaneously at the same time I change the battery. Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/f6Dbr-uPYrs
Old 10-15-2016, 05:29 PM

06 S65
I fixed it. It turns out I had two separate packs of bad batteries. I went out on a limb and bought a 3rd pack of batteries from a different store and it works fine now. Now the question I have is, should both of my fobs work with keyless go?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
Originally Posted by jlg32281
I fixed it. It turns out I had two separate packs of bad batteries. I went out on a limb and bought a 3rd pack of batteries from a different store and it works fine now. Now the question I have is, should both of my fobs work with keyless go?
Depends- if it is a keyless go fob it should. If it was a standard fob it wont. Not sure how to tell them apart maybe someone else can chime in. Keyless go fobs are almost 500 at the dealer and a standard fob is 200, but they look the same. if its a newer style chrome key, then it wont be a keyless go fob.